This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Fast Does Gluten Affect Behavior?

RochelleJanine

RochelleJanine Newbie

I have a 9 year old son who has some behavior issues.  We are currently in the process of having him tested for adhd.  While doing research on adhd I have found links to gluten intolerance.  We did a one week gluten free trial and found he seemed  calmer and easier to reason with.  After the week trial we allowed him to have his regular breakfast cereal.  Immediatly after eating he started acting up and running around.  A VERY noticable change in behaviour.  It was not the sugar in the cereal as throughout the week he had ate a gluten free cereal with a similar amount of sugar.  I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not.  He again is harder to reason with and his behaviour is not as good as the week gluten free.  Does gluten have an immediate effect on behaviour?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I think everyone is different, but for me, the grumpiness is pretty much instantaneous. Even though the last time I got glutened I didn't realize it at first, I got really grouchy right away and couldn't firure out why until the nausea hit a couple of hours later.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

It's different for everyone. If you can rule sugar out, and what's left is gluten...well, if the shoe fits...

I would note if the sugar source was honey, sugar cane, beet, etc. some people are sensitive to sugar but not honey, for example.

RochelleJanine Newbie

Thanks for the replies.  We have a doctors appointment next week so I will see what the dr says.  I don't really notice any intestinal time problems with him.  He has never been very regular with his bm's.  He also has had lot's of ear infections and his tooth enamel is damaged.  The dentist had attributed the damaged enamel to the ear infections and fever.  Now I'm wondering if all of that is linked to gluten!

• 8 months later...
cherries Newbie

Everyone is different mine normally about half an hour.

• 1 year later...
ch88 Collaborator

I get strong anxiety within about five minutes which gets worse after that. The first 24 hours are the worst, but I feel effects for about a week after a large exposure. 

• 3 months later...
LG Newbie

Noticed that my son has more difficulty regulating his emotions during this time.  We gave up gluten, it did not fully solve the problem but firmly believe it has helped. For a parent of a child with emotional regulation problems, every little bit is good. Note: we also gave up dairy and meat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2lonedogs Newbie

Response is pretty quick... Usually only a few minutes for some symptoms but I'll notice gas and bloating a while later and muscle tightness and joint paint even later. 

Archived