5 replies to this topic

#1 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I definitely can't have fresh tomatoes but I can have tomato sauce and tomato juice. I don't think I can handle salsa. I figured salsa would be as cooked down as sauce? I would love to get everything just so but it is taking forever to figure things out. I don't think nightshades are a problem in general as I seem to be able to handle peppers and potatoes - small amounts as I haven't tested large quantities. Anyone else tolerate some nightshades but still get messed up at times?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I can't do tomatoes at all due to an allergy to them.

However, i can do potatoes, but not peppers (acid reflux).

I am somewhat careful with nightshades now.

I don't over do it either.

#3 stri8ed

stri8ed

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Maybe its something in the skin which is bothering you. Have you tired peeling it and see if that makes a difference?

Another possibility is its only the raw tomato you have problems with. Its a known thing that cooking a food alters its proteins, and hence the body can respond differently to a food cooked vs raw. You could try cooking it to see if that makes a difference.

#4 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Never considered the skin. There might be something to that as I bet most processed tomatoes have their skins removed.

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

What do raw tomatoes do to you?  I don't know if tomatoes can cause OAS or not but many fruits, vegetables and even nuts can.  Your body mistakes the food for a pollen and you get itching in your mouth or throat from it. 

My brother and my daughter dislike raw tomatoes because they cause them mouth pains.  But they can eat cooked ones with no problem.

Salsa may be raw or cooked.  Really depends.

#6 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

I have been thinking about it and I think it is the Italian tomatoes I am okay with as this is the type I consume for my sauces and canned tomatoes. I have tried fresh heirloom (from my garden) and processed tomatoes (like the salsa, which was organic) and I get bad joint swelling from them. I will play around more this summer on a week when I feel really good - just to bring myself down, lol. Really, I like to get to the bottom of things if I can because with such a limited diet as it is, I like to have options when possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: