17 replies to this topic

#16 KerryLad

KerryLad

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Cool, Ireland is a beautiful country!  I used to get those mouth ulcers fairly often myself, but haven't had one in quite a while.  I guess its one of those thing that went away with gluten-free although I just didn't notice it.  Yep, gluten is in a whole lot of the processed foods these days.  You really need to learn to check labels every time you buy something.  It gets to be a habit after a while.

Time for improvement varies and awful lot between people.  Some people feel improvements within a few days, for others it can take months to even longer.  Gluten doesn't hang around in your body a long time.  What does take time is for the antibody reactions to die down.Think about measles.  You get exposed to measles once and you become immune to it for life because every time you are exposed to the germs your body kicks up a storm of antibodies and kills them all.  If it stopped that attack too soon you might still be in an area that has measles germs and get reinfected.  So it keeps making antibodies for a while even after the immediate threat is gone.  But any time you are re-exposed the immune system will go on full alert again and start attacking.

You are right, some of the gluten-free baked goods have a poor taste compared to gluteny versions.  But some are pretty good too.   You should mostly not eat those type of things at the beginning of the gluten-free diet anyway.  It is better to eat whole foods instead and just avoid the processed foods, including gluten-free baked goods. 

i had the camera down 2011 and had the celiac test done and that came back negitive as well could that have changed in 2 years? nad i could have became one ?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

i had the camera down 2011 and had the celiac test done and that came back negitive as well could that have changed in 2 years? nad i could have became one ?

Hi Kerrylad,

Yes, you can develop celiac disease at any time of life.  It is learned autoimmune response, just like your bodies immune system learns to respond to germs.  If you have the genes for celiac disease, it can be triggered at any time, as a child, an adult or even people in their 80's sometimes develop it.  there are also other gluten related illnesses that are recently discovered.  The links below describe them.  You won't

find any testing for these conditions yet, as they are too new.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html

Innate immune response in AI diseases
http://www.celiac.co...uals/Page1.html

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 KerryLad

KerryLad

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

does anyone know how to avoid wheat and gluten if u wash kknifes and forks and plates is it safe and if u cook chicken in the oven is it ok where other stuff was cooked before it ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: