This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Dinner Party

Janice Ann

Janice Ann Newbie

My husband invited twenty guests for dinner cooked by five visitors from another country. The young people started preparing the food at four, and I immediately got my ingredients separated to later cook myself. They fried the shrimp, cabbage and bell peppers in flour batter, and set the food on the tables. I didn’t get to start cooking my version of the food until 7:30 after everyone else was seated and some had finished eating. A family arrived late, with a child allergic to shrimp, so he couldn't eat the food on the table. My husband tried to take away my cooking gluten-free cakes to give to the child. I protected my gluten-free  supper with my arms while we shouted at each other. He finally got it into his head that my cakes had shrimp in them, or he would have taken my supper away from me. (He didn’t offer to cook the child a shrimp-free dinner with the excess two quarts of batter and gallon of chopped cabbage.)  Four frying pans were coated black with fried batter residue. So I wouldn’t throw them out, my husband scoured them with great resentment. He will have to use his power tools in the garage to get all the black off.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

We don't cook gluten in my kitchen. I want one place, in the entire world, where I know my food is safe.

Takala Enthusiast

Really, your husband should be up for some sort of .... of.... award for that.  Like "Mr. Clueless Glutenoid 2013, special category, potential anaphylactic reaction non family member successfully thwarted"  <_<  :ph34r:  :blink:

love2travel Mentor

Wow.  What a challenging situation!  Gluten is not allowed in our home which makes things easy peasy.  :)   No analyzing, no wondering what if??

frieze Community Regular

Frankly, I think you have challenges in your marriage totally unrelated to gluten....

thleensd Enthusiast

SO sorry to hear this. He has NO IDEA how horrible he is being. 

...look into separate kitchens (whatever that means to you) if he won't get gluten out of the house......

howlnmad Newbie

SO sorry to hear this. He has NO IDEA how horrible he is being. 

...look into separate kitchens (whatever that means to you) if he won't get gluten out of the house......

Maybe not seperate kitchens but.......

We do cook gluten foods in our home on occasion but all cookware is seperated. My wife has hers that have never been used for gluten foods and I have mine. We try to keep the gluten contained to one area only.

I will say that your husband is quite insensitive to your needs. At holidays or parties, my wife seperates her foods and it's "HANDS OFF" to everyone else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julissa Explorer

there's more going on here for sure than gluten problems. and my kitchen is gluten free as well. I do let them bring in food and eat it with plastic ware and they clean it up, but that's it. nothing cooks in my kitchen.

Archived