Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Peanut Butter

16 posts in this topic

I am pretty sure I am getting gluten from my peanut butter.  I've tried 3 different brand so far...one is bad and the other two are a little better.  can anyone tell me if they have had any luck with peanut butter not being contaminated and what brand?   :wacko:

Ads by Google:

Never seen a peanut butter with gluten.  Peanuts are not grown near wheat as they need different climates.  Perhaps it is too fatty for you right now?  or maybe you have a problem with legumes?

I use Skippy usually.

Never seen a peanut butter with gluten.  Peanuts are not grown near wheat as they need different climates.  Perhaps it is too fatty for you right now?  or maybe you have a problem with legumes?

I use Skippy usually.

I am thinking maybe I am getting some cross contamination from wherever they are processed.  I seem to be really, really sensitive.   No problems with legumes...they seem to be really good for me actually.  Thanks for the response though...

Using common sense, they really can't process anything else on a pb machine.  It would be a greasy mess as well as everything would have to mention peanuts for a peanut allergy.  They probably only process PB in a factory. 

You could try to buy raw peanuts, wash them well, roast them and grind them and see how you do.

Most peanut butters have an oil added, sunflower, safflower, canola, vegetable, corn...you might have an issue with any of these oils or be reacting to CC from the oil. (I'm trying my best to have a CC free diet, and so I'm avoiding all oils that I suspect might have other grains in them, which leaves me with animal fats, olive oil and coconut oil.) Try a natural peanut butter that isn't emulsified with another oil. Nuts to You Butter Inc. brand I *seem* fine with. Only downside is that they need stirring before you use them, as the peanut's natural oils separate over time from the rest of the peanut.

To note, I didn't seem to do well with Barbour's peanut butter even though they claim it's gluten free.

I've tried one natural and two that aren't.  It is definitely a gluten reaction....I typically get painful diarrhea within 20 minutes or so and then it is over.  so I know I am definitely getting gluten.  I just don't have that kind of problem with any other food.  I'll try the Skippy and see what happens.  This isn't new for me so I know when it is gluten unfortunately.  I was using a prebiotic before that helped tone down reactions to contaminations.  I could eat in restaurants fairly well.  i'm not using the prebiotic anymore (long story)  and that makes things a little more difficult.  but I've been off for 4 years now and nothing gives me that reaction except gluten.  thanks for the responses though.  I appreciate it.

Other reactions can mimic a gluten one.

I use skippy natural.

I use only Justin's since the first time I tried it for all of my nut butters. Not for any gluten reason, but because they all amazingly delicious in a way no other nut butters I have ever tasted are. It is merely a perk for me that they happen to be certified gluten free.

It is also true that many people have reactions that are exactly like a gluten reaction, symptoms and timing, to other foods. If you have that sort of reaction to a certified nut butter, the problem is either nuts or the oils. Or the sweeteners if you are eating that sort of butter.

Not really sure it's a "gluten reaction" and the PB is "cced". No way peanut butter would be processed on shared equipment.

I get diarrhea from foods that have nothing to do with gluten, hon. Eggs, for example.

I have used natural PB (no additives) and JIF or Skippy. No problems and I am pretty sensitive.

I use only Justin's since the first time I tried it for all of my nut butters. Not for any gluten reason, but because they all amazingly delicious in a way no other nut butters I have ever tasted are. It is merely a perk for me that they happen to be certified gluten free.

It is also true that many people have reactions that are exactly like a gluten reaction, symptoms and timing, to other foods. If you have that sort of reaction to a certified nut butter, the problem is either nuts or the oils. Or the sweeteners if you are eating that sort of butter.

Thanks....maybe it is something else about my morning routine.  I just recently started eating a couple of scoops of peanut butter for my breakfast but I have also changed up my supplements a little...so maybe it is something to do with that rather than the peanut butter.  I really do think it is gluten from somewhere.  I use peanut oil and other oils with no problem.  The only other times I have had this reaction with my gut have been sometimes with either yeast extract or autolyzed yeast extract.  Maybe it has something to do with the change in my prebiotics that I am using rather than the peanut butter.  Thanks for the input..I'll keep experimenting and see if I can figure it out.  It can be frustrating sometimes trying to figure out what's wrong...I won't totally rule out something else, but I really think it is gluten from somewhere.  Thanks to all who posted.

Are you sure someone else isn't cross contaminating it?  And I too get the big D from lots of foods.  I have it now and don't even know why.  Gluten isn't even an issue for me.  My worst food is eggs.  Followed by dairy.  I also have issues with rye and oats but not gluten.

Thanks, Julie.  I am really careful about the cross contamination thing in our house. It's probably something else other than the PB.  For several years I have been using chia seeds as a prebiotic and it has always prevented me from being as sensitive if I got contaminated.  I had to switch to flax seeds recently and they just don't work quite as well.  And I have added inulin which says it is gluten free.   I know the flax seeds are not a problem.  I recently used them on an outing to the Mustard Seed and they really helped me to be able to eat without a terrible reaction.  Maybe it has something to do with the inulin itself.  I will try just peanut butter for breakfast tomorrow and leave off the supplements and see what happens. Frustrated!  Oh well...I am sure I will figure it out.   

Inulin can cause digestive upset for some people. I know it doesn't like me very much, and I have to be careful that I don't eat too many things that contain it in one day. If you're consuming quite a bit of it, that could be your culprit.

I have my own jar of peanut butter, well labelled & I can still react to pb. It's not a gluten reaction, it's a peanut butter reaction ! I can eat it occassionally but if I eat it 2-3 days in a row I get bloating & cramping. What can you do !

Hello everyone...I haven't been on in a very long time and I am not sure how to post a new thread.  I was pretty frustrated when I first posted because I was so certain that my peanut butter was contaminated with gluten.   Long story short I have discovered that my trouble..(besides gluten of course) is with processing all fats.  The reactions are different but with many non animal fats it is the same as with gluten....very painful diarrhea.  I discovered this after helping my mom recover from a heart attack last January.  I was at her house for a month and ate low fat and discovered my symptoms disappearing.  (not the symptoms for gluten unfortunately!!)  Since then I have done some searches and have found others with gluten problems having trouble with digesting fats

Also, I worked a cubscout camp and met a guy whose aunt  is gluten intolerant and cannot process any fats.  He said she could eat lean meats like ground turkey.  So...I am posting in case others have this issue and have had any success with it.  I will say that chia seed helps me digest more fat even though I know there is some omega 3 fat in it.  I am guessing it is just a good prebiotic in general for me...Haven't really had a ton of luck with probiotics but I do seem to get some improvement with Culturelle.  Just thought I'd post my discoveries and llok for others with the same issues.  

I have never been tested for Celiac but am horribly gluten intolerant.  I would never be able to go back on it to be tested..not that it is that important.  I simply cannot eat it unfortunately no matter what any test says.

Thanks for the update.  People use Google and get to these threads.  Its nice for them to see there wasn't gluten in the PB.  And its great you have figured it out so you will feel better.