This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help. Pain In My Gut & Not Digesting, Probio's

designerstubble

designerstubble Enthusiast

Hi...

Any ideas... I have been on my strict diet a while now, all going ok, was feeling... dare i say it... good! But slowly, my BM are not good, undigested food EVERY time, VERY loose, not formed at all. And  I have a pain in my top right corner of my abdomen... right by the lower rib. Somethime achey, sometimes pinchy.

I dont want to worry (I'm having enough issues with my little boy at the moment to keep my stress levels high), anyone know anything... I havent been taking my probios for about a month as I cant find a gluten-free, dairy free, soya free, and CORN free one here in UK...

Are probiotics a must? Do they really help? Could it be this? I thought probiotics were only useful in the large colon?

Is it a life long thing?

Could this be something sinister, I'm not really up for visiting my doctor, as I am about to change doctors again.

I need some self help tips!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I haven't found that probiotics make all that much difference, though they do make some difference so I continue to take a probiotic as well as eat my 100% grass fed yogurt.  I'd look at recent changes to your diet.  If there none, sometimes the change was made at the supplier end.  I have found those the most difficult to figure out.  I have just had to keep on doing elimination/challenge diets until I found the right thing.  One thing that helped me was to sometimes eat more of something to see if things get worse.  Sometimes that is faster or easier than elimination.  It seems that I have gotten more sensitive over time.  That could be happening to you too.  By strict diet, do you mean mainly produce and unprocessed meats?  If not, you could try that.  I hope you feel better soon.

I haven't found that probiotics make all that much difference, though they do make some difference so I continue to take a probiotic as well as eat my 100% grass fed yogurt.  I'd look at recent changes to your diet.  If there none, sometimes the change was made at the supplier end.  I have found those the most difficult to figure out.  I have just had to keep on doing elimination/challenge diets until I found the right thing.  One thing that helped me was to sometimes eat more of something to see if things get worse.  Sometimes that is faster or easier than elimination.  It seems that I have gotten more sensitive over time.  That could be happening to you too.  By strict diet, do you mean mainly produce and unprocessed meats?  If not, you could try that.  I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for that... thats a good idea about trying more of something...these elimination diets are so exhausting. Interesting that the probiotics havent made much difference for you, i have just read a thread where everyone was saying how good they are...it's so confusing, i thought they weren't doing much but maybe they were? Aaaaaaaagh!

My strict diet is basically unprocessed fruit and veg (i am vegetarian so do not eat meat)... I have got so many allergies since being gluten-free that even my beloved seeds are out, and eggs are gone too sadly. So its fruit and veg. If it wasn't for my green juice in the morning I'm not sure how i would exist or if I would still be alive? 

I just don't understand why everything comes out in the same state that i ate it virtually? Worrying really.

Thanks for your help, I'm trying to be positive, I have even taken up TaeKwonDo! Only once a week, but I don't have the energy for more... 

Ps. Are you ever able to include those things you have eliminated because of sensitivity further along, with time?

jhol Enthusiast

hi designer stubble,

you sound just like me at the moment- im really struggling. im veggie too( 20 years) and ive seriously been thinking of buying some meat to try!!!!!

i too felt fantastic the first few weeks and its been downhill from there. foods that i was eating last month are now a no go. i just took some rice noodles out of the cupboard- there rice noodles right - made out of rice. but no theyve got potato starch in them!!! the gluten free pretzels i was snacking on,potato and soya!!. been feeling crap for past few weeks, im thinking its the soya. so now its veggie,no gluten,no dairy, no nightshades,no eggs,no drinking,no acidy fruits and no soya. dont know what id do if i lost corn !! my bm,s have undigested food in them too and are yellow :blink: im  livin off rice, sweet potato, and hummus at the moment.

soz i cant help you with any advice though.  im really hoping i can reintroduce some foods at sometime.

VeggieGal Contributor

hey, I'm veggie too and having all the same problems...just so unsure which intolerances/allergies I have but know I've got to cut dairy out for sure which is a pain!

I can't normally have corn either but seem ok on the Holland & Barrett mega potency Probiotic Acidophilus (3 billion) its No starch, milk, lactose, soya, gluten, wheat, yeast, fish, porcine, flavours, sweeteners, artificial colours...but does have maltodextrin?? is that corn. I do feel better when I remember to take them anyway.

Hope you feel well soon.

bartfull Rising Star

Designer, if I'm not mistaken, Steph has DH, and those with DH don't usually get the villi damage the rest of us do. They may get digestive SYMPTOMS the way folks with non-celiac gluten intolerance do, but if probiotics don't help her, that could be the reason why.

I am in the same boat with you. So many intolerances I can't find any supplements without SOMETHING I can't have. The solution is to eat fermented foods like saurkraut (pardon the spelling), if you can stand the stuff. I can do dairy so I eat organic yogurt - LOTS of it.

VeggieGal, maltodextrin DOES have corn, at least it usually does. You could call the company to find out for sure, but if it lists all of those other things it doesn't have without mentioning corn, odds are it deos have corn.

Ps. Are you ever able to include those things you have eliminated because of sensitivity further along, with time?

I'm afraid not.  In the study recently published about trace gluten referred to in the super sensitive section, they said that most of those participants were able to go back to a typical gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Hi DS!

I used probiotics for several years -- I know they help many folks - but didn't do much for me -- are you taking digestive enzymes?

Hated to hear you are having these troubles...many of us do become more sensitive as time gluten-free passes -- I remain ever hopeful that I'll get many of the healthful foods I have lost back and you will too!

Designer, if I'm not mistaken, Steph has DH, and those with DH don't usually get the villi damage the rest of us do. They may get digestive SYMPTOMS the way folks with non-celiac gluten intolerance do, but if probiotics don't help her, that could be the reason why.

I don't have DH, that was another family member.  Probiotics do help.  They just don't help as much as I would like. 

Thanks my lovelies. Your all great help, it's just nice to know I'm not on my own. I thought by now I would have picked up a bit... gluten-free for over 6 months. I'm down in the dumps today, I want to reply to you all individually but I'm so cross and upset with this new 'pressure hives' situation that has been coming on slowly (and peaked today with most of my arm covered)...just wanna go and curl into a ball and cry. So I hope you excuse me, I think I'll feel better if I do that.

Oh and that's bartful, I'll look into sauerkraut... Veggie gal, corn in the holland and barret ones (even higher nature dont do them)... Ugh.

My stomach pain, my hives and welts, my crap everything. :(

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks my lovelies. Your all great help, it's just nice to know I'm not on my own. I thought by now I would have picked up a bit... gluten-free for over 6 months. I'm down in the dumps today, I want to reply to you all individually but I'm so cross and upset with this new 'pressure hives' situation that has been coming on slowly (and peaked today with most of my arm covered)...just wanna go and curl into a ball and cry. So I hope you excuse me, I think I'll feel better if I do that.

Oh and that's bartful, I'll look into sauerkraut... Veggie gal, corn in the holland and barret ones (even higher nature dont do them)... Ugh.

My stomach pain, my hives and welts, my crap everything. :(

Boo.  I'm stomping my feet here for you!

shadowicewolf Proficient

The upper right area of the abdomen is where the gallbladder sits. Having issues with it are not all that uncommon. In fact, mine got worse after i removed gluten from my diet.

mushroom Proficient

I'm with Lisa on the digestive enzyme issue.  You won't get goodness out of your foods or supplements if you can't break them down, and that takes enzymes.  Sometimes gluten knocks our pancreas for a loop and it takes a vacation until we heal, thus stops sending enzymes to the gut for digestion.  I take some called v-zyme made for pharmax in the UK.  Apart from the enzymes themselves the ingredients are cellulose, and vegetable magnesium stearate. :)

Archived