5 replies to this topic

#1 gfgtj

gfgtj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Daughter has been having tummy pain past since Jan along with no appetite and bowel issues. Bloodwork came back and need some insight on how to proceed. I was diagnosed via biopsy 3yrs ago after a lifetime of issues Marsh IIIc. Trying to make sure she doesn't suffer as I did. I realize her results don't necessarily point directly at Celiac. Should I accept functional abdominal pain and move on or investiagte further?

Her results

Total IGA 216  (45-234)

End IGA AB Negative

TTG IGA 1.2 (<4)

TTG IGG 7 (<6)

MCV Low 79.4 (81.0-99.0)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

That doesnt seem to be the whole panel to me. I could be wrong though. So, I would investigate further.

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

As shadowicewolf said, you are missing tests. The deaminated gliadin peptide tests are the newest, are very reliable tests for kids, and highly specific to celiac disease. You might want to request those (DGP IgA and DGP IgG). The anti-gliadin antibody test is an older test, but you might want to request that too (AGA IgA and AGA IgG).

Her tTG IGG is close to 20% above the normal. That's not insignificant, but as you know, the tissue transglutimase tests can indicate other problems. Are there any suspicious infections or other autoimmune diseases suspected (like hashimoto's)?

I would not accept functional abdominal pain as a diagnosis if you can help it - that's what I was told as a child and I went with that for the next 30 odd years.  I could have felt better so much sooner... pain isn't normal so don't let it go.

You could also request a biopsy for further proof. More proof would be her reaction to a few months on the gluten-free diet - if she does well then it is definitely celiac disease.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 gfgtj

gfgtj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Basically her "tummy" has been bothersome 5 to 6 days out of 7 the last four months.  She has started waking up at night in pain and is missing school here and there as well. Her pain doesn't seem to be school related either she is just as likely to be sickly on the weekends. Recently she has added fatigue and muscle aches to her complaints. We go back to the GI next Friday. Hopefully they will have some ideas or accept mine.

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Basically her "tummy" has been bothersome 5 to 6 days out of 7 the last four months.  She has started waking up at night in pain and is missing school here and there as well. Her pain doesn't seem to be school related either she is just as likely to be sickly on the weekends. Recently she has added fatigue and muscle aches to her complaints. We go back to the GI next Friday. Hopefully they will have some ideas or accept mine.

No problem :)

Hopefully you get get some answers.

#6 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Pain is not a diagnosis, it is a symptom.   Putting the word "functional abdominal" in front of it doesn't make it less so.  We have pain for a reason - to make us stop doing what we are doing, that is harmful.  If we were back in the stone age, and the grass seeds we were eating caused pain, we'd stop eating them.  No different now other than the societal and cultural pressure to blend in. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: