220 replies to this topic

#166 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

First all that rain and now it's hot and muggy with thunderstorms.  Plus, we've got mosquitoes now too.  We didn't get them till pretty late.  I still haven't seen a Japanese beetle yet but I'm sure I will soon.  I haven't even started my beans yet.  I need to get busy.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#167 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

Oh yay...triple digit temps in June -- sorry -- I melt.

Done bitching...here is the question bouncing around my head this morning -- I will ask google...but wonder if any of you have experience....is there any gray water that can be used for gardens?  Seems like laundry and dish soap would not be a good thing to add to my vegies...but hell just my patio herb garden has increase our water bill!  sure wish they'd figure out that whole desalination deal -- well they know how...now to make it affordable :) 

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#168 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

it seems I could use our washing machine grey water....but not our bathroom tub as I use loads of epsom salt which would kill more poor little veggie plants....

going to talk to the hubs about hooking our washer up to my lawn (soon to be veggie garden).

....... for those of you that live elsewhere -- Southern California is a desert -- most of our water gets transported from elsewhere and those sources are beyond stretched -- thus our water cost has increased exponentially over the past twenty years.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#169 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

First all that rain and now it's hot and muggy with thunderstorms.  Plus, we've got mosquitoes now too.  We didn't get them till pretty late.  I still haven't seen a Japanese beetle yet but I'm sure I will soon.  I haven't even started my beans yet.  I need to get busy.

oh yes, it's Japanese beetle time again !  UGH!

Time to get the traps out. My dad used to hand pick those things off his flowers and tomatoes....and drop them in a small jar of gasoline.

He'd have been thrilled to see the traps they make now. Pretty effective, but not foolproof. Better than losing everything to those chewers!!

Our tomato plants and herbs are flourishing now that the rain has stopped and the sun has come out.

Wish we could ship some of this rain and excess water to places that need it :(

Ski, I hate to tell you what reclaimed water they use for gardens in Florida, but I will tell you this....it smells "lovely"..... blech.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#170 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

oh yes, it's Japanese beetle time again !  UGH!

Time to get the traps out. My dad used to hand pick those things off his flowers and tomatoes....and drop them in a small jar of gasoline.

He'd have been thrilled to see the traps they make now. Pretty effective, but not foolproof. Better than losing everything to those chewers!!

Our tomato plants and herbs are flourishing now that the rain has stopped and the sun has come out.

Wish we could ship some of this rain and excess water to places that need it :(

Ski, I hate to tell you what reclaimed water they use for gardens in Florida, but I will tell you this....it smells "lovely"..... blech.

well aware of what reclaimed water they are (you will be) using....California - well the entire southwest needs to invest in all water reclamation activities -- even the not so palatable ones -- we are flushing poop with liquid gold -- oh sorry if those reading along haven't had their 'wheaties' (haven't used that phrase in a long time -- lol)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#171 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

wheaties ha ha ...

hey? what are those? :huh:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#172 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

We have a bit of a water shortage because there is too much water, the water treatment plant is having a tough time because of all the silt and mud in the river... Luckily we don'e need to water gardens.  LOL

I don't believe we get Japanes beetles up here. Too cold maybe?

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#173 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

There was talk here recently about one of the local cities looking into spending the millions it would take to set up a system for reclamation. We're in the desert here too, lawns and gardens get watered. It still boggles my mind that people waste perfectly good water on freaking GRASS when we know damn well we're going to be staring a water shortage in the face in a few months. Every year the same thing, people with sense begging morons to let their grass grow longer so it'll have deeper roots. Still, I see people with sprinklers running on cloudy days like yesterday when we get a spritz of rain over grass that is hardly 2 inches tall. I want to throttle those morons.

I do have to say that I talked to my husband a week or two ago. While I got sicker and sicker I told him that I would never want to own a home that had "land" around it. I wanted a condo. Now though I'm far too addicted to having my garden. Still, the lawn thing bothers me. I told him what I would do to his mother's house if it were up to me and he completely agreed. It would involved digging up every last blade of grass on the property. No point in owning a lawnmower when you can garden and have edible landscaping.

My tomatoes have little baby tomatoes on them, just the size of my pinkie nail. They're so cute! I need to figure out what else to do with all this mint. My husband keeps bugging the heck out of me to bake him things. As if I need more things to bake.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#174 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

oh, we've all done that at least once!!post dinner here instead of there.....it's because we seem to be the same crowd on both threads  :D

Lisa beat me to it. I was going to say chili or casseroles. Makes enough for a few meals.

when i leave mine alone, he cooks all kinds of stuff i hate to eat.  pork fat stew, gizzards with lizzards, innards with brain cheese, you know.  and he grows a beard.  and takes things apart.  one time i went up to my sister's and when i came home, the dining room ceiling was gone.......  true story......   :huh:

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#175 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

My tomatoes have little baby tomatoes on them, just the size of my pinkie nail. They're so cute! I need to figure out what else to do with all this mint. My husband keeps bugging the heck out of me to bake him things. As if I need more things to bake.

awesomme!!  my 'maters' are growing, but still green - i know when they're going to turn, the day before i go away on vacation  :angry:  jerks...

i picked green beans and i have 100,000 - actually probably 10 lbs - nice and straight and stringless - i am pickling them when he gets home.  i told him i can do it by myself now but he looked so bummed i said i would wait  :wub:   he likes to do it but must keep his manly man status.   

hey, addy, don't you have the pineapple mint?  that would be yumz muddled into a mojito-type summer drink :)  or in a fruity-ish salad type thing.  or on salmon  <mmmm  :)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#176 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

I do have pineapple mint but I got it later than the others so it isn't a beastly thing yet like the other two. I also don't drink, which I'm sure leaves some thinking it is wasted! :lol: I'm thinking it'll make wonderful melon salads all summer. Right now I'm thinking that the most appealing thing to do with that freaking BUSH of strawberry mint out there is to make some mint chocolate chip ice cream. I told my husband and he said "that's a funny way of saying fudge." <_<

My husband always helps make pickles every summer. I don't think he would find it appealing for me to do it alone, even though I probably could now too. I think its great that we got our guys so addicted to being our kitchen helpers.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#177 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

when i leave mine alone, he cooks all kinds of stuff i hate to eat.  pork fat stew, gizzards with lizzards, innards with brain cheese, you know.  and he grows a beard.  and takes things apart.  one time i went up to my sister's and when i came home, the dining room ceiling was gone.......  true story......   :huh:

Mine is NOT allowed to start any new projects when I am not here..... un- uh. Nope.

Absolutely not .  <_< The End.

The bright yellow primrose are open now and they are pretty spectacular next to the purple rock cress.

The hub's blueberry bushes...are full of berries this year (that took forever) and they are starting to turn blue. :)

I have pineapple mint and chocolate mint. and  my PT Elaine has tons of orange mint & she said I could have all I want.

So, looks like I'll be thinking of more ways to use mint !!! (besides beverages --those I know LOL)

My man would be very offended if I made the pickles and corn relish without him even though I could do it myself
now, too  but frankly, it is more of a two-person job, so I would be a sillypants to not include him in the tedious work  er, fun.

Not sure if any of you like corn relish,  but I have a terrific recipe for it that everyone seems to love, if you are interested.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#178 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Mine is NOT allowed to start any new projects when I am not here..... un- uh. Nope.

Absolutely not .  <_< The End.

yeah, i used to not have that rule.  it's like the warning on the windex bottle:  "do not spray directly into eyes"  lolz   :o

i think it's so funny y'all's husbands like to help with the canning!  i thought it was just mine, and because he used to help his grammy and his aunt put stuff up.  (he also knows how to sew and tries to pretend he doesn't - but when he absent-mindedly tells me don't forget to clip the corners or to stay stitch the collar and sleeves, he gives it away - goob)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#179 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

yeah, i used to not have that rule.  it's like the warning on the windex bottle:  "do not spray directly into eyes"  lolz   :o

i think it's so funny y'all's husbands like to help with the canning!  i thought it was just mine, and because he used to help his grammy and his aunt put stuff up.  (he also knows how to sew and tries to pretend he doesn't - but when he absent-mindedly tells me don't forget to clip the corners or to stay stitch the collar and sleeves, he gives it away - goob)

lol...mine taught me how to can so we could can his deep sea catches together ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#180 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

I hand pick my Japanese beetles - yuck!  I have heard that the traps don't work so I haven't tried them.  http://www3.ag.purdu...eseBeetles.aspx

Gardening is such a battle with pests.  I get deer eating everything that I don't enclose with mesh.  There was one hanging out in the neighbors yard as I worked the other day.  Now I see a chipmunk hole in the middle of my stone patio.  There was a foot of tamped gravel that the beasties had to dig through.  It's going to be a big pain to repair.  I plugged it up with a rock do now they are digging elsewhere - hopefully not on my property, but that is dreaming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: