1 reply to this topic

#1 eleanorj

eleanorj

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Received my results yesterday, doctors says I'm negative for celiac and saw my actual test results this morning. And yes, all in normal range but the

immunoglobulin a, qn, serum 82     91-414 mg/dL

It's a tad low and I'm wondering what it means? I was expecting to see numbers higher than the range, not lower.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

As I understand it, immunoglobulin A levels are tested as a sort of control to ensure that this aspect of your immune function is at adequate levels for accurate ttg IgA, EMA IgA, DGP IgA and AGA IgA (celiac) tests.  Your IgA levels are low, as are approximately 5% of all celiacs (higher than regular population). If you are testing for celiac disease, you will have to rely on IgG tests instead, or the endoscopic biopsy, because any test with IgA will not give you positive results even if you are a celiac...

Did your doctor test you with IgG tests? If not, you should request the DGP IgG, tTG IgG, AGA IgG and even the EMA IgG if it's available.

A low IgA, i think, may mean that that aspect of your immune function is underperforming, but I do not think it has any serious health consequences.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: