6 replies to this topic

#1 shorebird

shorebird

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

I've been gluten-free for 5 years (dx'd celiac disease 2008) and around four or five months ago I noticed my digestive symptoms and other issues coming back. I have difficulty absorbing Vitamin B and there have been times when I had irritability related to it if I didn't take my vitamin each day. Well lately I've been having the worst mood swings. I can go from sad to having a raging temper in the blink of an eye. I thought it was just the stress from having a high needs baby, but I realized it was food related. Every time I eat corn or anything containing corn derivatives (like corn starch) my emotions and temper get out of control. As long as I stay on a strict gluten-free and CF diet, I'm fine and my emotions/temper stay in check. I hate that I get these mood swings because even though I know I'm being irrational, I can't help it and don't know what to do. I feel terribly guilty about it, especially when I take it out on loved ones. Has anyone else experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, I don't always treat people the way I would want them to treat me.  I don't really think all of it can be justified by celiac or anything else.  It can be tough.

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

I was much crankier on gluten...well, I was crankiest when I went through a gluten withdrawal of sorts, but I found it helpful to think about the fact that I knew what was causing the bad mood so i didn't "share" it with others. I know I was quieter than normal, and I would often turn a particularly grumpy moment into a laugh by growling my displeasure.

I hope you feel better soon. I've heard corn can be difficult to completely eliminate at first. Best wishes with getting it out quickly.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 shorebird

shorebird

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, I don't always treat people the way I would want them to treat me.  I don't really think all of it can be justified by celiac or anything else.  It can be tough.

Well I know that my celiac is the source of my mood swings (and nothing else) because as soon as I eat any gluten or corn, my emotions go haywire. It just sucks that it happens, especially when I accidentally get "glutened" then I know I'm going to have a rough time.

#5 shorebird

shorebird

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

I was much crankier on gluten...well, I was crankiest when I went through a gluten withdrawal of sorts, but I found it helpful to think about the fact that I knew what was causing the bad mood so i didn't "share" it with others. I know I was quieter than normal, and I would often turn a particularly grumpy moment into a laugh by growling my displeasure.

I hope you feel better soon. I've heard corn can be difficult to completely eliminate at first. Best wishes with getting it out quickly.

Thank you. I hate the thought of never eating corn again because I LOVE tortilla chips and tacos. Sometimes I feel like one day I'm going to wake up and find that I can't eat anything at all because everything makes me sick! Going corn free will be tough. I wonder what it is about gluten that can cause mood swings? It seems like gluten can wreak havoc on just about anything in someone with celiac disease.

#6 JamieRmusic

JamieRmusic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

I think this is very common when you are a celiac. Have struggled with the same thing myself. End up being a complete a$$(#"€ even if I try not to at its worst. Just can't control the body in a proper way.

Do you have a very sensitive case of celiacs? Starches will do the same to my body as wheat does to other. It causes and inflammation and makes me feel just as sick. I.e modified corn starch. Lately other things has started triggering inflammation, even from whole foods. So i don't really have any good tips to give other than either minimize or just stay away from it

Life is a wonderful ride. Don't resist, hide in your thoughts or live in alternative realities. Open your eyes or you might miss out. It is happening right now. 

Work on becoming the strongest version of yourself, so you can help other people become stronger and better. - Elliot Hulse

#7 shorebird

shorebird

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

I think this is very common when you are a celiac. Have struggled with the same thing myself. End up being a complete a$$(#"€ even if I try not to at its worst. Just can't control the body in a proper way.

Do you have a very sensitive case of celiacs? Starches will do the same to my body as wheat does to other. It causes and inflammation and makes me feel just as sick. I.e modified corn starch. Lately other things has started triggering inflammation, even from whole foods. So i don't really have any good tips to give other than either minimize or just stay away from it

Thanks. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

I used to not be sensitive until recently. I had some shredded cheese last week and ended up with the worst mood swings. Turns out it contained corn starch. Why they would put that in cheese I just don't understand. I definitely have to stay away from popcorn, corn starch, whole corn, and corn tortillas. It sucks that corn is in practically EVERYTHING these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: