220 replies to this topic

#1 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

whatcha planting!!??  hubby has our little plot (ok, half the backyard.....!)  all tilled up and we have begun the Great Planting.  have some herbs (german thyme, lemon thyme, rosemary, sage, chives) who have survived the winter and we added 4 kinds of basil ('regular', thai, purple, and boxwood) lavender (never tried  before) cilantro, parsley, marjoram.

napa cabbage, green cabbage, red cabbage, stringless green beans, picklebush cukes, i'm going to plant lettuce in the same row as the beans to see if it will work as a cover crop.  and hubs has to have his beets....  going to get 'maters and peppers.  oh, and i found some seeds for cukes that look like lemons.  heirloom wierdness...

here is what i cleared out that grew all winter:

Attached File  imagejpeg_2 (32).jpg   108.43KB   0 downloads

they are GREEN ONIONS aka scallions.  i left the paring knife beside them as a point of reference lolz eek! monsters !

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Spring? What is this 'spring' you speak of? All i've seen is snow... <_<

No garden for me, but i do get to help take care of the flowering plants.

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Cold and snowy here too.  In fact, it's snowing right this minute.

When it does finally warm up, I am going to plant pots of herbs and some tomatoes and some green onions...Not sure what else yet.  Flowering plants for sure.

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'd like to plant some pork chops and cheeseburgers. Anyone know where I can get seeds for them, or would it be better to get some young plants from a greenhouse?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Outside it is around 20 degrees I have a list of things planted in Plastic bins, (also known as little greenhouses) in South windows. 

Cabbage, broccoli, peppers, onions, swiss chard, collard greens, marigolds, Romaine, Iceburg lettuce, celery, Okra, tomatoes, brussel sprouts.  I plan on putting in melons, squash, peas, green beans, , and potatoes outside in late May or early June.

I think I will try a few new things this year, Sunberries (whatever they are.)

Jerusalem artichokes, Bok choy, and turnips.  How about artichokes? 

Hopefully, the asparagus will come up by itself when the snow melts!  Maybe I better think of more herbs then the peppermint and creeping thyme I have?

It all sounds good.

Diana

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'd like to plant some pork chops and cheeseburgers. Anyone know where I can get seeds for them, or would it be better to get some young plants from a greenhouse?

:lol:  :lol: good one, Barty!

We do not start our gardens in NY until much later, but we will  do the herbs (basil, thyme, cilantro, rosemary, etc.)

and the toms (big boy, beefsteak, plum and cherry), swiss chard and lettuces.

We're not doing much more this year because (shhh! not everyone knows this yet but..) we're moving to Florida later this year.

I just donated out winter coats, boots, and hats to the Salvation Army. Kept one heavy coat for when we have to come North. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 LolaB

LolaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

I cannot wait to get outside in the garden!  I find it very therapeutic and enjoy it very much.   We are going to do a veggie garden and I am so excited, this weather has been so weird hot then cold, rain then snow .... blah! ........... Love the birds and the Robins are crazy! .....

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

I just donated out winter coats, boots, and hats to the Salvation Army. Kept one heavy coat for when we have to come North. 

Florida does have its cold moments.

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

I love love love tomatoes. They apparently do not love me back. I learned this days after planting 7 heirloom yellow tomato plants. :( I will grow them anyway and eat what I find is tolerable for me and give the rest away. Our first three poked their first little leaves up today! They still spend their nights indoors though, it is far too chilly overnight for our new babies to be out.

For our ground plot, which is far too small, we will plant corn which we start next month and melons.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

I love love love tomatoes. They apparently do not love me back. I learned this days after planting 7 heirloom yellow tomato plants. :( I will grow them anyway and eat what I find is tolerable for me and give the rest away. Our first three poked their first little leaves up today! They still spend their nights indoors though, it is far too chilly overnight for our new babies to be out.

For our ground plot, which is far too small, we will plant corn which we start next month and melons.

I miss homemade spaghetti sauce. I was never one for them raw, but a pot of sauce simmering all afternoon? So good.

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

I didn't have a single cherry tomato make it into the house last summer. Every last one got eaten like candy while I watered the plants. My Grammy will peel a tomato and slice it and just serve it with lunch that way. I learned to enjoy my veggies simply, there isn't much homemade tomato sauce making that goes on on my family farm.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#12 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Hi all - late to this party and sadly late for my garden plans this year - we are well into spring here - hey don't judge - I would rather be in snow ;)

Did manage to get herbs and three heirloom tomatoes planted on the patio - am looking forward to trying all these little green, yellow and red babies one day soon.

Ps...addie..with you...my Nana had us pick green beans - she would turn back to the house and rebel that I was...one for lisa....one for the basket - fresh - truly fresh needs nothing added.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

I miss homemade spaghetti sauce. I was never one for them raw, but a pot of sauce simmering all afternoon? So good.

Thank you Shadow...I. Can. Smell. It. Already.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hi all - late to this party and sadly late for my garden plans this year - we are well into spring here - hey don't judge - I would rather be in snow ;)

Did manage to get herbs and three heirloom tomatoes planted on the patio - am looking forward to trying all these little green, yellow and red babies one day soon.

Ps...addie..with you...my Nana had us pick green beans - she would turn back to the house and rebel that I was...one for lisa....one for the basket - fresh - truly fresh needs nothing added.

HAH! I did this with the peas. I wouldn't touch the things cooked as a child. Frankly, I still prefer a cold pea salad to cooking them which should be a crime. So funny that we waited for them to turn their backs. As if we were sneaking and they didn't know we were pilfering their gardens. It is amazing the things you can trick a child into when you let them get away with thinking they are being just a little bad. Like eating vegetables.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

I was actually being a bad girl....you had to know Nana - my Sis - yep the same one that I sneak cauliflower into her Mac and Cheez was looking at me like I was alien while downing fresh peas and grn beans - she may have been right - I am an odd duck.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: