27 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I found only two things that would help coat my gut:  oodles of yogurt to soothe and comfort it :)  and neat scotch to shock the h*ll out of it and beat it into submission :ph34r:  (but not both at the same time!)

:lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

....... before celiac, did you ever expect to find yourself using that phrase in conversation? nope, me neither.  :lol:

( and auto-correct check mangled it, I see) Dang computers.

Ha Ha, not really IH.  :)  Then again, I never would of thot I would spend a lot of time on a site where people discuss their bowel habits every day either.  Such an interesting and inspirational subject after all! :D

I found only two things that would help coat my gut:  oodles of yogurt to soothe and comfort it :)  and neat scotch to shock the h*ll out of it and beat it into submission :ph34r:  (but not both at the same time!)

OK, now Shroomie, you could try some Marshmallow root or some okra some time instead.  Marshmallow and Scotch straight up might work.  If you put enough Marshmallow or psyilliujm husks in your Scotch you could prolly make Scotch jello from them.  Sounds very soothing to me! :)

Or Vodka could work too.  Tater vodka of course.  Certainly can help with falling asleep at night if you are hurting, that's for sure.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Or Vodka could work too.  Tater vodka of course.  Certainly can help with falling asleep at night if you are hurting, that's for sure.

Nope, don't "do" taters.  Not even in wodka, just to be sure.  Go for the burn with scotch :D   Nothing like a good sear to seal in the juices.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

I never would of thot I would spend a lot of time on a site where people discuss their bowel habits every day either. 

it's a bum job, but someone's gotta do it. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

With any luck, juanitahoy is feeling better today and seeing that humor also heals. ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#21 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thank you all for your posts and your willingness to help.  It not only helps the person who started the thread, but those who go searching for answers- even for for years to come.

I just ate the ONLY bloody Altoid that isn't gluten free (just my luck) and was looking for ways to combat the reaction knowing that it's coming.  Maybe the wheat maltodextrin won't affect me so badly, but I have my doubts knowing that I glutened myself from hand sanitizer.  Looked into the charcoal capsules, but the drug store didn't have any.  I'll try that next time.  :wacko:

It's so good to be able to vent to people who truly understand.  My friend said "and that little thing will cause a reaction?"  I was thinking "OMG it was huge!!!"  It would be good to know how you're feeling today, Juanitahoy.  Hope that it's all good.

Shellie

#22 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

With any luck, juanitahoy is feeling better today and seeing that humor also heals. ;)

Thanks for reminding me, IH, that not everyone might be in the mood for my brand of humor.  I hope you are feeling better juanitahoy :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for reminding me, IH, that not everyone might be in the mood for my brand of humor.  I hope you are feeling better juanitahoy :)

No, honestly,  I meant it in a good way ---and I hope she is okay with MY sense of humor, too :D .  Us "veterans" know that humor is healing :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#24 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

No, honestly,  I meant it in a good way --- :)

And I did too :rolleyes:  -- I sometimes get a little over exuberant :P

Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

And I did too :rolleyes:  -- I sometimes get a little over exuberant :P

and I don't??  :lol:  peas/pod

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 Juanitahoy

Juanitahoy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

You guys are awesome! Thank you all for the great advice and humor! I loved it all!

I've been ok actually. A lot better than I expected. Not sure what curbed the effects, but I definitely wasn't slammed as hard as I expected with a reaction. Of course things are a little "off", but I guess I'm sort of used to that.

How interesting about the l-glutamine and charcoal! I will have to pick those up "to add to my arsenal" as my mom says. Also interesting idea about scotch! Mom did suggest a hot toddy... ( warm water or tea with lemon and scotch) and I laughed at her. Now thinking about it, that might be a great idea!

Thank you again, and I'm so glad that others seem to have found this useful to start their own "arsenals" for combating a reaction!

#27 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

whisky, water, lemon. Best drink for the stomach, I've found. Bartenders usually look at me funny when I order it, but I know what I want, dang it!

I'm going to check into these charcoal capsules too. Is the idea that they soak up the crap that's trying to hurt you?

I've tried nettle tea a few times, but don't feel it makes a difference.

Anyway, glad you're not feeling too cruddy, Juanitaboy, and get better soon!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm going to check into these charcoal capsules too. Is the idea that they soak up the crap that's trying to hurt you?

I cut and pasted this for you: :)

Activated charcoal can  absorb digestive gases, especially in the lower intestine, and thus help to relieve flatulence and gas pains. Activated charcoal may help to lower cholesterol by interfering with enterohepatic circulation of bile acids. It has been found to lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol.

Activated Charcoal is mostly used for:

• Adsorbing digestive gases
  • Detoxification
  • Bloating and gas
  • Malodorous gas
  • High cholesterol

Activated Charcoal is known to be one of the finest natural absorbent agents and it is most commonly used to absorb digestive gas. Each particle in Activated Charcoal contains many small chambers and cavities that bind-up unwanted material or gas.

What is Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal is type of carbon made from wood, vegetables and other materials. It looks like a fine black powder. Activated charcoal is believed to have a large absorptive capacity, making it able to bind with unwanted substances and toxins in the gut.

These are the kind I buy:  Country Life (certified G F)

http://www.healthsup...ed-charcoal.htm

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: