Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dapsone Resurrected For Chronic Urticaria - Article

7 posts in this topic

This was in my inbox this morning.

Would take further reading to find out if test subjects were screened for DH or Celiac.

Apparently, I can't link to the article without going into my personal account.... so, here's the info. Go to Medscape http://www.medscape.com and get a free account, and you can read it.

Dapsone Resurrected for Chronic Urticaria

Kate Johnson

Mar 06, 2013

Ads by Google:

Can't access it prickly. It says we have to have a password ---- yours. Can you copy & paste it for us please?

Can't access it prickly. It says we have to have a password ---- yours. Can you copy & paste it for us please?

Apparently, I can't link to it without using my personal account. Sigh. Medscape is free and open to all. I included the title and author. Some days....

OH! I didn't know Medscape was free. Thanks!

No, they were not tested for celiac disease.

An excerpt:

Before starting therapy with dapsone, patients underwent
the following laboratory assessment: full blood cell count
(including differential white blood cell count, platelet and
reticulocyte count), liver and renal function tests, urinalysis
and glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase levels. Full blood cell
count was repeated 2 weeks after initiation of therapy and then
every 4–6 weeks.

I wonder about sample bias. Were they ever screened for DH or Celiac prior to being admitted to the study?

You generally don't get to chronic urticaria without a few doctor visits. What was ruled out?

They don't say. And the study was on;y done on 11 people. I kind of don't like studies involving so few people.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi!  I've had good luck at the Minnesota state fair because most food booths are only doing one thing so there is no cross-contamination. For example: french fries or chocolate covered bacon or Indian kebabs.   But I live in California and I am heading to the state fair today! Does anybody have any great food suggestions that are definitely gluten-free there? Thanks, Celiac C.
    • Hi.  I have been reading your post and thinking about how my pain was around diagnosis.  It was above the belly button, I think where you are describing.  At the time I assumed I had a stomach ulcer.   I had been taking Neurofen for an ear problem and assumed it was the NSAID that had caused my stomach ulcer (which I actually didn't have, when I had an endoscopy a few weeks later my stomach was looking great! My small intestine was not!).   Going back to the pain, it was a burning feeling.   My doctor prescribed Omeprazole but it didn't touch it.   In fact I ended up with bad D. which eventually lead to me having all the tests for Celiac Disease.   I still get that pain if I eat oats (pure oats) that are supposed to be OK for most Celiacs.     I get various pains in different places in my digestive tract from time to time, but that burning pain is something I won't forget. The other thing I had that you mention was that pain between the shoulder blades.  I had that - I felt almost like someone was pushing my shoulders down.  So odd. I get palpitations when I am anemic.    I hope you get some answers soon.  It is pretty tough having to keep going from one doctor to another, but sometimes it is the only way.   
    • I sit in an ice bath after a long training (running or riding).  It speeds my recovery, I swear!  
    • Oh, one last thing..... ICE PACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll feel better. Hey, you have a tub? Want to join the polar bear club in the privacy of your own home? Fill that thing with cold water & dump a 5 or 10 lb bag of ice in there. I'm serious.
    • I don't care what she specializes in, you MAKE her do a dh biopsy. I'm not being mean. Please understand that. It's just that I've heard this a thousand times before - no, a thousand one hundred!  Here's another thing ~~~ get her to order a eTG aka TG3 serum (blood test). That is specific for dh.  Oh gosh! Don't you just hate the ones in your ears???!!!!! Nah, we hate ALL of them! I swear though, when those suckers get going in & on your ears it just drives you stark raving mad!!!!! You've convinced me there is more than ample reason to strongly suspect it's dh.  Here's a tip..... the patterning the lab will be looking for is very easily destroyed by scratching so pick you out some prime places that are new & maybe, just maybe you haven't scratched them to smithereens thus far, and make some super thick gauze bandages & place them over those places so even if you reach to scratch (& we know you will! right?) the gauze will remind you & hopefully help to protect it. The biopsy needs to be taken from a clear area adjacent to a fresh lesion. No steroid creams okay? Not till after the biopsy. BTW, if she wants to put you on steroids after the biopsy be warned, 99% of the time there is such a backlash of the rash the moment you go off the steroid that you will wish you were never born. A dx of dh IS a dx of celiac disease & no further testing is needed. Please come back & update us after you see her tomorrow. In the meantime you have my heartfelt sympathy. Take those cold showers & grit your teeth. Hopefully you will soon be able to go gluten free & start getting some relief.   
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Feralgurl