5 replies to this topic

#1 Hyper1

Hyper1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

Does anyone know why celiac would result in migraines (the science behind it)? I suffer from migraine and just wondered why this would be the case. Apologies if already covered somewhere, I but I am fairly new to all this....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

Hi Hyper,

Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure why we are prone to more migraines than most, (and I had my share of them for years-they are awful! ) but there are some theories out there.  I associate anything inflammatory in my body with celiac, so I suspect that's why I had them so bad. The good news is: they can stop off gluten!

"While researchers have yet to discover a definitive reason as to why there is this link between migraines and celiac disease, they do have some theories.  Dr. Alexandra Dimitrova, a researcher behind the survey, says there is a possibility that migraines are triggered because of the inflammation of parts of the body, including the brain, due to celiac disease.  Another possibility is that antibodies in celiac disease may attack the brain cells and membranes around the nervous system and somehow cause the migraines.  Although the cause isn’t exactly clear, Dr. Alessio Fasano, medical director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research in Baltimore says that those with celiac disease often experience migraine relief once they switch to a gluten free diet"

***The new findings were presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology; however the source of the original article, US Health News, cautions that this data should be considered preliminary until findings are published in a peer-reviewed journal. 

Source:.

http://www.celiaccen...34/vobid--7959/

Here is a recent article you may find interesting:

http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html

If you haven't already, may I suggest you read the Newbie 101 thread under Coping Section?

and if we can help further, just ask.

Best wishes to you.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

On the nursing forum I habituate....it is apparently common to do magnesium infusions to treat migraines.  Magnesium levels are rarely tested properly.  Try a SR magnesium such as mag 64/slomag......good luck

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

I don't know the science behind it, I just know going gluten-free helped get rid of my migraines. I had them a good two weeks every month with visual auras and such. When I am off gluten I only get them a couple of days a month...soooo much better!

I hope you find relief too. :)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Hyper1

Hyper1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Thanks all for the responses. I now plan to try the magnesium supplements as well and see how I get on! There is so much to try and take in ......

#6 mamamonkey

mamamonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Going gluten free did help my migraines some. But, then they came back. :( My neuro says that almost every migraine sufferer is magnesium deficient. I take MigRelief which is a supplement that contains feverfew, B2 (I think, it's riboflavin, anyway), and magnesium. This has helped along with my preventative meds.

Hi, I'm Melissa

Mostly gluten-free 5/12 in an attempt to help migraines

Surprise! All my GI symptoms resolved (that I was blaming on not having a gallbladder)

EGD 1/13; biopsies showed inflammation suggestive of partially treated celiac

Bloodwork negative (of course, I was gluten-free)

GI dx'd celiac 1/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: