14 replies to this topic

#1 durrsakja

durrsakja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I was recently diagnosed with celiac. A month into the gluten free diet it seems I developed multiple true food allergies (dairy, nuts, avocado etc etc). Still waiting for test results to confirm exactly how many foods I am allergic to but I have all the symptoms including hives, itchy mouth and throat swelling, feeling lighheaded etc.

I have removed a lot of foods from my diet but my question is how common it is to develop actual allergies and does it go away once healing your gut? I was expecting food intolerances but I have never had allergies in my life. It's the icing on top of the gluten-free cake!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I developed an allergy to tomatos after going gluten free. I used to love tomato sauce though. After the diet change my body started to react to them (head, neck, and shoulders would feel like they were on fire). I went to an allergist and he did the skin test, and indeed, a massive hive showed up on that one. Without a doubt, i am allergic to them.

Before this, I had no food allergies.

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

I haven't developed any new food allergies, but got a new allergy anyway. I guess I decided to be allergic to penicillin last summer. I can not begin to describe the joys of that. I believe I am also developing some chemical allergies as sometimes around certain types of colognes and perfumes (I haven't identified which, but certain people for sure) I find I begin to have trouble breathing and find myself gasping for air. I also can no longer shop in candle aisles, or cleaning aisles of stores without holding my breath or I risk the same reaction. I hold out hope every day that this continues to not apply to foods.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I haven't developed any new food allergies, but got a new allergy anyway. I guess I decided to be allergic to penicillin last summer. I can not begin to describe the joys of that. I believe I am also developing some chemical allergies as sometimes around certain types of colognes and perfumes (I haven't identified which, but certain people for sure) I find I begin to have trouble breathing and find myself gasping for air. I also can no longer shop in candle aisles, or cleaning aisles of stores without holding my breath or I risk the same reaction. I hold out hope every day that this continues to not apply to foods.

I've had a milder version of that (bad headaches, sore/dry throat, dizzyness) long before my diet change. Not fun at all.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

This has happened to me.  It makes it hard to figure out if I have been glutened or if it's one of my problem foods b/c the reactions are similar digestive wise.  Like Shadow, I can't tolerate tomatoes or any type of tomato sauce.  I can have a little ketchup but that is all.  I use to drink milk daily and now that gives me major issues and migraines.  I also am very intolerant of any grain.  Right now, I am grain free but the corn keeps sneaking in.  Corn is in everything.

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Adalaide, what do you use to clean your bathrooms with?  I am becoming more and more sensitive to chemicals.  

#7 durrsakja

durrsakja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

From reading forums and blogs I expected certain foods (dairy, grains etc) to be problematic and give me gastro symptoms however I did not expect throat swelling and carrying an epi pen around! So frustrating :(

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

This has happened to me.  It makes it hard to figure out if I have been glutened or if it's one of my problem foods b/c the reactions are similar digestive wise.  Like Shadow, I can't tolerate tomatoes or any type of tomato sauce.  I can have a little ketchup but that is all.  I use to drink milk daily and now that gives me major issues and migraines.  I also am very intolerant of any grain.  Right now, I am grain free but the corn keeps sneaking in.  Corn is in everything.

Lucky, I can't even do that. Of the two (gluten or tomatoes), I miss the tomatoes.

White vinegar is a very good cleaner. Do a part and part water with it and have at it.

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

There are a lot of natural cleaners, you can generally find one that suits your preferences online with a little poking around. I haven't started having a problem yet with my scrubbing bubbles so I am still using them so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that it holds out as long as possible.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Method has some more natural like cleaners.  Their website says that they are gluten free and safe for celiacs.  

#11 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

You know, one of the best cleaners is often overlooked. Dishwashing liquid and water. Cuts grease, doesn't stink, and it's cheap and easy to use. I put about a quarter inch into a spray bottle, fill it with water, and spray away. On some surfaces you will want to rinse using another spray bottle with plain water, but on kitchen counters and the like you don't even really need to rinse. When I was working in restaurants that was what we used at the end of the night to clean all surfaces.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I was just yesterday reading about a woman who uses only baking soda and white vinegar for cleaning, even for personal care like teeth and shampoo/conditioner. :huh:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I was just yesterday reading about a woman who uses only baking soda and white vinegar for cleaning, even for personal care like teeth and shampoo/conditioner. :huh:

Both are very good cleaners. Baking soda is a good alternative for tooth pastes. Apple cider vineger is a good hair wash.

#14 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

If your throat swells you need to get a prescription for an epi pen from your doc

As for cleaning I found when I had an all tile bathroo, we are talking walls and floor with a drain in the middle, tide free powder was awesome for cleaning, used it in the toilet as well, wet everything sprinkle it on scrub and rinse, was so much better than any other cleaners

#15 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

I become  allergic to all sorts of things after going gluten-free.

Spices

Eggs

Tomatoes

Herbal Tea

Celery

Squash

All citrus

Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds

Intolerant to corn & quinoa & dairy & soya & caffeine (digestive symptoms only)

Asthmatic, hives, eyes swelling, ezcema. Its an upward struggle for me at the moment, i'm survivng on fruit and veg (i'm vegetarian!)

I'm hoping its not permanent, I did feel better for a while, but now i am starting to not digest any food at all, and i have stomach pain... not great, but we live in hope ;)

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: