9 replies to this topic

#1 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

It's finally here! My endoscopy is on Friday at 9am. I've been doing a gluten challenge for the past three weeks to ensure that I get the positive I know is there. Even if the biopsy comes back negative, I have my blood tests and these past three weeks have been such a living hell that I'm never touching gluten again. 

So here I am, the last 48 hours of eating gluten. There are a lot of "lasts" as I consume the gluten-ous foods that I used to love so dearly in their full gluten form. But the part I'm most excited for is all the firsts. First week without the nausea and vertigo I seem to have developed since going back on gluten, first classes where my head is clear and my ADD symptoms disappear like they did when I was gluten free, the first experiments with new foods that I never would have approached otherwise, and for the first time in (at least) 7 years feeling 'normal.' 

These past three weeks have allowed me to go through the grieving process that comes with the initial diagnosis as well as making me so appreciative that I have the answer to many of my physical and psychological issues. I am so excited to be gluten-free forever. 

In other news, my boyfriend just set up his appointment to get tested after he's been having the same issues with pasta as I did that prompted me to get testing done. 

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

:) Enjoy a last doughnut or cinnamon bun for me. And good luck with the biopsy. I hope it goes perfectly.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Update: 

I had more gluten yesterday than I've had in the past week and man did I pay for it. I'm still feeling it in my limbs today (soreness, tingling) but there were multiple points where my body was trying to decide if I'd stop hurting it if I puked or passed out. Luckily neither happened. But I haven't felt that bad in a long time... since before my testing in February. 

My mom is on the plane to come to my school to take me to my endoscopy and take care of me for the next couple days as I process the last bits of gluten out and get to be the best version of me again. My boyfriend has his blood tests tomorrow as well, but I'm concerned that they won't do a full pannel even if he requests it. I only got the ttgIgA test because I didn't know better. 

In 24 hours, I should be done with my endoscopy, eating creamy vanilla ice cream from a shop that the celiac's group in town promotes as safe, or at least they know how to make everything safe. I'm so ready.

#4 peanutbutter&jelly

peanutbutter&jelly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Isn't it the worst, knowing that your body doesn't cope, but you kind of have to for accurate results? :( 
5 days until my appointment. 

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Wishing you well,

Diana

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

Today is the day, right?  Good luck!

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

And I'm done!! Everything went really well today. The doctor only took one or two biopsies after he said he was going to take 8...which is slightly frustrating. But he also said there was enough visual damage that I should start being gluten free today, which was the plan anyway. I'm still a little sleepy and groggy but I don't remember a thing after they said "here comes the first wave of medicine" referring to the anaesthesia. I feel perfectly fine now and so content that this is all over. My mom is here and going to make me spaghetti with brown rice noodles for dinner. Thank you to everyone who ever read or replied to a post throughout this journey. I know this is just the beginning but I'm just so happy to know what was wrong.

#8 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

I am glad it went well and that you got a definitive diagnosis.

Happy gluten Free Day!

Diana

#9 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

glad you are getting some answers!!  hope you're feeling better today  :)

And I'm done!! Everything went really well today. The doctor only took one or two biopsies after he said he was going to take 8...which is slightly frustrating. But he also said there was enough visual damage that I should start being gluten free today, which was the plan anyway. I'm still a little sleepy and groggy but I don't remember a thing after they said "here comes the first wave of medicine" referring to the anaesthesia. I feel perfectly fine now and so content that this is all over. My mom is here and going to make me spaghetti with brown rice noodles for dinner. Thank you to everyone who ever read or replied to a post throughout this journey. I know this is just the beginning but I'm just so happy to know what was wrong.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, fat malabsorption, severe pancreatic insufficiency (taking Creon) and vitamin K and D deficiency

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#10 peanutbutter&jelly

peanutbutter&jelly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Glad it went well! Hope your gluten withdrawals aren't too bad!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: