This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not Sure What To Do.

Juanitahoy

Juanitahoy Rookie

I was led to believe some crackers were gluten free, and did not find out until after I ate the entire snack sized bag that this was not true.

Three weeks ago I had one piece of elbow pasta, without knowing, and it produced a week of GI symptoms and a rash on my face that I still haven't gotten rid of.

I tried to vomit unsuccessfully, and am now having sharp stomach pains. I called my doctor and they don't have anything to tell me.

Is there anything I can do?? I have been gluten-free for 18 months and this is the biggest mistake I've ever made! Sooooo upset!!!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

What kind of crackers were they?

I think most of us have had a bad situation like this. My mother (also Celiac) accidentally bought non-gluten-free bread and we ate it for a week before I decided to check the bag. So me, my mom and my sister all got glutened. Not fun.

this is a good reminder to ALWAYS read the labels. Before diving in, of course. And if someone says its gluten-free, ask to see the package, or a list of ingredients, or something. If they can't produce that, then I'd decline, just to be safe.

As for what you can do, you mostly just have to ride it out. I take ginger for nausea, pain killers if its really bad. Drink lots of water. Eat safe foods that are easy on your system.

I hope you get better soon!

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry, kiddo. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do when this happens.

Don't try to force yourself to vomit. You'll just rip up your GI tract with stomach acid.

Try not to get too upset about it as that is not going to help at all except give you wrinkles  (who needs those, right??)

When I get "hit" accidentally, I drink a lot of water,take digestive enzymes for a few days,

take extra probiotics (3-4 doses throughout the day to help with the gastrenteritis that develops)

and just wait for it to pass. Literally.

Rest, be good to yourself.

If you tolerate dairy, have a bowl of ice cream.

This does not change anything, it just tastes good and makes me feel happy.

Juanitahoy Rookie

Thanks so much! They were a goldfish type cracker. I am usually so good about checking labels and things, but they were in a boxed lunch type thing, and I thought the outside of the box said it was gluten free. It turns out a different "flavor" lunch was the gluten free one, and only some items in this one were gluten-free. Oh well...

The most frustrating thing was that my doctor had no advice. I also wa at a hospital when it happened so I walked into a "celiac clinic" and asked for some advice as a favor. They also had nothing to tell me. Same from a pharmacist when I went to get some pepto and gas x.

Then I went into a whole foods. I talked to two people, both of which had gluten issues! Finally I wasn't alone. I picked up some probiotics and some gluten-ease 2. Not convinced the gluten ease will work, but I figure it's worth a shot. They also suggested a neem cream since I have an issue with breakouts/dh? when glutened.

I will spend the rest if the day relaxing and drinking lots and lots of water. If I wasn't having some pain/ stomach upset the ice cream would hit the spot! For now I think I'll avoid food.

Although my body is still unhappy, my mind is eased. Thank you all for your support! *hugs* =)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hon, the docs (especially thos who do not have celiac themselves) have no idea what to tell you to do because there is nothing that can be done.

The only peeps who have any suggestions are peeps like us. :)

If the gluten ease tabs are the ones made by Enzymedica, there are people who think it helps "digest" the gluten faster and resolve the symptoms

more quickly. I tried them and I am not sure, to be honest if it helped or not. The last time I got hit, I was on vacation and I think I was so happy and relaxed, the hit wasn't so bad. I used to have symptoms for weeks, but last time, it passed within a few days.

Just chock it up to "sh*t happens" and do not beat yourself up over it, okay? Everyone makes mistakes.

Hang in there  ((hugs)) and snuggle in and watch a movie.

nvsmom Community Regular

L-glutamine can help with muscles healing, and so it also helps in our muscular small intestine. You might want to try that supplement - it's often around the protein powders in health food stores.

Don't worry, you won't be back to square one. There might be some injury, but after 18 months gluten-free your inflammation levels are probably waaay down and you'll heal faster this time around.  Hang in there. I hope you don't feel too poorly.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

The last time I got glutened, I found that charcoal capsules helped a GREAT

deal. I guess it makes sense, they give you charcoal for an overdose, so it

oughta help with the gluten poison I figure! Might also try licorice tea and

anything minty for the stomach upset. Most find these to be soothing to an

upset stomach.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

The last time I got glutened, I found that charcoal capsules helped a GREAT

deal. I guess it makes sense, they give you charcoal for an overdose, so it

oughta help with the gluten poison I figure! Might also try licorice tea and

anything minty for the stomach upset. Most find these to be soothing to an

upset stomach.

Listen to Bunnie...if and be sure you accidentally ingested gluten - add charcoal and rest along with drinking lots of water - eating what you are able - more water and rest until it passes.
IrishHeart Veteran

Just be careful with the charcoal tabs. Not too many of them at once because they absorb everything in the gut, even the nutrients you want to keep.  IMHO

When I used them, I took 2 - 3X a day. 

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

As with anything, following the directions on the package is most certainly advised!

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Great ideas.  Thanks.

IrishHeart Veteran

As with anything, following the directions on the package is most certainly advised!

Of course, but some folks on here think "more is better" when it comes to supplements and have overdone them and wondered why they felt like crapola. There are no directions for "treating a gluten hit"  :) so, I was just suggesting she be careful.

GFinDC Veteran

You can also try Pepto Bismol or anything muscilaagenous that will coat the gut.

IrishHeart Veteran

.......... anything muscilaagenous that will coat the gut.

....... before celiac, did you ever expect to find yourself using that phrase in conversation? nope, me neither.  :lol:

( and auto-correct check mangled it, I see) Dang computers.

mushroom Proficient

I found only two things that would help coat my gut:  oodles of yogurt to soothe and comfort it :)  and neat scotch to shock the h*ll out of it and beat it into submission :ph34r:  (but not both at the same time!)

:lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

I found only two things that would help coat my gut:  oodles of yogurt to soothe and comfort it :)  and neat scotch to shock the h*ll out of it and beat it into submission :ph34r:  (but not both at the same time!)

GFinDC Veteran

....... before celiac, did you ever expect to find yourself using that phrase in conversation? nope, me neither.  :lol:

( and auto-correct check mangled it, I see) Dang computers.

Ha Ha, not really IH.  :)  Then again, I never would of thot I would spend a lot of time on a site where people discuss their bowel habits every day either.  Such an interesting and inspirational subject after all! :D

OK, now Shroomie, you could try some Marshmallow root or some okra some time instead.  Marshmallow and Scotch straight up might work.  If you put enough Marshmallow or psyilliujm husks in your Scotch you could prolly make Scotch jello from them.  Sounds very soothing to me! :)

Or Vodka could work too.  Tater vodka of course.  Certainly can help with falling asleep at night if you are hurting, that's for sure.

mushroom Proficient

Or Vodka could work too.  Tater vodka of course.  Certainly can help with falling asleep at night if you are hurting, that's for sure.

Nope, don't "do" taters.  Not even in wodka, just to be sure.  Go for the burn with scotch :D   Nothing like a good sear to seal in the juices.

IrishHeart Veteran

I never would of thot I would spend a lot of time on a site where people discuss their bowel habits every day either. 

it's a bum job, but someone's gotta do it. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

With any luck, juanitahoy is feeling better today and seeing that humor also heals. ;)

anti-soprano Apprentice

Thank you all for your posts and your willingness to help.  It not only helps the person who started the thread, but those who go searching for answers- even for for years to come.

I just ate the ONLY bloody Altoid that isn't gluten free (just my luck) and was looking for ways to combat the reaction knowing that it's coming.  Maybe the wheat maltodextrin won't affect me so badly, but I have my doubts knowing that I glutened myself from hand sanitizer.  Looked into the charcoal capsules, but the drug store didn't have any.  I'll try that next time.  :wacko:

It's so good to be able to vent to people who truly understand.  My friend said "and that little thing will cause a reaction?"  I was thinking "OMG it was huge!!!"  It would be good to know how you're feeling today, Juanitahoy.  Hope that it's all good.

Shellie

mushroom Proficient

With any luck, juanitahoy is feeling better today and seeing that humor also heals. ;)

Thanks for reminding me, IH, that not everyone might be in the mood for my brand of humor.  I hope you are feeling better juanitahoy :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for reminding me, IH, that not everyone might be in the mood for my brand of humor.  I hope you are feeling better juanitahoy :)

No, honestly,  I meant it in a good way ---and I hope she is okay with MY sense of humor, too :D .  Us "veterans" know that humor is healing :)

mushroom Proficient

No, honestly,  I meant it in a good way --- :)

And I did too :rolleyes:  -- I sometimes get a little over exuberant :P

IrishHeart Veteran

And I did too :rolleyes:  -- I sometimes get a little over exuberant :P

and I don't??  :lol:  peas/pod

Archived