This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Uticaria, Lactose, Blood Type

Trixlm

Trixlm Newbie

A few funky topics in one :rolleyes:

I don't have my follow up visit until next month to discuss any further diagnosing considering I can't help to be gluten-free and feeling wonderful!  But now I'm starting to notice that when I have any bit of dairy besides eggs, I don't seem to have problems with eggs...  I get the severe sharp stomach pains and bloating.  Are my symptoms to other possible food allergies amplified because of a "cleaner diet" transition?  I've always ignored my gi symptoms in the past so I'm wondering if I've always been kind of lactose and just recently noticing or can other post gluten-free reactions to other things exacerbate once you go through process of elimination?  Now I'm nervous I really have to cut out dairy...

Last night I was using a massage chair and started getting hives... I have physical/exercise uticaria and was wondering if anyone had something like this and if it would all be linked somehow.  It's not been as bad since I've been off gluten but I still get them sometimes.  Like if I run on the treadmill or run outside I start getting welts in between my thighs, burning itching all over my body.  Or if I get a back massage and the person starts to do the "chopping" massage I get hives as well and if I wash my car with my garden hose the cold water pressure that hits my legs will give me horrible itching, burning, welts :( .

Is there any correlation with blood type and celiacs/gluten intolerance?  The "blood type" diet was part of a conversation my co-workers were having and what's interesting is that its suggested that people with blood type 0 should be on more of a "paleo" style diet considering it is the "ancient" blood type, the newer food groups like dairy, grains, etc are difficult for the body to process.  My blood type is 0 and was wondering if there are any celiacs that are as well.  I don't expect this but what some research is saying is that about 50% of type 0 are celiacs.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'm not surw about your "research" on blood types.   Please share it.  Type 0 is the most common blood type, it might make sense that its the most common type among people with Celiac.

Open Original Shared Link

O positive is the most common blood type. Not all ethnic groups have the same mix of these blood types. Hispanic people, for example, have a relatively high number of O’s, while Asian people have a relatively high number of B’s. The mix of the different blood types in the U.S. population is:

Caucasians
African American
Hispanic
Asian
O +
37%
47%
53%
39%
O -
8%
4%
4%
1%
A +
33%
24%
29%
27%
A -
7%
2%
2%
0.5%
B +
9%
18%
9%
25%
B -
2%
1%
1%
0.4%
AB +
3%
4%
2%
7%
AB -
1%
0.3%
0.2%
0.1%

This table didn't copy well.  Look at the link.

Trixlm Newbie

This is a link that goes over Dr. Peter J. Adamo's blood type philosophy...  I don't expect it to work for everyone or be followed but I thought it was interesting! :)  Was curious if anyone followed it and it makes sense that a majority of celiacs are type o because of how common the blood type is, I didn't know that! Its geared more towards weight loss but I feel that the layout it provides makes sense if in fact you have some of these food allergies that it suggests you to avoid. I thought it was neat how it lined up to the fact that I started noticing my trouble with dairy, certain grains and how I need to be active and love being active even though I have been suffering from fatigue. There's also information on other blood types.  Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

.  I don't expect this but what some research is saying is that about 50% of type 0 are celiacs.

This is a link that goes over Dr. Peter J. Adamo's blood type philosophy...  I don't expect it to work for everyone or be followed but I thought it was interesting! :)  Was curious if anyone followed it and it makes sense that a majority of celiacs are type o because of how common the blood type is, I didn't know that! Its geared more towards weight loss but I feel that the layout it provides makes sense if in fact you have some of these food allergies that it suggests you to avoid. I thought it was neat how it lined up to the fact that I started noticing my trouble with dairy, certain grains and how I need to be active and love being active even though I have been suffering from fatigue. There's also information on other blood types.  Open Original Shared Link

So basically, there is no research about blood type and Celiac.  As I remember, this guy has no real medical evidence of most of the "info" in his book.  Its was just a fad diet book.

janpell Apprentice

What? Another with the same symptoms I get while exercising? And with a name! Awesome, really.

I have tried many diets to help with my AI conditions, blood type included. I found the Arthritis protocol worked well for me as it eliminated all inflammatory foods - gluten, dairy, nightshades, soy, alcohol and it was very low carb, yes I am an O. I was impressed and moved onto the suggested SWAMI which is personalized, I guess, to me. Well, it brought back many of my symptoms and didn't work for me. I am dairy intolerant too and am having a hard time with it. Just tested cheese (mozarella) again today and my face is somewhat burning now (within 10 minutes of consuming). I would have to meet a A type to try both paleo and the blood type to get me fully convinced. My body is pretty sensitive and I can react pretty quickly to foods so on the blood type diet apples are shunned but I don't get a reaction when I eat them - figs are a superfood but I start burning within 10-15 minutes. I still suggest a food journal and elimination diet over anything else.

Trixlm Newbie

So basically, there is no research about blood type and Celiac.  As I remember, this guy has no real medical evidence of most of the "info" in his book.  Its was just a fad diet book.

Sorry I didn't want to provide misleading information just thought it was interesting.

Trixlm Newbie

What? Another with the same symptoms I get while exercising? And with a name! Awesome, really.

I have tried many diets to help with my AI conditions, blood type included. I found the Arthritis protocol worked well for me as it eliminated all inflammatory foods - gluten, dairy, nightshades, soy, alcohol and it was very low carb, yes I am an O. I was impressed and moved onto the suggested SWAMI which is personalized, I guess, to me. Well, it brought back many of my symptoms and didn't work for me. I am dairy intolerant too and am having a hard time with it. Just tested cheese (mozarella) again today and my face is somewhat burning now (within 10 minutes of consuming). I would have to meet a A type to try both paleo and the blood type to get me fully convinced. My body is pretty sensitive and I can react pretty quickly to foods so on the blood type diet apples are shunned but I don't get a reaction when I eat them - figs are a superfood but I start burning within 10-15 minutes. I still suggest a food journal and elimination diet over anything else.

Yeah the hives with exercise is weird. My mom has it as well! And I agree on the process of elimination diet. I match that of what that diet says but I understand that it's not backed with medical research so it wouldn't apply to everyone. Sucks with the dairy issue because I love cheese on everything ;(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I am very familiar with all the heat/exercise related symptoms - for me this continued to get worse even after my celiac diagnosis -- an awful lot of reading and research led me to Histamine Intolerance (HIT) - you see, when we exercise our bodies produce histamine -- in a healthy body histamine is regulated by enzymes that are created in the mucosal lining of the small intestine -- those with celiac disease have damage to the small intestine -- so it makes it very difficult for some of us to regulate histamine. 

Limiting histamine containing and histamine inducing foods has helped me tremendously -- still researching as much as I can about "HIT" as it is not something US doctors are very well versed in.

As for the blood type diet -- I am familiar with the principles of this -- as far as I know there is no correlation between blood type and celiac disease -- I have O- and my kids/grands have different blood types.

Trixlm Newbie

As with any other allergy you could possibly eventually have an anaphylaxic reaction right? I mean how can you tell... I get scared sometimes since it gets triggered so differently.. I don't want to be in a Zumba class and collapse.. I notice when I do I turn bright red and feel like I'm on fire then ill have shortness of breath because of activity induced asthma :|.. Is it getting better for you now? I feel like the more I take time to realize all this the more I feel like my list of problems rise lol.. Is it from some brain fog lifting :P so I just checked out your list and it sounds a lot like me! Do you mainly eat whole foods? I looked at a hit food list and it makes gluten-free in addition to this more restricted. This is tough :( if it helped you with your heat intolerance/exercise reactions I really might have to try.

GottaSki Mentor

Yep - removing histimane foods has helped quite a bit. I can now be out in the sunshine as long as I don't push it. I can ride my bike or run as long as it is under 65F and walk up to low 70s - for me this is a huge improvement.

I am hopeful that I am finally healing my small intestine and will eventually get many of the foods I have removed back - just not anytime soon.

And yes I carry benedryl, inhaler and Epi pens when I excerise - well everywhere - but especially when I am exercising.

Juliebove Rising Star

Just so you know...  Eggs are not dairy.  I have always gotten hives easily.  Not always a known cause.  Dairy does make me sick but I don't have celiac.

janpell Apprentice

Trxlm, I relate to your point about the fog lifting and finally "seeing things". I has taken me two full years to get to a point where I see a food causing a reaction. I personally react to all inflammatory foods (except red meat and eggs) so the list is pretty extensive. I can have most things in moderation but find soy, peanuts, gluten and dairy (not so much butter) have to be kept out. I do find the more I eliminate and stick to a very restricted diet the better I feel and do. Tough lifestyle though while facing others because they think I am a whacko.

The burning, itchy rash mostly happens when I exercise outside in cooler weather.

GottaSki Mentor

Just realized that I didn't answer about whole foods -- I often forget my signature is so long perhaps it is not clear what I actually eat.

Meat, Fish, Almonds, Vegies that do not contain or induce histamine production -- limited fruits - mostly apples and pears -- occasional other fruits, but never citrus or bananas.

I use almond and coconut flour to make muffins and limit my oil to coconut with a touch of olive oil.

Life is much better now that I feel much better -- was very difficult to keep losing foods without much improvement -- now that I'm vertical it is easy to make lots of yummy things with my limited food list.

Archived