Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Did I Get Glutenened?

2 posts in this topic

Over a year ago I quit gluten after realizing a strong link between gluten and my sickness/fatigue/diarrhea.

The 'D' stopped once I quit and there was a noticable difference, thought I still felt icky because I didn't realize I also had IBS. I accidentally had a trace of gluten after quitting and the reaction was HORRIBLE, it was a week of severe bloating, constipation, insomnia and aching limbs and back.

I've been super careful ever since, and though food ordered in public can sometimes make me feel bad, I assumed it couldn't be gluten because I didn't get the immediate pain and drowsy foggy head I used to get.

But I've been wondering if my sensitivity could have reduced with time?

On monday night I ordered a pizza with custom toppings and a gluten free base, that night I had really bad insomnia and bloating. The next day I had to 'bolt' to the toilet for the first time in ages, but it's been constipation as well... last night I had  pain down the sides of my gut/waist, for the last four days I've felt really bloated, nauseaus, run down and tired with more trouble sleeping than usual. Could it be that I got glutened on monday?

Could it be lack of fiber in your diet? When I was diagnosed with IBS over 30 years ago, I was told stress was a big factor in IBS but fiber helped put it right. I had severe symptoms (I have IBS and coeliac disease) since bcoming coeliac, I have found it really difficult to get enough fibre in my diet. Years ago I was told I needed to consume 30 grams of fibre a day in order to prevent an attack and to stay well. As we all know a large proportion of fibre comes from wheat and gluten and Coeliacs have to find other sources of fibre e.g. Beans, corn etc. as you ate a pizza (gluten free) the other day, it may be that you had not had sufficient fibre in your diet that day, as pizzas do not contain much, if any fibre and that could be the cause of your attack and not gluten (?). Obviously, it's all speculative and you need to keep a food journal and look at how much fibre you are eating throughout the day. The way I look at it these days, is just because I have an 'off day' it's not necessarily gluten contamination that has caused it and I step back and look at the bigger picture.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

P.S. can you eat dairy? I still can't eat dairy and if I accidentally have any, my symptoms are the same as when I have cross-contamination with gluten.