Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Please Describe Spring...am Getting Desperate.

sick and tired of this snow!

• Please log in to reply

51 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

Title sums it up.  We have about three feet of snow on the ground since the middle of October.  We have had two days above 0 since then.  Only two!  So, as you can imagine, there is not much melting happening.  There is nothing above 0 in the extended forecast, either.  We will definitely have snow into May.  I crave Spring.  Please describe to me what it looks like!!  My wants:

- a glimpse of green grass

- a green leaf on a tree

- a robin singing

- the sound of gentle rain

- the smell of wet soil

- an earthworm and ladybug - heck, even a housefly!

HELP ME FEEL SPRING!

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Well, come visit!

My palm trees are actually coming back to life after our blizzard (yes, blizzard in Tucson!). They may have full fronds by fall!

The acacias (smell like bubble gum) have bloomed, and leafed out and now the mesquites are following. The desert willows are finally turning green, no blooms til summer. The sage has a few blooms; but they are monsoon bloomers.

My lantanas are mostly growing back, but I do need to replant a few. The peachy mallows have bloomed, along with most of the yellow-hued desert scrub. The prairie dusters bloomed (like miniature mimosas). The red hummingbird bushes (firecracker?) are blooming and growing like crazy right now.

Was stopped on the road by a covey of quail crossing - must have been two dozen!

We are going to Tombstone today - may see different blooms there. I'll let you know.

Oh, and allergies are TOTALLY out of control :(.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Well, we have had the wettest march since 1964 in the UK, and April is looking much the same, but...

On Thursday I went for a walk with the kids and found tadpoles in the pond

On Friday the sun came out properly, we walked on the beach, smelled the surf, climbed over rocks,and there were people eating ice creams. One brave soul had shorts and crocs

My daffodils are nearly over

The apple trees are just (just) begining to bud

My cat has started to shed, and hairball!

Wrap up, eat soup, not too long to go now x

- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

We had some pretty great weather (highs anywhere from the upper 50's to the 70's) for the past several weeks. My tulips and irises were starting to come up. Then on Tuesday and Wednesday we got a blizzard. A little over a foot of snow here, more (22 inches) in Rapid City.

OK, so we have been in drought and this is much needed moisture. And usually after a spring storm the temperature rises and it melts quickly. Not so this time. We are due for yet ANOTHER big snowstorm starting tomorrow night and going into Tuesday.

So I feel your pain. Although we haven't had the constant low temps you have had to endure, there is something so cruel about getting a taste of spring only to be plunged back into the depths of winter. :ph34r:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Though the sounds of snowblowers surround me, I am now able to picture Spring a bit better, thanks to you! 

It is difficult to imagine things green and blooming.  How incredible!  Prickly, I adore the smell of acacias.  They surround our Croatia house, along with wisteria which should be blooming. 

Bartfull, that is indeed cruel.  Just when you think it is finally over, then BAM!  Talk about hard on plants!  Poor little guys.  :(

Three weeks from today we will be in Croatia, enjoying Spring.  HURRAY!  :D

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Here in DC, the Dorfadills have bloomed, apple trees and cherry trees are blooming.  Crab apples trees will start in a few weeks I suspect.  Forsythia bloomed although I  didn't see much of it in the back yard.

The bag of onions I bought sprouted new growth in the kitchen.  Some sweet potatoes did the same thing just a few days after buying them.  They know it's spring and they are ready to go!

Was in the 80's for a few days and hot sunny.   I opened the upstairs bedroom window and left eh front door open some to let in cool air.  Had to stop drinking herbal tea for awhile since the tea pot made it hotter.  Now it's cooled back down to the 40-060's and I can drink tea gain.  So nice!

The birds have been singing at night and in the morning. They put on quite a concert sometimes.

Lots of tourists around to see the cherry blossoms.

Got some nice rain all one night and the next morning too.

The maple tree in front of my house has dropped it's red buds all over the sidewalk.

And we had a baptism at Easter service outside in a horse trough.  And they didn't turn to icecicles!

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Paul, The cherry blossoms in Dee Cee looked especially glorious this year (on TV anyway.)  Gosh, I  just love those trees!!

Well, Lovey,

Spring is taking her sweet time arriving here in upstate NY and (having just left behind the gorgeous flowering bougainvillea

and hibiscus of Florida ) I am feeling your exasperation.

The grape hyacinth, forsythia, lilacs , daffodils and tulips---just barely starting to shoot up and show some budding. (c'mon already!!)

The BUNNIES are back and "courting". 

J has started to spray the apple trees! A sure sing of Spring.

The robins are here in full force and the goldfinches are sporting their much brighter  "golden" feathers, rather than the drab ones of winter..

When the Grosbeak and the hummingbirds return to my feeders, then I start to sing of Spring myself. Soon, soon.  :)

This AM, it was "sneeting" and registered a chilly 35.   :huh: yuck.

Hnag in there, kiddo---you'll soon be in the sunshine!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

sneeting..... *snicker* I do not miss the sneet from back east.

Yesterday was a perfect Utah spring day.

It was sunny all day with a blue sky and a few white puffy clouds and a nice 60F.

We have had daffodils blooming a few weeks here, so I imagine they'll be gone soon. Yards are green everywhere now.

Every time I leave the house or open a window the only thing I hear is birds.

The fruit trees in the back yards have just gotten blooms.

Oh... and my eyes itch and feel like little men are pushing on the back of them constantly and I have a simultaneous drippy/stuffy nose. Wouldn't be spring without that. :rolleyes: I expect in another week or two I'll give up my voice. Maybe sooner.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

GFinDC, what lovely descriptions!  I can so envision Spring.  The wind is howling, the snow is flying, my patience is waning.  :angry:

#10 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

The only way I can survive the winter/spring seasons is to travel south! This year I got back from my spring vacation( Tampa) to a snowstorm (Maine). Blahhh! 50's next week, can't wait for warmer weather!
~**caselynn**~

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Yep.... I'm near the Rockies in western Canada, and at the moment it's about -10C. It snowed over 15cm in the last 48 hours and it's not done... I actually got a sore wrist from digging out the driveway.  LOL :rolleyes:  We only get a little over 90 frost free days a year up here so we've got a while longer until spring is here - we usually have our last (unappreciated) snow in mid May on the long weekend... it's almost like a tradition to moan about that in our city. Sigh.

I DO have 5 crocuses in bloom in a south corner of my yard near my front steps - purple and white. They're under a good foot of snow now, but at least I KNOW that they are there.  LOL And my tulip tops are showing out of the dirt... or were showing.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Good question. The weather can't decide whether or not its spring or not. We go from near 70F down to below 0F and back up again. That was in the space of a day or so.

#13 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

My tulips have started peeping out today, glorious purple ones. The lovely little wild primroses that I have been encouraging into the garden are spreading and blooming.

The sun has been out today and (if you stand in a shelterd spot!) you can feel the sun on your skin.

I am thinking of planing my second lot of potatoes this weekend (not sure they will be far behind the first lot that went in 5 weeks ago).

It is slow, but there are definite signs here now...

- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Th forsythia have buds today and the sun is actually OUT (it has been gray for days) and it's in the 50's.

But i could change and be 35 tomorrow, for all I know. 

Hubs has taken an Allegra....something is blooming somewhere.

(of all the yucky things I have/have had, thank heavens, no seasonal allergies)

"April is the cruelest month". T.S. Eliot was right.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

The sun is shining right now in Northern Maine, the forecast calls for 50-60's! Where did I put those flip flops haha probably right next to my winter boots that I'll need this weekend 😝😝😝
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: