7 replies to this topic

#1 AnnieRowe

AnnieRowe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hi all! I have recently been diagnosed and I'm still learning. Last night my husband made a beer can chicken in our smoker but made me a chicken breast of my own. After we ate I got really ill. I'm assuming its from the beer being in the smoker. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'm not sure I understand just what happened. If your serving of chicken was prepared separately from the smoked chicken, I would not expect there to be anything to worry about.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 AnnieRowe

AnnieRowe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

The can of beer sat inside a chicken boiling beer into the chicken body. My chicken sat next to it in the smoker. Would the beer steam have contaminated my chicken?

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Steam wouldn't have large molecules in it. It's a gas. I think some of the beer could have splattered on your chicken. What else have you smoked on those grates? Things marinated In a soy sauce based marinade? Did he slop beer on his tongs and then use them on your chicken? So many ways this could be an issue.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I would think that as the beer-butt-chicken would cook, it would spatter around the grill....up the butt or not. Your chicken woudl be subjected to be cross contamination as well.  But(t), I bet is was good though.   Hope you feel better soon. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 AnnieRowe

AnnieRowe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm not sure what goes on when he is out there smoking the meat. It could have been any of those things. What would you suggest we do to make sure the smoker is clear?

#7 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

The can of beer sat inside a chicken boiling beer into the chicken body. My chicken sat next to it in the smoker. Would the beer steam have contaminated my chicken?

Nope, not beer steam.  I would have to be tangible particles splashed onto the chicken, possible in this case.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm not sure what goes on when he is out there smoking the meat. It could have been any of those things. What would you suggest we do to make sure the smoker is clear?

Then i wouldn't eat anything he made until he is ready to take your illness seriously.

If he is interested in smoking safe food for you - you can put the grill/ grates in a self clean oven and run the clean cycle. Then scrape any soot off and wash well. Or replace the grates. Or cook food on foil or a foil grill pan. The easiest thing we have found is to just not use anything with gluten on the grill. It's too hard to remember to use this utensil and not that one. Don't pick that up and carry it across the gluten-free item, etc.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: