7 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Without thinking, I grabbed a big spoonful of cottage cheese from company cafeteria.  Has anyone heard of a cottage cheese with gluten?  I'd love to eat it (already ate a spoonful before I remembered "that was dumb")  I've only been gluten-free (for celiac) about six weeks.  i think it's 1% or 2% if that helps.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Never seen gluten in plain cottage cheese. Wouldn't eat off a cafeteria/ salad bar. That is likely to be cc'd when people drop their roll and pick it out or use the spoon from the croutons in something else, etc. it would be safest for you, especially in the first few months, to bring your own food. After you have had time to heal, you can take the chance of eating there.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks - just to follow up, the cottage cheese is quite far from everything else, so it seemed highly unlikely, but yes - you are right.  The cafeteria manager called me back and read me the ingredients, so I feel a bit better about it. Funny, I only got it to supplement the lunch I did bring!

I'm trying to set up a meeting with our cafeteria management to see what we can do to get me (and possibly others) some options.

Thanks again.

#4 Night_Owl

Night_Owl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

The only cottage cheese without additives in my store is Friendship.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

The only cottage cheese without additives in my store is Friendship.

There are many, many possible additives. Most are gluten-free. I have never seen cottage cheese that had added gluten. CC is the concern here from the salad bar.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Elfunk11

Elfunk11

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

I am a college student and have to eat from the buffet and salad bar in the dining halls. Does this mean that I will constantly be exposed to gluten regardless of what I eat?

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

I am a college student and have to eat from the buffet and salad bar in the dining halls. Does this mean that I will constantly be exposed to gluten regardless of what I eat?

Probably.

You need to take your diagnosis ( get a note from your doctor) and go to the Student Disabilities office and insist on safe food if you must pay for it.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#8 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Wow Being new to Gluten Free it seems I have some homework to do ....

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: