4 replies to this topic

#1 taynichaf

taynichaf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Can I quit eating gluten after three blood tests, but before the endoscopy? My doctor said I could...but everything I've read says to not go gluten free until after tests...how long will the damage show up on the endoscopy after not eating gluten? I'm tired of feeling like crappp, plus I wanna be a little better by my birthday in a few days.

Thanks!! :)

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

If you endoscopy is within a few weeks I would GUESS that you could cut out most gluten and that you would still show damage... but that is just a guess.  People heal at such different rates, it is hard to guess how quickly you would start to heal.  Some people have autoantibodies that hang around and continue to do damage for months or even years, for others the healing begins almost immediately.  Even if your endoscopy is withing 2 weeks, I would suggest eating some gluten every few days to keep your autoimmune reaction going.

I would err on the side of caution and continue to eat small amounts of gluten - if you are undergoing an endoscopy, you might as well make the test as accurate as possible.

happy early birthday.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm having my endoscopy on Friday and was instructed to go back on gluten right after the meeting with the GI. If it makes you feel really sick to the point where you can't function, talk to your doctor. How important is having this last test to you? That being said, if you do an endoscopy stay on gluten, at least a little. Going back on is a lot worse than staying on. 

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

'Tis better to err on the side of caution, however, if your birthday is a big gluten blow-out typically, you might want to start to experiment with gluten free treats for that, such as a special gluten-free cake, ice cream, homemade pizza on a gluten free purchased crust, gluten-free beer or soda, etc, but keep consuming at least 2 servings of the glue- poison per day. 

My husband isn't gluten free, but eats that way at home, so we had buckwheat chocolate pancakes twice that week he had a birthday, with coconut, chocolate chips, and chocolate- almond spread and sweetened yogurt.  I made some other stuff that week that was also a little fancier than the usual meat/vegetable routine, like Indian curry sauce, (mixed my own curry powder) and I think we had a homemade pizza crust in there.  The regular food doesn't appeal to me at all, because of how it makes me feel, and pizza is pizza if you get whatever concoction of crust that works for your food intolerances halfway there. B)  

#5 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Thanks! I am not even getting an endoscopy anymore, so I'm just focusing on eliminating the gluten.I slowly start to cook different things. Thank you for the ideas :)

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: