Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Decoding My Serology?

8 posts in this topic

After a few months of nasty gut issues, one episode of bloating to the point where I couldn't move my legs without extreme pain and finally getting sick of it, I had bloods done a couple of weeks ago, which apparently have come back positive. I have a print of them sitting in front of me, an appointment for a gastroscopy next week. Feeling terrible today, and not 100% sure this is going to even make sense. Or if things are different internationally, I'm in Australia. 

My serology came back with:

Deaminated Gliadin IgG (Phadia 250): positive 14.0 

h-tTG IgA (Phadia 250): positive 42.0

IgA (Total) (Abbott Architect): 2.69 g/L (0.6o-3.96)

[please note new reference ranges]

Note underneath says both are indicative of coelic disease. 

Is there a high rate of these showing up and being incorrect, or indicative of something else? I think at the moment I'm in a state of disbelief that it's something as simple as eradication of something from my diet which could fix how I'm feeling right now. 

Ads by Google:

They are considered very accurate. Welcome to the club!

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/in-blood-tests-are-false-positives-less-common-than-false-negatives

"In blood tests, are false positives less common than false negatives?

Even though blood tests are quite accurate, they are falsely positive 1-3% of the time (i.e., being positive without the person having celiac) and, although less commonly, falsely negative 1-2% of the time (i.e., being normal when a person actually has celiac)."

does she get her decoder ring??

They are considered very accurate. Welcome to the club!

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/in-blood-tests-are-false-positives-less-common-than-false-negatives

"In blood tests, are false positives less common than false negatives?
Even though blood tests are quite accurate, they are falsely positive 1-3% of the time (i.e., being positive without the person having celiac) and, although less commonly, falsely negative 1-2% of the time (i.e., being normal when a person actually has celiac)."

Ooh, I'd love a decoder ring. Costume included?? 

Ooh, I'd love a decoder ring. Costume included??

Due to budget cuts, your decoder ring may be delayed. Costumes are optional.

Actually, due to an overflow of applicants, there is a rather long waiting list for decoder rings.  As with healing from celiac disease, one must be very patient.

Yeah... I still haven't got my ring!

;)

Worth a shot :P