27 replies to this topic

#1 Juanitahoy

Juanitahoy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

I was led to believe some crackers were gluten free, and did not find out until after I ate the entire snack sized bag that this was not true.

Three weeks ago I had one piece of elbow pasta, without knowing, and it produced a week of GI symptoms and a rash on my face that I still haven't gotten rid of.

I tried to vomit unsuccessfully, and am now having sharp stomach pains. I called my doctor and they don't have anything to tell me.

Is there anything I can do?? I have been gluten-free for 18 months and this is the biggest mistake I've ever made! Sooooo upset!!!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

What kind of crackers were they?

I think most of us have had a bad situation like this. My mother (also Celiac) accidentally bought non-gluten-free bread and we ate it for a week before I decided to check the bag. So me, my mom and my sister all got glutened. Not fun.

this is a good reminder to ALWAYS read the labels. Before diving in, of course. And if someone says its gluten-free, ask to see the package, or a list of ingredients, or something. If they can't produce that, then I'd decline, just to be safe.

As for what you can do, you mostly just have to ride it out. I take ginger for nausea, pain killers if its really bad. Drink lots of water. Eat safe foods that are easy on your system.

I hope you get better soon!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Sorry, kiddo. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do when this happens.

Don't try to force yourself to vomit. You'll just rip up your GI tract with stomach acid.

Try not to get too upset about it as that is not going to help at all except give you wrinkles  (who needs those, right??)

When I get "hit" accidentally, I drink a lot of water,take digestive enzymes for a few days,

take extra probiotics (3-4 doses throughout the day to help with the gastrenteritis that develops)

and just wait for it to pass. Literally.

Rest, be good to yourself.

If you tolerate dairy, have a bowl of ice cream.

This does not change anything, it just tastes good and makes me feel happy.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Juanitahoy

Juanitahoy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Thanks so much! They were a goldfish type cracker. I am usually so good about checking labels and things, but they were in a boxed lunch type thing, and I thought the outside of the box said it was gluten free. It turns out a different "flavor" lunch was the gluten free one, and only some items in this one were gluten-free. Oh well...

The most frustrating thing was that my doctor had no advice. I also wa at a hospital when it happened so I walked into a "celiac clinic" and asked for some advice as a favor. They also had nothing to tell me. Same from a pharmacist when I went to get some pepto and gas x.

Then I went into a whole foods. I talked to two people, both of which had gluten issues! Finally I wasn't alone. I picked up some probiotics and some gluten-ease 2. Not convinced the gluten ease will work, but I figure it's worth a shot. They also suggested a neem cream since I have an issue with breakouts/dh? when glutened.

I will spend the rest if the day relaxing and drinking lots and lots of water. If I wasn't having some pain/ stomach upset the ice cream would hit the spot! For now I think I'll avoid food.

Although my body is still unhappy, my mind is eased. Thank you all for your support! *hugs* =)

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hon, the docs (especially thos who do not have celiac themselves) have no idea what to tell you to do because there is nothing that can be done.

The only peeps who have any suggestions are peeps like us. :)

If the gluten ease tabs are the ones made by Enzymedica, there are people who think it helps "digest" the gluten faster and resolve the symptoms

more quickly. I tried them and I am not sure, to be honest if it helped or not. The last time I got hit, I was on vacation and I think I was so happy and relaxed, the hit wasn't so bad. I used to have symptoms for weeks, but last time, it passed within a few days.

Just chock it up to "sh*t happens" and do not beat yourself up over it, okay? Everyone makes mistakes.

Hang in there  ((hugs)) and snuggle in and watch a movie.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

L-glutamine can help with muscles healing, and so it also helps in our muscular small intestine. You might want to try that supplement - it's often around the protein powders in health food stores.

Don't worry, you won't be back to square one. There might be some injury, but after 18 months gluten-free your inflammation levels are probably waaay down and you'll heal faster this time around.  Hang in there. I hope you don't feel too poorly.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

The last time I got glutened, I found that charcoal capsules helped a GREAT

deal. I guess it makes sense, they give you charcoal for an overdose, so it

oughta help with the gluten poison I figure! Might also try licorice tea and

anything minty for the stomach upset. Most find these to be soothing to an

upset stomach.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

The last time I got glutened, I found that charcoal capsules helped a GREAT
deal. I guess it makes sense, they give you charcoal for an overdose, so it
oughta help with the gluten poison I figure! Might also try licorice tea and
anything minty for the stomach upset. Most find these to be soothing to an
upset stomach.

Listen to Bunnie...if and be sure you accidentally ingested gluten - add charcoal and rest along with drinking lots of water - eating what you are able - more water and rest until it passes.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Just be careful with the charcoal tabs. Not too many of them at once because they absorb everything in the gut, even the nutrients you want to keep.  IMHO

When I used them, I took 2 - 3X a day. 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

As with anything, following the directions on the package is most certainly advised!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#11 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Great ideas.  Thanks.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

As with anything, following the directions on the package is most certainly advised!

Of course, but some folks on here think "more is better" when it comes to supplements and have overdone them and wondered why they felt like crapola. There are no directions for "treating a gluten hit"  :) so, I was just suggesting she be careful.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

You can also try Pepto Bismol or anything muscilaagenous that will coat the gut.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

.......... anything muscilaagenous that will coat the gut.

....... before celiac, did you ever expect to find yourself using that phrase in conversation? nope, me neither.  :lol:

( and auto-correct check mangled it, I see) Dang computers.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

I found only two things that would help coat my gut:  oodles of yogurt to soothe and comfort it :)  and neat scotch to shock the h*ll out of it and beat it into submission :ph34r:  (but not both at the same time!)

:lol:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009