Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Hairdressers Anyone?

16 posts in this topic

Went to my hairdressers today and when my hair was done, my stylist sprayed it fairly liberally with hairspray (lacquer). As she doesn't normally use much I wasn't prepared and accidentally breathed in quite a bit through my mouth. Within half an hour I had really bad griping pains in my stomach which I still have this evening. I'm suspecting there was wheat or gluten in the finishing spray, as I know everything I've eaten today has been gluten and wheat free.

Has anyone else had any problems in this way. Here in UK Coeliac UK don't seem to think that cosmetics etc are anything to worry about, but I'm beginning to think we're lagging 'behind the times' over here and professionals don't seem to take it as seriously as those of you across the pond. I had a similar reaction a few weeks ago to eye drops which I found out later could cause problems with people sensitive to wheat.

I'm due for another biopsy in around a month, to check my gut is healing, and I'm concerned that I'll still have damage showing up with these couple on knock backs.

Ads by Google:

Hi.  I'm not sure whether hair spray would contain gluten, but  nasty fumes yes.  I hate anything unnatural on my hair. I would look much younger if I would color my hair...but I have earned every one of my grey hairs.  And I'm pretty sure that eye drops would not contain gluten.  Just the nature of the product would indicate that.

Taking perscribed meds and suppliments can have an interaction.  Recently, a suppliment affected my eyes.  I stopped and back to normal.

Hope your upcoming biopsy is great! :)

Yes, this happened to me too last time I got my hair cut. I go to a pretty large shop with many hair stylists, and their was alot of stuff being sprayed all around me. I had told him not to use anything on me, but the stuff around me must have gotten me. I am due for a hair cut, and will call if he can see me early before the others come in.

Some of the hairsprays I had at home contained wheat based conditioners in them, so I am guessing that they would have similar ones used in the hair salon and there were definitely plant based (including wheat) in the eye drops as I checked it out. I am just worried that the little mishaps (none of which were on my control) would effect my next biopsy. (I'm crossing my fingers for this one!)

Hi.  I'm not sure whether hair spray would contain gluten, but  nasty fumes yes.  I hate anything unnatural on my hair. I would look much younger if I would color my hair...but I have earned every one of my grey hairs.  And I'm pretty sure that eye drops would not contain gluten.  Just the nature of the product would indicate that.

Taking perscribed meds and suppliments can have an interaction.  Recently, a suppliment affected my eyes.  I stopped and back to normal.

Hope your upcoming biopsy is great! :)

Hi Julissa

I will definitely be avoiding the hairspray in future. What a good idea, going in very early to avoid the hairsprays etc. I must remember that. Thanks.

Yes, this happened to me too last time I got my hair cut. I go to a pretty large shop with many hair stylists, and their was alot of stuff being sprayed all around me. I had told him not to use anything on me, but the stuff around me must have gotten me. I am due for a hair cut, and will call if he can see me early before the others come in.

Getting  one of the first appointments in the day is a good idea. I also bring in my own haircare products from home and have my stylist use those. Mine has no issue with that.  Hopefully this won't impact your healing too much. Let your doctor know your concerns before the next biopsy. Just tell the doctor you got accidentally glutened a couple of times. That isn't unusual in the early stages of getting used to the gluten free lifestyle.

Thanks. Yes I will speak to consultant before my next one. I'm so annoyed with myself, as I'm so careful at home. I was taken by surprise as I don't normally have hair spray on, but I changed my hairstyle and she must have thought it needed a bit of extra hold.

Getting  one of the first appointments in the day is a good idea. I also bring in my own haircare products from home and have my stylist use those. Mine has no issue with that.  Hopefully this won't impact your healing too much. Let your doctor know your concerns before the next biopsy. Just tell the doctor you got accidentally glutened a couple of times. That isn't unusual in the early stages of getting used to the gluten free lifestyle.

Some hairsprays DO contain gluten. As do other styling products. I've been going to the same stylist for years...and he knows to not use any unapproved products around me! Bring your own if you have to!

Some hairsprays DO contain gluten. As do other styling products. I've been going to the same stylist for years...and he knows to not use any unapproved products around me! Bring your own if you have to!

Hi, sorry I'm only just replying, this reply ended up in my junk box :(

I was thinking of taking my own, when I actually find one that doesn't contain gluten. I had to throw a lot away as I found my favourites also contained gluten. I think I would have been okay had I not accidentally gulped in a mouthful as she was spraying my hair.

Hi, sorry I'm only just replying, this reply ended up in my junk box :(

I was thinking of taking my own, when I actually find one that doesn't contain gluten. I had to throw a lot away as I found my favourites also contained gluten. I think I would have been okay had I not accidentally gulped in a mouthful as she was spraying my hair.

I ask her to warn me when she is going to spray anything.  Then I put  my hands, palm side in, over my mouth and nose.  Then I wash the outside of my hands well.  I don't worry about the stuff she uses at the salon.

I went yesterday to get my hair cut. I called my guy at the salon and he said he'd go in early for me. I came in with wet hair, he cut it, and I was out before the others started working. I didn't bring products with me, I just left wet and did my own thing at home.

it was great!

I ask her to warn me when she is going to spray anything.  Then I put  my hands, palm side in, over my mouth and nose.  Then I wash the outside of my hands well.  I don't worry about the stuff she uses at the salon.

Good plan!

I went yesterday to get my hair cut. I called my guy at the salon and he said he'd go in early for me. I came in with wet hair, he cut it, and I was out before the others started working. I didn't bring products with me, I just left wet and did my own thing at home.

it was great!

Whatever works for you I guess. I couldn't do this as I have my hair coloured each time I go. I have premature greying due to my thyroid condition.

flowerqueen, I used to have him do my color as well, but I won't risk it anymore since I got sick. so I do my color at home and it works for me, save alot of money too :)

flowerqueen, I used to have him do my color as well, but I won't risk it anymore since I got sick. so I do my color at home and it works for me, save alot of money too :)

I don't think I'm brave enough to do my own hair ;-) I'm sure i'll be fine if I don't let them use hair spray.

I have trouble with personal care products, like shampoo, makeup, etc, and I've occasionally had trouble with hairdressers, so I do not let them put product in my hair. I am also very allergic to synthetic fragrance, so I have multiple reasons for avoiding salon products.  If you're still having trouble finding new hair products, I really like Max Green Alchemy. They are gluten free and all natural, but still leave my hair really soft. I'd also keep looking for a stylist that is willing to listen to your concerns and will check any products that she uses on you. 

Hair stuff!

http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/