15 replies to this topic

#1 sabin112

sabin112

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

I had GERD symptoms (heart burn, sore throat) everyday before being diagnosed with Celiac's disease.

I have been gluten-free for just over a month and now only get it after sports. For example, if I play basketball I have Heart burn and a sore throat for 1-2 days after.

Is this common and If so, did your GERD get better with time?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

Yes, it does get better.  Give it time :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

12+ years of "GERD", and a lifetime of "IBS", "colitits", "gastroenteritis" and a crazy burning GI tract from my mouth to you know where....all gone!

Give it time, hon. Hang in there!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

Yep, mine is far more manageable now. Instead of day to day, maybe once a week or so? If that.

#5 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Definitely but you may still have to manage it a little. Don't eat too much at one time, watch the fatty food and the spicey food....or too much acidic food (coffee, etc.). These days for me too much coffee on an empty stomach or a bad mixture like wine & nachos will give me reflux ! Dairy can get me too, everyone is different. Adding intense exercise on to an already grumpy stomach just makes it worse !

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

Yes, it does. For me, symptoms fell off (and appeared) in phases. Healing happened the same way. One day, it's just gone...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 sabin112

sabin112

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well, thank you for the replies; it all sounds very positive! I guess I will have to be a bit more careful about what I eat and exercise some good old fashion patience. Hopefully I don't have to give up my coffee, but I may have to skip it when it plays up.

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

Well, thank you for the replies; it all sounds very positive! I guess I will have to be a bit more careful about what I eat and exercise some good old fashion patience. Hopefully I don't have to give up my coffee, but I may have to skip it when it plays up.

I noticed I had to skip crunches or anything that put upward pressure on my esophagus during a GERD episode (week or so). If you do anything like that, perhaps skip that for a week and see what happens?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

thanks for starting this thread!  I'm a little over a month gluten-free as well, and I've noticed my GERD getting better.  I've recently tried a little more strenuous exercising after a long hiatus from it.  I stopped because exercise no longer made me energetic, but actually made me more tired and sore, but not a good post-workout sore  :(   I'm happy to say that I'm now slowly getting back to that good post-workout sore, but I have noticed the GERD seems to act up after my workout is over.  I'm hoping in time my body adjusts just like the other posters  :rolleyes:

I had GERD symptoms (heart burn, sore throat) everyday before being diagnosed with Celiac's disease.

I have been gluten-free for just over a month and now only get it after sports. For example, if I play basketball I have Heart burn and a sore throat for 1-2 days after.

Is this common and If so, did your GERD get better with time?

Diagnosed with celiac disease, fat malabsorption, severe pancreatic insufficiency (taking Creon) and vitamin K and D deficiency

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#10 sabin112

sabin112

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

It's good I know this is pretty common. Since we have been gluten-free for relatively the same amount of time, how bout we do an update post in a month or 2. I'd be keen to see how we progress.

#11 mamamonkey

mamamonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

Mine did get better going gluten-free (took about 4 months to be completely resolved). Now, that's one of the ways I know if I've been CC'd or accidentally glutened (along with some other not so nice GI sx), it comes back. 

Hi, I'm Melissa

Mostly gluten-free 5/12 in an attempt to help migraines

Surprise! All my GI symptoms resolved (that I was blaming on not having a gallbladder)

EGD 1/13; biopsies showed inflammation suggestive of partially treated celiac

Bloodwork negative (of course, I was gluten-free)

GI dx'd celiac 1/13

#12 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

sounds like a plan!

It's good I know this is pretty common. Since we have been gluten-free for relatively the same amount of time, how bout we do an update post in a month or 2. I'd be keen to see how we progress.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, fat malabsorption, severe pancreatic insufficiency (taking Creon) and vitamin K and D deficiency

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#13 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

It took 3 years for my GERD to go away completely. I had to avoid all acidic foods during that time as they would set it off. I still get it sometimes when i get gutened. But mostly I can eat what I want that is acidic, though if I get glutened best to stay away from the acidic stuff. So it can take a lot of time, but worth it to feel better.

#14 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Oh yeah.... dittos on most of these posts! GERD, IBS, colitis, diagnosis, just like Irish Heart (HI Irish... long time no see! ) ... and for me, going gluten free, and dairy free (dairy probably had a bigger impact on stopping GERD) along with eliminating coffee, citrus (orange juice, lemonade, etc) and also eliminating pork, which I was surprised to learn that I'm allergic to... all of those things made a HUGE difference. In fact I would say .... if I have GERD symptoms once or twice a year, that would surprise me. Its essentially a thing of the past for me, but I am VERY vigilant about eating only things I have tested and I know don't make me sick in any form. My blood tests were all out of whack when I was diagnosed... including having high levels of eosinophils (eosinophilic esophagitis) which they found correlated to Celiac Disease in I believe it was a study in Netherlands. It was something close to 50% of 405 kids tested had BOTH!  Anyway... like I said, almost all my blood tests were out of whack when I was diagnosed, and six months later.... ALL NORMAL!!!!!!!! .... ANd STILL normal! Keep in mind... I was SO SICK of being sick that I literally did not put ANYTHING in my mouth that I knew would make me sick. If I did get sick a reviewed what I ate, until I could eliminate the problematic food. A lot of people don't think they need to do this, and suffer instead. I wasn't willing to suffer anymore once I learned that food could make me so sick (ei: gluten). For me that opened up the though process of... okay if gluten can make me so sick...what if something else is also making me sick.  In my case, it turned out to be true on many fronts. Along with gluten and dairy intolerances, I have multiple food allergies, ranging from apples, peaches, cherries, melons, celery, carrots, shellfish, and pork...to name a few. I also found out that High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil!  That makes me sick too... and I avoid it at all costs, along with food dyes, preservatives, and any "itol" fake foods, like sorbitol (doctors orders). Anyway, long story short, YES you will get better, but there is no magic bullet. It takes time and persistence, to figure out what your body is reacting to. Once you figure that out, you will no longer have GERD. :) I'm living proof of that.  Best wishes to you!

~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

tTg IgA IgG borderline 1/25/11 Posted Image
HLA DQ2.5 Positive 2/11/11
Biopsy 4/11/11
100% Lactose/Dairy Free 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11
Life is SO MUCH better gluten-free!

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

Ms.Curious! Hey there! so good to "see" you again. I have often wondered how you are doing! Glad to hear you're doing so well! :)

I love healing stories!!!

Sabin,

Her post just reminded me that my also G F Mom, who was on 2 different GERD meds dumped her big glass of milk that she had every single night of her life with dinner (I know, what 85 year old still drinks a big honking glass of milk, right? She just really liked it and her bones are stronger than mine) :D

She finally listened to her daughter and went without it --just to try it--and within 2 weeks, she stopped the GERD, chest pain  and constant burping she had (every single night of her life.)  1 +1 =2  No need for drugs.

I looked like a genius! LOL

She (and I) both drink So Delicious Coconut milk instead. Twice the calcium and well, it's so delicious. 

We can both eat ice cream and all other dairy products now--without a single problem.

It's worth a try to temporarily avoid it.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: