17 replies to this topic

#1 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

After almost two years of being gluten free and getting that totally under control I finally figured out what my one lingering issue was- I don't do we'll with corn products. I ate a lot of tortillas, tortilla chips, corn cereal, etc. before realizing this. I don't have a true allergy, I was tested and had no reaction and my symptoms are digestive rather than anaphylactic.

Anyway I have two questions -
1) HOW avoidant do I need to be? Is this like gluten (which I have to avoid all contact in any shape or form even cross contamination like the plague) or is it ok to have corn syrup, baking powder in baked goods, corn starch in beauty products?

2) Are there any resources online where I can learn more about this? When I was diagnosed Celiac I found a ton of info but I haven't been able to find a good resource for corn intolerance.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

I think Corn is just not digestible as a rule these days. They've bred corn to be very high protein and originally it wasn't like that. It seems to give everyone digestive problems now. So most people just don't eat it, not eating Corn isn't really an issue.

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Many of us, especially those of us reactive to lectins (which tend to exist in the outer covering of the grain) can handle very refined corn without problem.  For us it is the tortillas, corn chips, polenta, etc., which has the whole kernel ground up, which cause the problems.  You could test yourself with some corn starch and see how you handle it.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

I too have problems with corn. I finally got to the point where I could tolerate corn starch (but no corn, corn oil, or corn syrup), but then I got glutened and now I'm intolerant to corn starch again.

Here is a good source for info about the places corn hides, and I warn you, it is in EVERYTHING!! Vitamin fortified? The carrier for the vitamins is usually corn. Citric acid? Yep, they can get that from corn and because it is cheap, that's what they almost always use. That means bagged salad is out because they use a corn-based citrus wash. Almost all pills have corn starch - both medications and supplements. Most "natural flavors" and artificial flavors have corn. The list goes on and on.

But read as much as you can on this site and you'll learn more: http://www.cornallergens.com/

The good news is that MAYBE we can get over it someday.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

I can't handle too much corn either but I can if I have it sporadically. Say one week I can make corn flour tortillas, the next week some tortilla chips, probably no more than once a week though. I am working to eliminate it all together but I love my soft tortillas every so often. I find dropping corn more difficult than gluten so I have to wean and it is taking me a long time.

#6 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I think Corn is just not digestible as a rule these days. They've bred corn to be very high protein and originally it wasn't like that. It seems to give everyone digestive problems now. So most people just don't eat it, not eating Corn isn't really an issue.

I disagree with the statement that "most people don't eat corn." I am the only person I know with this problem in my circle of friemds amd colleagues. And it definitely is an issue because it's in nearly everything :/ I guess it will be a matter of experimenting with my own tolerance level. Sigh. Thank you for the website suggestion bartfull, I will check that out.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#7 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm with Bartfull on this one, unfortunately. Corn is EVERYWHERE! I personally react to even a little bit. It is in vitamins, in anything that is processed in any way. It is in baking powder. Spice mixes.

Avoiding gluten is easy compared with avoiding corn. You will just have to experiment to see how sensitive you happen to be.

#8 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

I find avoiding corn exactly the same as avoiding gluten. I have to make all my food from basic ingredients anyway so it' makes no difference at all. Most of my friends are at the point where they can't digest things like Corn chips, they are probably fine with trace amounts, corn syrup and things like that

#9 Bella001

Bella001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

I've read there have been studies done that show corn is as toxic to us as gluten.  It's a cross reactive thing that happens and our bodies don't realize it's not gluten and starts freaking out.  I was sick all last week from corn.  I'm finally starting to feel better.  I cannot eat it or I get stomach issues, face breaks out, headaches, fatigue....a lot like the gluten issues I used to have.  I say avoid it all together, when you can!

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

I disagree with you on the term "cross-reactive" but many of us have an additional intolerance to corn.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

If corn makes you sick and you need to avoid it, heres a good place to start. http://forums.delphi...t&gid=416045991

gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#12 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Here"s an interesting article I found,  http://www.drmanik.c...ten allergy.htm

If corn makes you sick and you need to avoid it, heres a good place to start. http://forums.delphi...t&gid=416045991

Your article talks about some sort of "allergy" not Celiac.  Not sure the reliablity of it.  It appears to be someone's personal blog,maybe? I don't think he is at any of the Celiac research centers?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Here"s an interesting article I found,

I think this is a :sketchy article at best. No bibliography, no sources, no science. Be cautious of random articles about "gluten allergies"--as technically, there is no such thing-on the internet. I've seen some crazy stuff out there.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I removed the link to the article, the doctors name was on the second line.

gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I removed the link to the article, the doctors name was on the second line.

We saw that  Dave, but without any citations, it really has no validity (for me, anyway)  I do hope you see our point. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: