43 replies to this topic

#16 Tamber

Tamber

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Thank you all for making things crystal clear. And KarenG, you were right; I'm still ducking behind that piece of furniture.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Its not the same thing.  A diabetic can have carbs or sugar if they adjust what they eat and thier insulin.  We can't adjust anything to make the body not attack our intestines from the presence of gluten. 

You might want to think of it more like rat poison - a small amount probably won't kill you.  Might make you feel sick for a day or 2.  Do you choose to eat rat poison?

Also, you may not heal if you keep eating gluten once a week or once a month.  It can take months to get the body to stop making the antibodies and then heal the intestines.  If your intestines are damaged, even if you don't feel them, you are not able to absorb the nutrients you need.  This leads to many things like bone loss, teeth/mouth issues, nerve damage/ataxia, a rare cancer or two, infertility (looks like new studies show this is in male & females), etc.

You don't seem to want to take it seriously, but I hope you will for your health.

Actually, diabetics should never cheat.  My brother is a Type 1 and he has cheated his whole life by playing games with his insulin.  As a result, his kidneys are shot and he's a mess in every way.  The whole notion that it's OK for diabetics to cheat is ridiculous. You still damage your body when you continually play with insulin levels to keep yourself from elevated sugar levels.  That's why so many get so sick later in life. 

#18 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

No problem :) we are only being harsh yet truthful because we want you to live a healthy life and this is serious stuff. Welcome :!

#19 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Actually, diabetics should never cheat.  My brother is a Type 1 and he has cheated his whole life by playing games with his insulin.  As a result, his kidneys are shot and he's a mess in every way.  The whole notion that it's OK for diabetics to cheat is ridiculous. You still damage your body when you continually play with insulin levels to keep yourself from elevated sugar levels.  That's why so many get so sick later in life. 

I guess I mean that they can incorporate a little bit of birthday cake by adjusting what else they eat & when they eat. Not blatant " cheating". I think people see a diabetic eating a small amount of a dessert and think its " cheating".

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Welcome to the forum Tamber! :)

I hope that's a big couch you are hiding behind!  People love to answer these kinds of questions.

My own contribution is linked below:

How bad is cheating?
http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

There are many gluten-free food options now a days.  You can find gluten-free bread, cookies, cake mixes, cereals, brownies pretzels, pizza, donuts etc.  And you can make your own also.  Udi's bread is pretty good.  But mostly  I use Mission corn tortillas or Rudi's wraps.  After your eating habits adjust a bit you can find many foods that are just as good and better for you.  Many times gluten-free baked goods are in a freezer compartment at the grocery.  I suggest you go very easy on the replacement gluten-free products for a while tho.  They aren't the same and that can be disappointing.  Plus they may be more expensive, tho not always.

It is really good for your body to do the gluten-free diet right.  Eat whole foods like meats, veggies, nuts, fruits instead of packaged, boxed goods.  Make your meals at home and take them to work or outings.  Or take oranges or apples etc with you when you go out so you have a quick snack that you know is safe to eat.  You'll learn about safe gluten free foods faster if you do your own cooking.

And remember, we all started out the same way on the gluten-free diet, scratching our heads and wondering what we were going to eat now.  The infamous phrase "It gets easier after a while" is something you'll learn first hand also.  Congrats on your new gluten-free life and diet that can lead to a healthier and happier you! :)

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods.
Avoid alcohol.

Helpful threads:

FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?
http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#21 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm new to this forum and newly diagnosed. I have NO digestive symptoms but understand that gluten still has a negative impact on my body - lower bone density, elevated D, etc.

Since those who are very gluten sensitive still eat out and sometimes accidentally ingest gluten, how about people like me ? Does anyone out there intentionally cheat ? How many times per month is it safe enough to get a gluten fix ?

The correct answer if you have Celiac actually diagnosed is none, as others have posted. Having said that, plenty of people engage in unhealthy activities, knowing they are doing themselves some potential harm (e.g. smoking, alcohol, etc and I ate both ice cream and a chocolate bar last night after dinner, so who am I to talk?).

The real answer to your question is that there is no answer. Everyone is different. I am not DXed celiac, but gluten intolerant (sensitivity, or whatever the correct terminology is these days). I can eat substantial gluten (like one slice of pizza or a sandwich on regular bread) approximately 1-3 times/month without getting GI and other symptoms. However, I did have symptoms (GI and other) before I went gluten-free (unlike you I have something that I can use to gage the effects on my body).

edit: oh, and as an addendum I would add that if you really want to "cheat", then why not save cheating for times when you may have no other choice (like when traveling or something)? Just a thought...

#22 Melissa.77

Melissa.77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Well I to am new to this site and as well as being diagnose about a month ago. I have been suffering for years with migranes,colds,flu pnemonia and many other things it was hard for me. Im now been diagnosed and am in realy bad shape from what my dr has said bbut still am having a hard time with eating glutin free as I have 4 kids and make them dinner everyday and watch them eat the stuff I love. So after a few weeks had went by and I decided how bad would one piece of pizza realy be to me. Yes I ate it and let me tell you with in 10 minutes I was so sick and had the worst migrane I had ever had. I had to lay in bed with a bucket by the bed and couldnt even open eyes to see where I was puking at that point I realized its not worth fighting and must learn to live with what I had been dealt with. I have a friend who is very athletic who was recently diagnosed with Ms and there is no cure for that. With that being said we have a choice to live and be healthy some dont. So please just dont fight it and yes it's ok to be angry we all go thru it but please dont fight it.Good Luck to You.

#23 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I guess I mean that they can incorporate a little bit of birthday cake by adjusting what else they eat & when they eat. Not blatant " cheating". I think people see a diabetic eating a small amount of a dessert and think its " cheating".

No...I see diabetics cheating all the time.  Donuts whenever people bring them in, dessert with lunch and loading up on sweets at holidays.  My brother was not good about his diet for years and constantly manipulated his insulin levels.  He is a health disaster now but I also think he has Celiac. However, the diet is not convenient for him and he believes whatever the AMA tells him, so he won't hear it.  His kidneys are almost gone and he will need an organ transplant at some point.

Personally, I think being a diabetic is much harder than being a Celiac. We don't have to keep track of carb amounts and figure out how much insulin to use.

#24 Lima Bean

Lima Bean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

NO Cheating! 

For all the reasons above!  Welcome to the club!  :lol: 

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Welcome, Tamber!

It's okay, hon--c'mon out from behind the couch :lol:

We do get a little "excited" shall we say? about the "cheating question", but it's only because we care and because most of us had some serious complications and developed additional AI diseases from long undiagnosed celiac disease, so we are trying to spare you all that misery.

The only treatment for celiac is the gluten-free diet. So, adhere to it STRICTLY to the best of your ability and live a long, healthy life.

Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#26 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

This stuff can kill you.

This is the bottom line .

Welcome to the forums :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#27 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hi Tamber, again.

I just wanted to say welcome again, and it's okay to want to cheat. And one cheat will no kill you, nor another cheat. I know many people in my small town who cheat, although diagnosed.  It's all about choices.

When I do get careless, it takes a day out of my life, listless on the sofa and I'm confined to home ( and I suffer less than others).  AND, why waste a day and why waste a day of good health.?

Go for the good stuff and live well.  And you know, what's right for you.  I am confident you will choose wiselyl  You will make the right choice. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#28 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

I was a bit careless yesterday, and for the first time in a long time something rose up and bit me :ph34r:   I am really miffed with myself because who needs to feel like #*&T when they could be out having fun :rolleyes:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#29 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

I was a bit careless yesterday, and for the first time in a long time something rose up and bit me :ph34r:   I am really miffed with myself because who needs to feel like #*&T when they could be out having fun :rolleyes:

Hope you feel better today. xxxooo    Today is tomorrow. Feel beter  Mushrooms!

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#30 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hope you feel better today. xxxooo    Today is tomorrow. Feel beter  Mushrooms!

Thanks!  Still trying to find something to eat other than yogurt that does not make me feel like barfing.  Think I'll make some veggie soup :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009