9 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

The other day I picked up some sun chokes or Jeresulem artichokes.  I peeled them and then shredded them in the food processor and put them in a small pot  with oil a tablespoon of water and  salt.  I rather forget them, having set the timer to steam them for 10 minutes, until I smelled a sensation like that of hash browns frying!  Yum. 

I enjoyed a delicious vegetable that night , for sure.  I can't wait until I can find some more.  I recommend trying these for these to anyone not wanting to have potatoes, but that likes the taste and feel of them.  Anyone just wanting to extend their diet might also want to try this.

Incase anyone is wondering they are in the sunflower family.  They are roots of a certain variety.  I want to get some in my garden!

Diana

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

http://www.bhg.com/g...alem-artichoke/

So you basically made hash browns with them?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I used to have a patch of them in my yard when I lived in Connecticut. They even look like sunflowers, tall and green, except the flowers are small. They keep coming back each year and each year the patch grows bigger. They can take over your whole yard! They taste even better after the first frost. If you eat them raw in a salad they have a wonderful nutty flavor and the texture of water chestnuts. They are great cooked any way you might cook a potato. I used to slice them thin and fry them. The only problem using homegrown artichokes is that all of those little "nubbies" hold the dirt. You need to scrub them with a toothbrush and even then it's hard to get all of the dirt off of them.

I miss them. Can't buy them in a grocery store here and I doubt if they'd grow here either. Enjoy some for me!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I used to have a patch of them in my yard when I lived in Connecticut. They even look like sunflowers, tall and green, except the flowers are small. They keep coming back each year and each year the patch grows bigger. They can take over your whole yard! They taste even better after the first frost. If you eat them raw in a salad they have a wonderful nutty flavor and the texture of water chestnuts. They are great cooked any way you might cook a potato. I used to slice them thin and fry them. The only problem using homegrown artichokes is that all of those little "nubbies" hold the dirt. You need to scrub them with a toothbrush and even then it's hard to get all of the dirt off of them.

I miss them. Can't buy them in a grocery store here and I doubt if they'd grow here either. Enjoy some for me!

Artichokes will do great in a pot. You could take it in during the winter. They grow in AZ - surely they'll grow there!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

I have this growing in my garden but I haven't tried eating the roots. Unfortunately, they aren't spreading like wildfire...time to get my soil checked! Guess I will try it at the end of the season provided they do spread a bit.

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

If they can grow in my area, they can grow anywhere.  Honest.  They grow in northern Alberta!  I get them from the Farmer's Market sometimes.  My favourite thing to do with them is to make a mean roasted wild mushroom and sunchoke soup.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yes, you could call it hashbrowns and I am going to check out the article.

http://www.bhg.com/g...alem-artichoke/

So you basically made hash browns with them?

#8 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Oh hey I totally forgot it's harvest time for artichokes, they grow wild all over my garden but I've never bothered eating them. Because I didn't know they were good for leaky guts until this year. They are a very invasive plant, super easy to grow, weed like actually!

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

I'm glad they worked for you.  I can't touch the things.  Gave me the most horrid stomach pains and gas.

#10 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I've seen them at the organic market and the farmer's market in the summer, but never tried them. Now's time to give it a shot. And if they're tasty maybe I'll try growing some.

Thanks

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: