6 replies to this topic

#1 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

As well as having coeliac disease I have IBS, I managed the condition quite well until I had to stop eating gluten when diagnosed with Coeliacs. Now I am having stomach cramps etc due to not getting enough fibre in my diet. How do people manage to find sufficient fibre for the diet when most of it is found in wheat based foods?
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

The following are all good sources of fiber:

• Beans, lentils and peas
  • Fresh and dried fruits – particularly if the skins are eaten
  • Vegetables – particularly if the skins are eaten
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Jacket potatoes with skins, including sweet potatoes
  • Psyllium husks which can be added to baking or cereals

There are also the standbys of Metamucil and such to increase fiber if you are finding it is a problem.  Also, you need to be sure to drink enough water to prevent constipation.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for replying.  I already eat beans, jacket potatoes, fresh fruit and nuts, it's difficult getting 30g of fibre a day though. I am having difficulty in finding a source of dried fruit which has not been contaminated with gluten or wheat.  I was about to buy some prunes in a health store yesterday when I was told they were produced on a line which also uses wheat, I have the same problem with lentils.  I'm also beginning to think I have a problem with flax seed as whenever I eat anything with it in, I feel like I've been punched in the stomach and get griping pains.

I notice there are a lot of products you cannot eat, how on earth do you cope?

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

#4 lizardloo

lizardloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

I've added metamucil into my morning tea and afternoon water.  It's been just enough to get me up to where I need to be, and is really helping me out.

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I actually manage to eat pretty well - just not food that others prepare :ph34r: .  I am adding back little bits of my intolerances - nibbling around the edges, so to speak.  :D  Can now tolerate some potato starch in breads (like Udi's :) ), also corn starch because all the lectins have been refined out of it.  Can have soy lecithin which gave me back a lot of things.  Still haven't challenged nightshades or legumes, but have been able to tolerate them when consumed accidentally by using a product called Lectin Lock which provides the sugars for those pesky lectins to bind to (instead of to my cell walls) :o

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

It's not something I'm familiar with, but I will certainly check it out! Thanks!

I've added metamucil into my morning tea and afternoon water.  It's been just enough to get me up to where I need to be, and is really helping me out.

#7 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

You certainly seem very positive about it all. I don't let others prepare my food either. I like to know exactly where it's been! Some people just don't 'get' how careful we need to be, especially when it comes to cross-contamination. There are a few things I can't eat too, which have nothing to do with Coeliacs, but no where near as challenging as your diet.

I actually manage to eat pretty well - just not food that others prepare :ph34r: .  I am adding back little bits of my intolerances - nibbling around the edges, so to speak.  :D  Can now tolerate some potato starch in breads (like Udi's :) ), also corn starch because all the lectins have been refined out of it.  Can have soy lecithin which gave me back a lot of things.  Still haven't challenged nightshades or legumes, but have been able to tolerate them when consumed accidentally by using a product called Lectin Lock which provides the sugars for those pesky lectins to bind to (instead of to my cell walls) :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: