13 replies to this topic

#1 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

so I visited my local Barnes and Noble the other day and picked up copies of Living Without, Gluten Free Living, Delight and Simply Gluten Free Magazine.  I've been reading them and wanted to get other's opinions about which one or two are the most respected, provide the most current research and have good recipes.  

in some other threads I've seen people had a problem with billing and their subscriptions to Gluten Free Living, but that info was in older threads.  is this still a current problem for anyone?

any websites besides celiac.com that are outstanding?

suggestions, please  :)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

any websites besides celiac.com that are outstanding?

:)

Nope :rolleyes:  We're the best. :D

I have never subscribed to magazines on the Gluten Free Lifestyle, but do from time to time pick up a copy at  B&N, for some recipe ideas.  Joining some of the national orgainizations like the Celiac Disease Foundation will offer you a quarterly newsletter with some good information, as well as their web page.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I  enjoy  all four  magazines  but  my  favorite  would  have to be Living Without....Delight  used to have  subscription problems  but  has been good  since  Vanessa took it over...Simply Gluten Free  is  new  , I  think just  the  second  issue.....

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

The only one I have ever picked up has been Living Without. I picked up the holiday issue for some ideas and liked a few of the recipes. Then I picked up the December issue after being on the fence for quite some time about starting baking again and seeing cookies that looked just like my Grammy's on the cover. I was hooked after that. I enjoy the recipes and the articles. If I see one of the others and something on the cover interests me I may pick it up, but I don't have a lot to spend on magazines and I would much rather just spend it all on Living Without. I can't foresee ever being disappointed.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

The two I have read are Living Without and Gluten-Free Living.  My personal preference is for gluten-free Living because of its focus on gluten (my particular issue).  If you have other food sensitivities such as dairy,  I could see that LW might be a better choice.

#6 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

thanks for the feedback!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

#7 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

I get recipes from some sites online. There are endless groups on Facebook that offer recipes.

Nicole has the best recipes!

https://www.facebook...estring?fref=ts

https://www.facebook...glutenfreemama1

Magazines

http://simplyglutenfreemag.com/

http://www.magazines...default,pd.html

http://www.livingwithout.com/

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#8 tinpins

tinpins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

I get recipes from some sites online. There are endless groups on Facebook that offer recipes.

Nicole has the best recipes!

https://www.facebook...estring?fref=ts

https://www.facebook...glutenfreemama1

Magazines

http://simplyglutenfreemag.com/

http://www.magazines...default,pd.html

http://www.livingwithout.com/

These are great links ... thanks  :)

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I like Living Without Magazine because it has both recipes and relevant health articles. (even my Gi doc loves to see copies of them)

I think Glutenfreegoddess has some of the best recipes. 

For humor and cutting edge commentary, I enjoy the Gluten Dude. 

The best book I have read for celiac disease info is:

Real Life with Celiac Disease by Melinda Dennis and Daniel Leffler 

Daniel Leffler, MD, MS, Director of Clinical Research is a founding member of the Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, and Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN, the Nutrition Coordinator is also a founding member

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I agree with IrishHeart! Especially glutendude.

I was just given a gift subscription to Simply Gluten Free, so far, I really like it. Good info and recipes.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#11 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

I was visiting family this weekend, and my Dad had made cookies and asked if I wanted any.  I asked if they had flour, and he thought he was being funny by saying he used gluten-free flour...except they have no gluten-free flour  :(  the probability of cross contamination, even if he did use gluten-free flour, is very high in my parent's house.  Since I don't live with them, I cannot expect that they rearrange their house every time I come to visit because that's not fair to them.  Since I'm still really new to gluten-free living, I find it easiest to eat whole foods, or prepackaged gluten free foods that I purchase and open myself when I visit them.

I tried not to get too upset, and instead the newest edition of Simply Gluten-Free came to the rescue.  There's an article in it about Bob's Red Mill's facilities, and the importance of keeping everything separate to prevent cross contamination including their buffer room.  I asked my Dad to read the article, which he did, and then he asked if he could pay me for the magazine, so that he can keep it and read the other articles in it.  I told him he could keep it, but I'd need it back the next time I see them  :)  I can't expect them to be mind readers, so hopefully it will help.  

Little vent-My Mom is another story.  She tries to be helpful, except I've asked if she cannot loudly proclaim in the grocery store, "Do you see any of your gluten foods?"   I bite my tongue because I want to say, yes I see PLENTY of gluten foods, but I need gluten-free.  Do you think next time we're near the diet coke, I should loudly exclaim, "Do you see any of your aspartame beverages?"  end rant

I really enjoy Simply Gluten Free, Gluten Free Living and Living Without.  The only thing I don't like about Living Without is the title.  In trying to keep a positive, upbeat vibe, Living Without is a pessimistic title.  How about the title Living for Longevity or Living Life?

I will have to check out Gluten Dude, and Real Life With Celiac Disease  :)

#12 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Celiac Diva.com is pretty good.

#13 Kayaking Mom

Kayaking Mom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

My favorite is Delight Gluten Free Magazine.  All the recipes are created for the magazine, and are tested in their test kitchen.  The are also life style articles for living gluten free, conversion charts, and great travel articles.  The index lists every recipe in that issue with which of the other main allergens are in the recipe, so that you can easily know which recipes fit into your particular situation.  This makes planning so much easier if you need to avoid another allergen.  There are also interesting articles by major medical professionals in the field.  

#14 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Living without just announced they are changing their name to Living Without's Gluten free and more.  On the post I saw they said it was because you don't have to go without as much these days compared to the gluten-free stone ages just a few years ago.  

I really haven't tried any magazines, but have thought about subbing to them and gluten-free living.  I think I have gotten sample copies of one or the other at expos and in sample boxes.  I tend to bookmark every good gluten-free and cooking blog I come across, and I keep up with a few regularly.  When I have a bored night I will go read what is new on them all.  I like the ones with original content and minimal marketing posts the best.  My favorite non-gluten-free food blog is http://www.101cookingfortwo.com/  because it is very similar to my cooking tastes and needs.  Lately my favorite gluten-free blog has been gluten dude, but not many recipes there.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: