Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pressure Hives Now? Can't Take Much More

4 posts in this topic

Pressure hives anyone?? Has a few minor incidents the last 2 months around my wrists and inner forearm when carrying shopping... And the other day from my sons head laying on me... I just thought it was dust or something... But today... Welts on inner arm from carrying a basket around the supermarket? I looked it up and pressure hives seems to fit the bill.

Is this auto immune does anyone know?? Is it something I should worry about?? I'm so sick if it. I've heard about people breaking out after exercise??? This is crazy. One thing after another.

Do hives go away? Is it my immune system being over reactive or this another disease.

When does this sh*t stop. I'd been having a good day up until that. Im feeling so despondent, I can't work out one thing before starting another. :(

Ads by Google:

Relax and take a deep breath. It is a contact dermatitis allergy reaction.  I get this all the time from the chemicals used in stores.  For example, yesterday I purchased dog food from the feed store.  When I got home, I lifted one bag and slung it over my hip to carry it into the garage storage bin because we needed it soon, without putting on a long sleeved overshirt.  Sure enough, about 10 minutes later my left inner arm is starting to turn pink, I quickly went to the sink and washed it off and rinsed thoroughly, 20 minutes later, completely gone.  Now, what happened?  The nice big guy who loaded my bags into the truck cab had been handling all sorts of things all day, like the hay I then had loaded into the truck bed after I got the dog food, and I am allergic to that type of hay, big time.   He picked up all three of those bags at once (!!! these kids are typically athletes who work there) and slung them over his shoulder and chest, and it picked up not only that hay residue from his shirt, but any other sorts of chemical residues from the storage facilities from manufacturer to store, such as insect sprays, etc. 

Now, get some water in a spray bottle, or some water and alcohol that you are not allergic to, even mouthwash works if you don't have anything else, and get thee OUTSIDE to your vehicle, and give it a good cleaning on the steering wheel and where ever your arms and hands touch.  Getting it on your wrists is typical steering wheel contamination.   You may want to also wipe down anywhere that you've had grocery/store bags setting, etc, such as seats.  Depending on your vehicle, you may also want to put in washable seat covers, or even towels that you can quickly launder.  I have to do this all the time because as a shopper who buys things for animals to eat, it's always a battle to keep the dust off of anything, and then sometimes the dogs ride in the car/truck, too.   My husband has messed up the inside of the truck more than once doing this, to where now I just tell him to either leave the towels on the seats or let me drive it, period, because it is a lot easier to wash towels than to wash out the entire truck, again because I'm getting welts from touching it where his dirty clothes did. :angry:  :ph34r:

And your son's head...  look at his shampoo.  Or where his head was in the car.....    

Oh, and the labels on packages can now be printed with .... soy ink.  Bags can be made with plastic that is part vegetable matter, like cornstarch.  The shopper before you who had that basket on his arm could have used almost anything for lotion or on their clothing, or had been spraying something else around and transferred it to the handle.   Fun, eh ?  

Pressure urticaria is a real thing! But.... as your body heals, it may lessen as well. Inappropriate histamine responses = hives. This may be a long shot, but you may want to look up histamine intolerance - cutting back (not necessarily eliminating) certain foods may help.

Or your immune system is still just freaking out a bit. Hang in there, and keep the heavy bags off of your wrists. Take the offer of "need some help to your car?"... the bagger kid could probably use a walk anyway.

This sounds like it could be Dermographism. Not a lot of people have it... I'm a "lucky one". :P Along with all my other allergies and intolerances, I was diagnosed with this when I had all my allergy testing. Its something I've had my whole life, and just never really thought much about it, but here are some examples: When I was little, my brothers and sisters and I would be playing and we'd write "notes" on our skin with our fingers...well my brother and I would (he has it too) ... skin would immediately welt and the writing would stay there for a few hours.

If I cry, my eyes immediately swell up, and get really puffy. Once they swelled shut and I looked like I got in a fight with Rocky... just from crying. It took two days for the swelling to go down and for my eyes to start looking a little normal. Yeah, I think gluten had a huge impact on that too, because once gluten free... I don't have as much problem with that anymore. Now, things that would make my skin immediately react and swell, don't as much. I'm still hyper sensitive to things but the swelling is a lot less now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Well, I have never cruised on Carnival, but I am sure they can accommodate you.  I assume that you have already alerted them that you require gluten free meals.  If not, please contact Carnival immediately. Here are my own tips.  Some folks eat off the buffet line, but not me or hubby except for coffee/drinks and baked potatoes (jacketed) and fruit that we wash in the restroom (people touch everything!)  Okay, I am OCD, but my last glutening which occurred the previous summer made me sick for three months (GI tested my antibodies to prove it).   When we board, I go to the buffet restaurant ASAP and ask to speak to the Head Waiter (they are usually there greeting customers and often trying to up sell to specialty restaurants.   Let them know you have celiac disease and must be gluten free.  They may try to tell you that each dish is clearly marked gluten free, but really?  Who's to say that some other passenger is not going to switch spoons (or I have seen passengers wandering around with serving spoons...I kid you not!  The staff usually will  go downstairs and fetch a gluten free meal for me from the main dining room's kitchen as there is usually a dedicated area for allergies.  We have to wait up to 20 minutes or so but it is worth it.  Starving?  Get a baked potato wrapped in foil until your gluten-free meal arrives.  Now, do not do this every single time.  Those folks have to go down several levels to fetch food and you don't want to be a pain.  But if the main dining area is closed, they need to make an effort to keep you safe.  On our last cruise, we were advised not to eat anywhere but the main dining room and that included room service (they are not trained to handled allergies).  My headwaiters have sent goodies (prepackaged gluten free rolls and cookies for us to keep in our room.  We can always grab whole fruit (I wash it first) to snack on.  I bring gluten-free non-perishable items with me to eat while at port in case we can't find anything (which can be often).  Again, when we get back to our ship, we contact our headwaiter and he/she can prepare some snacks until we have dinner.   Be grateful and not picky.   We eat all meals in the dining room (or at least as much as possible).  Our headwaiter had a few other celiacs on our cruise this summer, so they prepared some gluten-free waffles, etc. for our breakfast!  What a treat!  At breakfast, we'd have different waiters, so our headwaiter would always instruct our waiters each and every time!  They even let me tour the kitchen and showed me the allergy section.   The only time I did not feel safe was at the buffet.  We once ordered gluten-free pizza and I realized (I watched) that that restaurant didn't really have the gluten-free thing down), do I called him on it.  Got the manager etc.  So, be careful.  Other cruises made us frozen Udi"s which was just fine with us.  They covered it up in foil so that we would not get any cross contamination from their pizza oven. So, have fun!   Tipping?  We prepaid our gratuities, but we gave our headwaiter an extra $200.00 for his time.  For us, it was well worth the service and safety of our food.  It does not hurt to slip some of the tip ahead of time (like after your first meal!)  
    • <strong>Celiac Disease & Gluten-free Diet Information at Celiac.com. Gluten Free Diabetes ::The 3 Step Trick that Reverses Diabetes Permanently in ... View the full article
    • I had a biopsy done (2 samples, 1 on a lesion and 1 next to lesions), and also more bloodwork done. All came back negative. However, I only had been eating gluten for 2 weeks prior, and it took a week of gluten for lesions to reappear. I also used a topical steroid off and on (1x a week approximately) for a month or so before testing. The dermatologist told me to stay off gluten though, and said she wants to do more allergy testing (her next open testing appt is in 6 months!!). I know I'm not the DR, but I dont think it's allergies...without a doubt, my skin begins clearing about 2 weeks post gluten-free diet...this is without changing anything else in my lifestyle. And when i had to go back on gluten before my biopsy, it took about a week, but did reappear. Now, about 2 weeks post biopsy and gluten-free, it had begun clearing until i worked outside all day in heat, humidity,  sweat etc and it has definitely irritated all the places that were healing (not new breakouts, just aggravating what was going away!). All that being said, i have a friend who is an MD( who's hobby is to attend conferences on skin conditions!), and she has told me that without a doubt, I have celiac/DH.  I think I just feel like I need test results and paperwork to show for it...especially to show family members who are unsupportive (gross understatement!) of the extreme changes I've had to make!
    • Sorry ! I have never cruised before.  Just wanting to follow your topic.  Good luck! Have a great,  safe vacation.  
    • Hi there, I hope you're all having a good day! I'll be heading on a week-long Carnival cruise shortly and had a few questions: -What is the tipping protocol? I've prepaid gratuities, but feel like the food request will warrant something extra. Should I tip the headwaiter? Hostess? Regular waiter? Chef? Those cooking at, say, the sandwich or pasta bars? If so, how much is appropriate, and should I tip at the beginning of the cruise, the end, or split it up? -It looks like the main dining room will be closed during lunch hours on most days. Any recommendations on safe bets for midday meals? I'll be on the Carnival Sunshine, for what that's worth. Thank you so much for any information you can share!  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    rbeckler60