7 replies to this topic

#1 Googles

Googles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

So I think i might have a problem with dairy that has developed. But I'm not sure if it is just getting glutened or dairy. If I am lactose intollerant am i susceptible to the same problems that I get with gluten? IE: Bone and joint pain, insomnia, emotioin dysregulatiion with dairy problems that I have with being glutened or would it only be digestive problems with dairy?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamamonkey

mamamonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

I did not have any problems with dairy until I went gluten-free and started to heal. Now, I am slowly getting to the point where I can tolerate a small amount of dairy. But, if I over do it, I have almost the same symptoms as I do if I am accidentally glutened, except the headache. 

Hi, I'm Melissa

Mostly gluten-free 5/12 in an attempt to help migraines

Surprise! All my GI symptoms resolved (that I was blaming on not having a gallbladder)

EGD 1/13; biopsies showed inflammation suggestive of partially treated celiac

Bloodwork negative (of course, I was gluten-free)

GI dx'd celiac 1/13

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

All of my daughter's celiac tests came back negative. Finally, frustrated, the GI told her to give up milk and said it could be a lactose intolerance. Pretty quickly her symptoms started to clear up. They included pain in her stomach and guts every time she ate, she had severe insomnia problems, alternating D and C and more I am sure that I am forgetting. Enough to point at celiac. Now that she has been lactose free, her symptoms are cleared up with the exception of the pain she gets if she eats something she shouldn't without taking her pills.

I would say it is possible for a lactose intolerance to cause many of the problems celiac causes. It is also entirely possible that it is gluten. I would recommend reviewing everything you are eating if you are ever in doubt. Never ever forget that you need to read every label every time you purchase something. No matter how safe you think something is, it is possible that something changed and a product is no longer safe.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

I get the same symptoms when I eat dairy or gluten (obviously eaten in error not deliberately). So it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is, unless you keep a food diary. I get severe stomach cramps, bloating etc. with both. Although usually, I don't get a migraine when I've eaten dairy, but I do with gluten. That's about the only difference I can think of right now. As with most things, the best way is a food journal making a note of everything that's eaten and write down any symptoms you have on any given day.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#5 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm all for the food journal, I as well have an issue with dairy unfortunately. I started to notice it more frequently in the last few months. Knowing that I was being diligent about gluten, I started a food diary to pin point other foods. Surprise surprise...I refused to drink milk as a kid which has continued into adulthood. I love ice cream but it about kills me, has for years...hint hint, sheesh, you'd think I would've caught on quicker lol denial perhaps 😝😝😝
~**caselynn**~

#6 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

I would never have thought of that until you mentioned it, but I too hated milk as a child and it was a long, long time before I realised that I had a problem with dairy. It was my doctor who picked up on the point that being intolerant to dairy may be an indicator that I had Coeliacs disease, along with other symptoms of course.

I'm all for the food journal, I as well have an issue with dairy unfortunately. I started to notice it more frequently in the last few months. Knowing that I was being diligent about gluten, I started a food diary to pin point other foods. Surprise surprise...I refused to drink milk as a kid which has continued into adulthood. I love ice cream but it about kills me, has for years...hint hint, sheesh, you'd think I would've caught on quicker lol denial perhaps

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#7 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

I strongly suspect anything beyond intestinal issues would be an issue with something else in dairy, whey, a casein, etc, rather than a lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance, as far as I know, is a well-defined issue with not being able to digest lactose. If you want to test what aspect of dairy, (if you still think it's dairy which it could very well be, I think I have non-gut dairy symptoms,) try lactose-free milk and see if you still get the symptoms. You could also try a product that has whey in it. If both are fine, then you probably have an issue with a casein. Once you figure that out, you might still be fine with goat dairy. I believe all dairies have all/most of the same proteins, but in vastly different quantities.  

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#8 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry for takinig so long to get back to your responses. I am working way too much right now and am just exhausted when i get home. I hate the idea of having to give up dairy, but I think I am goinig to have to get up the motivation to try it, but after I eat the cheese and drink the milk in my fridge. Ugh, I hate food issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: