3 replies to this topic

#1 quirozson

quirozson

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

I went to a local Sushi restaurant that may be the best Sushi in all of North America.  Anyway,  three servers, a manager, and a bartender assured me that Asahi Super Dry was in fact gluten free and safe for celiacs.  This morning I woke up with terrible brain fog! I went to the ASAHI website and in their description they tout the quality of their barley!

"The malted barley we use for SUPER DRY is selected strictly in compliance with more than a hundred criteria we have set for this ingredient..."

http://www.asahibeer...perdry/secrets/

I'm new to Celiac, I even used my iphone to search the beer.  I was getting different answers online so I trusted the waitstaff, manager, and bartender.  One waitstaff even told me she had Celiac a "would know."  

I hope this forum gets to the top of Google search for "Asahi Gluten Free," so others don't make the same mistake.

I know many Celiacs consider this a safe beer...   nevertheless, IT IS NOT GLUTEN FREE!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I had a waitress in a sports themed bar/restaurant try to give me another brand of beer that I knew darned well was not gluten free  to go with my gluten free pizza, saying "and oh, we have brand xxx, gluten free beer."  This particular beer brand isn't even marketed as gluten free.  I said, that's not a gluten free beer, and she says, oh yes it is, it's processed that way.   :blink: :ph34r:  :angry:  <_<   I really wonder if they don't have their heads up their bums sometimes.  Fortunately I don't drink beer anyway.  I ordered plain water in a bottle just to get the point across.   I've done good with their actual meal there repeatedly, so I don't want to slam the entire establishment, but don't automatically trust waitstaff in busy chain restaurants selling name brand profit makers.

Last time I was in a bar they let me read all the labels on the diet sodas, and we gave them a nice tip.  I found out that one brand of diet root beer has starch in it.   :wacko:  Now, it is said that starch in North America is typically made from corn, but who knows.  Was this highly processed barley starch ?  I got a different flavor.   Cue theme music from "Jaws."  "dunt dunt duh dunt... "  it lurks, everywhere  :P .

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Now, it is said that starch in North America is typically made from corn, but who knows.

If it was "starch" as a single-word ingredient, it means cornstarch.

For purposes of labeling in accordance with Section 403(i) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and Section 4(a)(1) of the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act, the term "starch" is considered the common or usual name for starch made from corn; alternatively, the name "cornstarch" may be used.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Just a note here, I've never found an Asian rice-based beer that is gluten-free. Doesnt mean they arent out there, but I've never found one in the US.

The only beers I've found that are gluten-free are marketed as "gluten-free"...and some of those aren't if they contain barley. I think they call those "low gluten" now??

Apple/pear cider is another story. Lots of brands out there are naturally gluten-free.

If Sapporo was gluten-free I'd be so dang happy.

And I had a waitress tell me this, regarding a ketchup I was unfamiliar with: "Our bartender is diabetic and he eats gluten-free and he eats it."

Well, yippidy doo dah! Is he Celiac???? I guess I should thank the bartender - he's probably the reason gluten-free was offered at all. I think it was ok, first time I ever had a gluten-free burger with a bun. I was a little worried....almost asked to see the package of gluten-free buns.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: