44 replies to this topic

#16 marco

marco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

When I wake up in the morning i never wake up feeling refreshed it is like being hit by a truck, really hard to get up every morning and always with the hangover feelings. I am on gluten free diet for only second day but my symptoms seem worse today very bloked ears and feel very tearful. Does anyone recognise these as withdrawl symptoms, is it normal to feel bad or worse for a period. Thanks for the help. I also forgot to mention there is alot of tension in my body and i have these really dark periods where I feel like there is no hope etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

Withdrawal is unfortunately an all-too-common side effect of ceasing to eat gluten.  Studies have shown that it can act as an opioid to the body and it's just like withdrawing from drugs, nicotine and alcohol for some people.  Generally lasts for 2-3 weeks at most, so you just have to ride it out -- sory, no one has developed gluten patches :D   Just warn people that you will not be yourself (whatever yourself has come to be on gluten) for a while and not to take any notice when you bite their heads off :ph34r:   They might be surprised at the new "you" that emerges out the other side of this.

With any luck, the tension and the dark periods will go away too, along with the hangovers (but not the drinking ones!).  Refreshing sleep is when you know you are on the road to recovery :)

Hang in there, dude. because better days are in store if you do.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

I felt very tired and down during my second and third week gluten-free. I remember that feeling of exhaustion; for me, I felt really good at 1-2 months into the diet.  Hang in there.

Hashimoto's hypothyroidism slows your metabolism by about 10-15%. It makes food stay in the gut longer and often results in constipation. It also causes fatigue, low pulse and foggy thinking. It is more frequently found in celiacs than in the regular population.  Try googling the symptoms and see if it applies to you. If so, the tests to request are TSH (should be near a 1), Free T4 and Free T3 (should be in the upper 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range), and TPO Ab (should be very low). Doctors will often dismiss thyroiditis symptoms if the labs are normal so get copies of your labs and research your results if you are not satisfied with the lab results.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#19 marco

marco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

Withdrawal is unfortunately an all-too-common side effect of ceasing to eat gluten.  Studies have shown that it can act as an opioid to the body and it's just like withdrawing from drugs, nicotine and alcohol for some people.  Generally lasts for 2-3 weeks at most, so you just have to ride it out -- sory, no one has developed gluten patches :D   Just warn people that you will not be yourself (whatever yourself has come to be on gluten) for a while and not to take any notice when you bite their heads off :ph34r:   They might be surprised at the new "you" that emerges out the other side of this.

With any luck, the tension and the dark periods will go away too, along with the hangovers (but not the drinking ones!).  Refreshing sleep is when you know you are on the road to recovery :)

Hang in there, dude. because better days are in store if you do.

Thanks for the support, do you recognise the hangover feeling and i get like a tingling in the face and head and migraine like headaches? thanks and all the best

#20 marco

marco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

I think I have noticed an improvement over the last week since going on a gluten free diet, however this morning I had really bad head sensations, like head filling up with that builders expanding foam, block ears and nose, and the only thing I have eaten all day is a cadbury crunchie and a dairy milk chocolate bar.

This has confused me as the label on crunchie only listed milk as a warning for allergies, I am wondering if there is something in a crunchie other than gluten that I am intolerant or if this is wrong and cadbury crunchie does contain gluten.

Anyone have a reaction to this chocolate snack or know if this is a problem for people with gluten intolerance.

Thanks for any help.

#21 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hi marco
It could be that the bar was made on a machine that previously had gluten on. It will be cleaned, but some people are very sensitive. Cadbury should be able to tell you this. Check the Dairy Milk too.

It could be that you have other food intolerances, you could try a food diary, where you record everything you eat inc all ingredients, and mak a note of any symptoms each day and see if there are patterns.

You may have got some cross contamination from elsewhere, and your symptoms be nothing to do with the chocolate!

Hope you are feeling better
Mw
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#22 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

One week is not very long on the gluten-free diet Marco.  It is really too soon to be expecting things in your gut to be settled down.  Here's the Cadbury info  page on gluten in their products for Australia.  Ingredients in products can vary by the country they are made in.  So if they were made elsewhere you should check ingredients there.  I found this info by searching on "Cadbuy gluten".  Many food companies make gluten information available on their websites now.

http://www.cadbury.c...nformation.aspx

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#23 marco

marco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to this post.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of this. I have mentioned before that I get these electrical type zaps in my head.

There is another way to describe it, it is like a seizure in the head, it is like you are temporarily going over the edge or your mind is kind of flipping over and it lasts only seconds but is very disturbing, like you are losing control of yourself or your mind, really hard to put into words.

I did some outside decorating on the house yesterday lifting heavy ladders and I got this sensation big time like worse than ever which makes me wonder if this is related to the spine or something like that.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this after heavy workload or in tiredness.

I am so confused by all this.

Many thanks again.

#24 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hi Marco,

Celiac may be causing brain symptoms for you.  Celiac can cause malabsorption of nutrients, (vitamins minerals), and that can cause all kinds of problems in the body.  It is a good idea to get tested for nutrient deficiencies if you can.  Since celiac damages the villi lining the small intestine, people are often low in the fat soluble vitamins.  The B vitamins are important for proper growth and function of the nerves.  There is also the possibility of  a direct attack on the brain by antibodies if a person has gluten ataxia.  Many times these  sort of problems resolve after being gluten-free for a while.  The body starts healing and can then absorb vitamins correctly again and the body starts to heal.  That can take months to happen though.  The nerve type issues may take longer to resolve.  Nerves grow slowly compared to other cells.  

This thread doesn't describe exactly your symptoms, but it does talk about some mental / brain symptoms.  If you search on gluten ataxia there is a lot of info on that also.

Short temper thread
http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#25 marco

marco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hi Marco,

Celiac may be causing brain symptoms for you.  Celiac can cause malabsorption of nutrients, (vitamins minerals), and that can cause all kinds of problems in the body.  It is a good idea to get tested for nutrient deficiencies if you can.  Since celiac damages the villi lining the small intestine, people are often low in the fat soluble vitamins.  The B vitamins are important for proper growth and function of the nerves.  There is also the possibility of  a direct attack on the brain by antibodies if a person has gluten ataxia.  Many times these  sort of problems resolve after being gluten-free for a while.  The body starts healing and can then absorb vitamins correctly again and the body starts to heal.  That can take months to happen though.  The nerve type issues may take longer to resolve.  Nerves grow slowly compared to other cells.  

This thread doesn't describe exactly your symptoms, but it does talk about some mental / brain symptoms.  If you search on gluten ataxia there is a lot of info on that also.

Short temper thread
http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Thanks for that and the link, I have looked this up and this certainly could be what is happening.  However i have now been gluten free for about 10 days and cannot think why this would suddenly come and be worse than i have had previously, added to that i had done alot of heavy work which had made me very tired etc which is the only differant thing to my normal routine.

Does this happen when you have gone off gluten, the only other thing i can think is that I may have been glutened and that the reaction was worse because been off gluten, i mean glutened without knowing.

All very confusing.

Thanks again

#26 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

#27 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hi Marco,

You could be having gluten withdrawal symptoms now.  Gluten proteins are similar enough to opiate proteins to interact with brain receptors.  So the can actually have an addictive effect on some people.  If it is withdrawal symptoms they should pass in a few weeks.

If it were brain/neural issues it can take months to resolve though.  It is more likely a withdrawal symptom since you are new to the gluten-free diet.

Doc Calls Wheat A "Perfect, Chronic Poison," Backs It Up With Lies - BlissTree

http://www.celiac.co...+gluten +opiate

Doc Calls Wheat A “Perfect, Chronic Poison,” Backs It Up With Lies
BlissTree
We're not talking about gluten, so I'm not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I'm talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate ...
Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says CBS News

#28 marco

marco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:34 AM

Hi Ginfin DC, thanks for all the advice.

I have been on the diet for over two weeks now, and srangely enough I have started to feel alot better in myself. My head is alot clearer and I feel more

postive and able to focus, So maybe this is gluten after all.

However a couple of things have confused me and maybe someone has the answer. The first thing is that I am still craving sugar and struggling to bring this

under control. It is not unusually for me to eat a family pack of 4 chocolate bars in one day. When i used to drink lager, I would come home from the pub and

eat a bowl of icecream and a packet of biscuits.

The second thing is I ate a bowl of gluten free oats this morning and have not had oats before and about an hour after eating them i got he old symptoms back

block ears, tingling around face blocked nose feeling of tightness inside the head, it's a really frustrating feeling not painfull but that drives you mad as it is so

unpleasant, hard to describe.

Anyway thanks for any help in advance.

#29 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Not all celiacs can tolerate oats. It is often recommended that you abstain from them for quite some time until healing has occurred, and even then they could present a problem. I have been gluten-free for ten months and I still haven't touched them... I have actually become used to not having them and no longer miss them.

As for the sugar, I have problems with that myself. If I go sugar free the cravings lift after a few weeks but they are back the moment I have an ice cream or a treat. I haven't found a solution yet.... Darnit.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#30 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi Marco,

That's right, oats shouldn't be eaten for 12 months or more.  Around 10% of celiacs react to oats just like they do to wheat, rye, and barley.  So it's a good idea to avoid them for now.

I think it is easier to avoid sugar after you do it for a while.  If you get used to eating meats and veggies for most of your calories that gives you a more even energy release than a sugar rush.  Less bouncing back and forth between high energy and low.  Which means less tress on your body.  There are replacement sweetners available with low calories.  But I think the best thing is to just stop eating the sweet stuff.  Maybe you could try a salty snack instead?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: