#1 DistressedNewbie

DistressedNewbie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I have heard before that Celiac disease can make one lactose intolerant over time due to intestinal damage. 

I have never been lactose intolerant, at least with symptoms, when I was younger (I am now 20) but now I can't eat even a single slice of cheese without getting either lots of gas, acid reflux or even cramping and diarrhea.

I feel the effects of eating dairy instantaneously. Yet if I were to just eat a product containing gluten, such as a slice of bread, I get no symptoms at all. If my lactose intolerance is caused by damage from Celiac's, shouldn't I also feel symptoms from the gluten as well? How can I feel just the lactose intolerance but nothing from the gluten?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

It is possible that you could be a 'silent' or 'latent' celiac.  That is to say, you have the damage in your small intestine but gluten does not present any recognizable symptoms for you.  The lactose intolerance would fit in with this diagnosis, because the damage gluten does in the small intestine temporarily destroys the ability of the gut to produce the enzyme that digests lactose.  It is not until gluten is withdrawn and the gut has healed that the enzyme production can resume.  Until then the lactose will sit in your gut and ferment and produce gas and cause cramping pain and diarrhea.

I still feel that you need to be tested, possibly with the endo with biopsies, because the of up-in-the-air diagnosis. :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

This was exactly me.  I could eat all the gluten I wanted without feeling ill whatsoever.  But cheese, milk and ice cream?  No way!  I was able to ingest some cheese for awhile but am back to eating lactose-free cheese and aged cheese very occasionally.  Lactose gave me greater problems than gluten until a couple of months ago when I finally had a gluten reaction after being gluten free for nearly two years!  That reaction was not nice.  It was an accidental glutening, of course, and I felt it.

We have different reactions to different things and must be detectives to figure stuff out at times.  But yes, to answer your question, it certainly is possible to feel more ill from lactose than gluten.  It definitely happened to me!

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Is gluten intolerance the main reason for lactose intolerance as well?

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

The enzymes necessary for digesting dairy are created in the small intestine -- celiac disease can impede this and make it difficult to digest lactose, all dairy or other foods until the digestive system has had a chance to heal.  If someone is or has had trouble with dairy it a good idea to remove for a period of time and then reintroduce.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Is gluten intolerance the main reason for lactose intolerance as well?

It is--in the case of celiac and It can occur as a result of other intestinal diseases such as gastroenteritis and an IBD like Crohn's disease. Treatment of the underlying disorder may restore lactase levels and improve signs and symptoms, though it can take some time.

As Shroom and Ski have pointed out, if the villi are blunted, the lactase enzyme production is decreased. 

Most celiacs get dairy back. Some never do.

Some people actually have hereditary lactose intolerance.

Congenital lactase deficiency, also called congenital alactasia, is a disorder in which infants are unable to break down lactose in breast milk or formula. This form of lactose intolerance results in severe diarrhea. If affected infants are not given a lactose-free infant formula, they may develop severe dehydration and weight loss.

The key is figuring out what's CAUSING it.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

I've developed my lactose intolerance after my mid 20's. I never did get tested for gluten. We've just been eating gluten free because of my wife's intolerance. Maybe worth testing myself as well.

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: