Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Migraines

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why celiac would result in migraines (the science behind it)? I suffer from migraine and just wondered why this would be the case. Apologies if already covered somewhere, I but I am fairly new to all this....

Ads by Google:

Hi Hyper,

Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure why we are prone to more migraines than most, (and I had my share of them for years-they are awful! ) but there are some theories out there.  I associate anything inflammatory in my body with celiac, so I suspect that's why I had them so bad. The good news is: they can stop off gluten!

"While researchers have yet to discover a definitive reason as to why there is this link between migraines and celiac disease, they do have some theories.  Dr. Alexandra Dimitrova, a researcher behind the survey, says there is a possibility that migraines are triggered because of the inflammation of parts of the body, including the brain, due to celiac disease.  Another possibility is that antibodies in celiac disease may attack the brain cells and membranes around the nervous system and somehow cause the migraines.  Although the cause isn’t exactly clear, Dr. Alessio Fasano, medical director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research in Baltimore says that those with celiac disease often experience migraine relief once they switch to a gluten free diet"

***The new findings were presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology; however the source of the original article, US Health News, cautions that this data should be considered preliminary until findings are published in a peer-reviewed journal. 

Source:.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/research-news/Celiac-Disease-Research/134/vobid--7959/

Here is a recent article you may find interesting:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/23236/1/Higher-Rates-of-Migraine-Headaches-in-People-With-Celiac-Disease-and-Inflammatory-Bowel-Disease/Page1.html

If you haven't already, may I suggest you read the Newbie 101 thread under Coping Section?

and if we can help further, just ask.

Best wishes to you.

On the nursing forum I habituate....it is apparently common to do magnesium infusions to treat migraines.  Magnesium levels are rarely tested properly.  Try a SR magnesium such as mag 64/slomag......good luck

I don't know the science behind it, I just know going gluten-free helped get rid of my migraines. I had them a good two weeks every month with visual auras and such. When I am off gluten I only get them a couple of days a month...soooo much better!

I hope you find relief too. :)

Thanks all for the responses. I now plan to try the magnesium supplements as well and see how I get on! There is so much to try and take in ......

Going gluten free did help my migraines some. But, then they came back. :( My neuro says that almost every migraine sufferer is magnesium deficient. I take MigRelief which is a supplement that contains feverfew, B2 (I think, it's riboflavin, anyway), and magnesium. This has helped along with my preventative meds.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• gluten-free...how long til I feel better?
      I have Celiac and I asked my doctor this question he did not have an answer.  It took me 4 1/2 weeks to feel better. I had a food diary I wrote everything I ate down and how I felt every day all day.  You just have to keep at it, but Gluten my not be your problem. I hope you feel better soon.
    • IM SO SCARED
      Do you have your results back yet?
    • gluten-free...how long til I feel better?
      Hi there, I do not have celiac but am trying a gluten-free diet to see if it alleviates any of my symptoms. I Know that with celiac, it can take months on a gluten-free diet to really see/feel any change, but was told that if it is only a sensitivity, that you should feel results rather quickly (within days). This was per my dr (MD). Can anyone share their experience with Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity and time to feeling better on a gluten-free diet? Thanks!
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      I get so frustrated!  My friend's mom is 67...there has to be a reason for this.  And all she says is, they have no idea how she can be in end stage liver disease!   Anyway, I'm doing ok.  I got cc'd on vacation which stunk.  I had forgotten how terrible it feels.  Ugh!  The good news is that my vitamin D level is finally moving up...not inching.  It increased by 3 points in the last 6 months.  Previously, it was inching with increases of .5 or .6.  So I'm pleased that I'm absorbing better. Bartie's passing really shook me up.  This disease is a scary thing as so many people go undiagnosed for so long.  Then other people have disappeared from the board(nvsmom), who were huge contributors and I worry that they aren't doing well.  But I am a worrier. How are you?
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      Thanks for your kind words about my brother, Icelandgirl.  So nice to hear from you again.    Yes, this is what drives me crazy the most....people with obvious and potentially life threatening symptoms like diarrhea with severe dehydration.  I had that at the point when I was diagnosed but it wasn't the doctor's who suggested a Celiac panel, it was me.  I mean, WTF is wrong with them?  People do not have severe diarrhea and dehydration from mild problems.  Celiac is no longer an unheard of condition, gluten free is everywhere. And, don't even get me started on why so many people are developing Dementia and Alzheimer's today.  My father has Dementia and is at home with round the clock care. He has the body shape, like I did, of a classic Celiac. Bloated belly and stick arms and legs. My family will not have him tested, either.  They treat me like I am a crazy loon over that one.  I do not think he will make a miraculous recovery on the gluten-free diet but it could make his remaining time more comfortable.  When I bring him food, it is always gluten free and he cannot tell the difference.  He loved the gluten-free muffins I brought him and it made me sad to think I am the only one who cares.  Honestly, life is such a trial at times and it's because of difficult people who are afraid of change. How are you doing?
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    MrB