15 replies to this topic

#1 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Went to my hairdressers today and when my hair was done, my stylist sprayed it fairly liberally with hairspray (lacquer). As she doesn't normally use much I wasn't prepared and accidentally breathed in quite a bit through my mouth. Within half an hour I had really bad griping pains in my stomach which I still have this evening. I'm suspecting there was wheat or gluten in the finishing spray, as I know everything I've eaten today has been gluten and wheat free.

Has anyone else had any problems in this way. Here in UK Coeliac UK don't seem to think that cosmetics etc are anything to worry about, but I'm beginning to think we're lagging 'behind the times' over here and professionals don't seem to take it as seriously as those of you across the pond. I had a similar reaction a few weeks ago to eye drops which I found out later could cause problems with people sensitive to wheat.

I'm due for another biopsy in around a month, to check my gut is healing, and I'm concerned that I'll still have damage showing up with these couple on knock backs.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hi.  I'm not sure whether hair spray would contain gluten, but  nasty fumes yes.  I hate anything unnatural on my hair. I would look much younger if I would color my hair...but I have earned every one of my grey hairs.  And I'm pretty sure that eye drops would not contain gluten.  Just the nature of the product would indicate that.

Taking perscribed meds and suppliments can have an interaction.  Recently, a suppliment affected my eyes.  I stopped and back to normal.

Hope your upcoming biopsy is great! :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yes, this happened to me too last time I got my hair cut. I go to a pretty large shop with many hair stylists, and their was alot of stuff being sprayed all around me. I had told him not to use anything on me, but the stuff around me must have gotten me. I am due for a hair cut, and will call if he can see me early before the others come in.

#4 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Some of the hairsprays I had at home contained wheat based conditioners in them, so I am guessing that they would have similar ones used in the hair salon and there were definitely plant based (including wheat) in the eye drops as I checked it out. I am just worried that the little mishaps (none of which were on my control) would effect my next biopsy. (I'm crossing my fingers for this one!)

Hi.  I'm not sure whether hair spray would contain gluten, but  nasty fumes yes.  I hate anything unnatural on my hair. I would look much younger if I would color my hair...but I have earned every one of my grey hairs.  And I'm pretty sure that eye drops would not contain gluten.  Just the nature of the product would indicate that.

Taking perscribed meds and suppliments can have an interaction.  Recently, a suppliment affected my eyes.  I stopped and back to normal.

Hope your upcoming biopsy is great! :)

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

#5 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Hi Julissa

I will definitely be avoiding the hairspray in future. What a good idea, going in very early to avoid the hairsprays etc. I must remember that. Thanks.

Yes, this happened to me too last time I got my hair cut. I go to a pretty large shop with many hair stylists, and their was alot of stuff being sprayed all around me. I had told him not to use anything on me, but the stuff around me must have gotten me. I am due for a hair cut, and will call if he can see me early before the others come in.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

Getting  one of the first appointments in the day is a good idea. I also bring in my own haircare products from home and have my stylist use those. Mine has no issue with that.  Hopefully this won't impact your healing too much. Let your doctor know your concerns before the next biopsy. Just tell the doctor you got accidentally glutened a couple of times. That isn't unusual in the early stages of getting used to the gluten free lifestyle.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Thanks. Yes I will speak to consultant before my next one. I'm so annoyed with myself, as I'm so careful at home. I was taken by surprise as I don't normally have hair spray on, but I changed my hairstyle and she must have thought it needed a bit of extra hold.

Getting  one of the first appointments in the day is a good idea. I also bring in my own haircare products from home and have my stylist use those. Mine has no issue with that.  Hopefully this won't impact your healing too much. Let your doctor know your concerns before the next biopsy. Just tell the doctor you got accidentally glutened a couple of times. That isn't unusual in the early stages of getting used to the gluten free lifestyle.

#8 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Some hairsprays DO contain gluten. As do other styling products. I've been going to the same stylist for years...and he knows to not use any unapproved products around me! Bring your own if you have to!

Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

#9 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Some hairsprays DO contain gluten. As do other styling products. I've been going to the same stylist for years...and he knows to not use any unapproved products around me! Bring your own if you have to!

Hi, sorry I'm only just replying, this reply ended up in my junk box :(
I was thinking of taking my own, when I actually find one that doesn't contain gluten. I had to throw a lot away as I found my favourites also contained gluten. I think I would have been okay had I not accidentally gulped in a mouthful as she was spraying my hair.

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hi, sorry I'm only just replying, this reply ended up in my junk box :(
I was thinking of taking my own, when I actually find one that doesn't contain gluten. I had to throw a lot away as I found my favourites also contained gluten. I think I would have been okay had I not accidentally gulped in a mouthful as she was spraying my hair.

I ask her to warn me when she is going to spray anything.  Then I put  my hands, palm side in, over my mouth and nose.  Then I wash the outside of my hands well.  I don't worry about the stuff she uses at the salon.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

I went yesterday to get my hair cut. I called my guy at the salon and he said he'd go in early for me. I came in with wet hair, he cut it, and I was out before the others started working. I didn't bring products with me, I just left wet and did my own thing at home.

it was great!

#12 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I ask her to warn me when she is going to spray anything.  Then I put  my hands, palm side in, over my mouth and nose.  Then I wash the outside of my hands well.  I don't worry about the stuff she uses at the salon.

Good plan!

#13 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

I went yesterday to get my hair cut. I called my guy at the salon and he said he'd go in early for me. I came in with wet hair, he cut it, and I was out before the others started working. I didn't bring products with me, I just left wet and did my own thing at home.

it was great!

Whatever works for you I guess. I couldn't do this as I have my hair coloured each time I go. I have premature greying due to my thyroid condition.

#14 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

flowerqueen, I used to have him do my color as well, but I won't risk it anymore since I got sick. so I do my color at home and it works for me, save alot of money too :)

#15 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

flowerqueen, I used to have him do my color as well, but I won't risk it anymore since I got sick. so I do my color at home and it works for me, save alot of money too :)

I don't think I'm brave enough to do my own hair ;-) I'm sure i'll be fine if I don't let them use hair spray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: