Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Just Diagnosed With celiac disease And I Don't Feel Full!

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I've just been diagnosed with celiac disease, like not even a week ago, and I'm having a hard time coping with everything. First of all, I'm 7 months pregnant, so it was tough for me to here the news because of that alone. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom... My biggest problem right now is not knowing what exactly is safe and not safe to eat ( I see the dietician in about a week), and also if anyone has had the problem of not feeling full at all after they eat anymore, or if it's just something that happens in the beginning. My family thinks that all these years when I thought I had that "full" feeling it could have just been the bloating and tummy ache from not being gluten free. I don't really know, so of anyone had this problem and has any advice at all I'd really appreciate it!!(: Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Hi LalaSara,

Having had 5 babies, I am not surprised that you are very hungry at 7 months pregnant.  Make sure your meal plan includes protein, carbs, and good fat.  The fat (olive oil, butter, or coconut oil) helps you to feel full and stay full.  I hope you have found a gluten free multi-vitamin and other nutrients that you might be low in.  This is a hard time to get the diagnosis, but now you can do something about it.

Smoothy ( I take these before bed at times when I can't stay full:)

Coconut milk

Small amount of frozen fruit

1 Tbsp nuts

Add 1 Tbsp honey, ( if you must)

Grind in blender.

Incase you are worried about the health of the baby, I had my 5 before I know I had celiac.  They are all healthy, so they can do very well.  I do recommend getting gluten free and staying there.  Please read the suggested tips in the post above.  I hope you will have a very good birthday party when the baby comes.

Stick to whole, naturally gluten free, unprocessed foods and you will find lots and lots to eat.  Shop the produce section, meat/fish/dairy/eggs, and beans/rice and you're good.

What sort of things do you usually eat?  That will help us help you fastest. :)

So far all I've been eating is gluten free chex cereal, fresh fruits/veggies, and chicken. We had to do a clean out of the pantry and fridge and the only gluten product we have left is pasta and his cereal ( my husbands ). I'm just hungry all the time and I'm trying not to burn through the food, but it's hard. I LOVE all fresh fruits and veggies, meats, but I do however love pasta and bread too. Did you guys have that problem though, with never feeling full when first diagnosed?

Usually, the first couple of weeks, we are hungry. It's our body trying to get the food/ nutrients we were missing. Being pregnant, that must be worse.

Try to get some fats and protein to help you feel full. You can eat rice, beans, avocados, dairy, etc. there are rice and corn pastas you might like. You can put pasta sauces and cheeses on & in rice.

Hi everyone! I've just been diagnosed with celiac disease, like not even a week ago, and I'm having a hard time coping with everything. First of all, I'm 7 months pregnant, so it was tough for me to here the news because of that alone. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom... My biggest problem right now is not knowing what exactly is safe and not safe to eat ( I see the dietician in about a week), and also if anyone has had the problem of not feeling full at all after they eat anymore, or if it's just something that happens in the beginning. My family thinks that all these years when I thought I had that "full" feeling it could have just been the bloating and tummy ache from not being gluten free. I don't really know, so of anyone had this problem and has any advice at all I'd really appreciate it!

Except for being pregnant...I can relate.  I was diagnosed last month and the only way to describe my appetite is ravenous. One week after being gluten-free I felt a hunger I never had before.  StilI, I cannot seem to eat enough.  My dietician suggested I shop the perimeter of the grocery store where you find the fresh food (meats, fruits, vegetables, etc.). I started snacking on hummus (great with carrots and/or gluten-free crackers). 

Thank you all for your help and in put!! I really appreciate it!!! It's a lot easier being able to talk to other people with the same problems!! It's hard here because everyone (some family, friends, co workers) say to me, "Oh it's no big deal, it's just going gluten free!" Well, I don't know if I'm being over emotional because of the hormones LOL, but this is pretty tough for me because you don't realize how many different things contain gluten until you have to cut it.

Thank you all for your help and in put!! I really appreciate it!!! It's a lot easier being able to talk to other people with the same problems!! It's hard here because everyone (some family, friends, co workers) say to me, "Oh it's no big deal, it's just going gluten free!" Well, I don't know if I'm being over emotional because of the hormones LOL, but this is pretty tough for me because you don't realize how many different things contain gluten until you have to cut it.

You are not being emotional because of the hormones.  I have been in a funk the last two weeks. My husband and my younger son do not have Celiac.  My older son and I do.  My kitchen is half gluten-free/non-gluten-free and it is really hard. Hard because I have to make sure there isn't any cross-contamination and hard because I want what they have instead of a 'substitute.'  On the flip-side...I feel so much better.  I have energy now, dark circles under my eyes are gone, put on a few pounds (had lost a lot of weight).  Be careful of gluten in medications and lipgloss/balm/lipstick.    Shars has good gluten-free bread and Udi's makes a good frozen pizza...expensive but good. 

I love pasta, too.  Mueller's just put a gluten-free pasta on the market.  My son and I love it and have not had any adverse reactions. It is definitely easier now than it was four weeks ago.  This is the first time I have been in contact with anyone else (besides my son) who has celiac and it feels good.