220 replies to this topic

#196 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Adelaide, that mint is wonderful in a hot bath with Epsom salts if you ever get a chance to take a soak.

We had a really nice pineapple today that took 2 years from start  to harvest!  Lemon grass has gone crazy.  Have sage, mint, rosemary and chives. 

I used to be an avid gardener, but can't tolerate the sun with the darned Discoid Lupus.  I sneak out at night to water my herbs. 

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#197 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

So I know not everyone is super awesome at growing stuff. I killed my fair share of things before I got the hang of it. I found this incredibly cool thing today that would be so awesome for people who don't have time, don't know what to grow, or just aren't good at it. Something called a Nourishmat. http://nourishmat.com/kickstarter/

Its a little pricy the first time, but you just refill it with the seed balls every year, and the seeds come as a ball with all the nutrients and everything they need to grown. You hook the thing up to a hose so and just turn it on twice a day and it tells you for how long. It is 100% idiot proof. Everything is labeled, you won't ever stare at a plant going omg... what was that thing? (Not that I've ever done that. :ph34r:) It just looks incredibly cool. Heck, I may even want one!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#198 GFreeSweetie

GFreeSweetie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

This was our first year attempting to garden, and much to our surprise, it's worked out VERY well! The only problems were 1) winter lingered till May!! and 2) I think we over-planted the tiny space we allotted ourselves. I'm pretty sure our green beans, cucumbers, and peas would be doing much better if they had more space for roots and maybe some kind of mesh or wire to cling to. They're pretty crowded at this point..

Otherwise, our lettuce did awesome, and our tomatoes are plentiful! Beefsteak, roma & cherry! We even have some carrots and bitty peppers on their way..!

Gluten Free Indulgent

#199 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

. Everything is labeled, you won't ever stare at a plant going omg... what was that thing? (Not that I've ever done that. :ph34r:)

HAHAHA never!!  billy 'weeded' my tarragon.  now it's (tarra) gone :(  the only thing i went all over town to find the right kind.  damb. it. -  the weeds are insane in the herb section.  

This was our first year attempting to garden, and much to our surprise, it's worked out VERY well! The only problems were 1) winter lingered till May!! and 2) I think we over-planted the tiny space we allotted ourselves. I'm pretty sure our green beans, cucumbers, and peas would be doing much better if they had more space for roots and maybe some kind of mesh or wire to cling to. They're pretty crowded at this point..

Otherwise, our lettuce did awesome, and our tomatoes are plentiful! Beefsteak, roma & cherry! We even have some carrots and bitty peppers on their way..!

you can 'co-plant' to maximize your space.  ski-lisa had posted such a plan earlier in this thread - i'll see if i can find it.  i was sort of doing the 'cover crop' thing, to choke out the weeds with, say, lettuce or arugula, but i planted them too close to the other row, and now, if they are still alive, they surely have stockholm syndrome lolz because they have been taken over   :o

i love to garden - i'm glad your first attempt went so well!  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#200 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

J's Tomatoes have blight. He is very sad. :( Poor guy--worked so hard on them. Babies them. 

Every year, we have so many we have to give them away to the neighbors, the local nursing home kitchen staff , the church food pantry that serves daily lunches to the homeless, even Sherry's cafe. I mean, we are blessed with abundance.

Same with the apple trees--although we may not be around to see those this year (okay, that made me a little sad typing that....) anyway....

Not this year. No toms. Nope. BUMMER. 

Meanwhile, the herbs are crazy big. Mega basil...not toms...no caprese salad...

have to hit up the local farms again. Theirs are de-lish!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#201 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

:(  aww,  poor j :(  tell him that's why you're moving - stoopit blight....  that's a bummer about the apples, too.  we used to go apple picking up in ny state, soooo  much fun, when we were kids we went with our parents and grandparents.  then when we had kids we took them.  something special about walking into one of their farm stands and all the apples are shiny and bagged up.  i was always fascinated by the apple washer/sorter machine <but i am amazed by mechanical things :)  

annnd now i want apple crisp!  youngest daughter's b-day is early november and she has always requested apple crisp (with vanilla custard sauce) in lieu of birthday cake.  (oh, there she is now, on the phone, telling me i am on speakerphone AFTER i say something i'm not supposed to know in front of her friend........  add to my to do list:  kill gabrielle.....  lolz)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#202 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

HAHAHA never!!  billy 'weeded' my tarragon.  now it's (tarra) gone :( 

*snicker*

annnd now i want apple crisp!  youngest daughter's b-day is early november and she has always requested apple crisp (with vanilla custard sauce) in lieu of birthday cake.  (oh, there she is now, on the phone, telling me i am on speakerphone AFTER i say something i'm not supposed to know in front of her friend........  add to my to do list:  kill gabrielle.....  lolz)

You know I live in the desert right? Perfect place for disposing of.... evidence. :lol:

And I'm sure that the local tomatoes will be positively delicious, even if they aren't from the back yard. You can still make caprese salad with tomatoes that other people grow. :P

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#203 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

well, i'm on my way out there, addy, to dispose of ..........

the mint!   :o

that's right, i have killed mint.  who knew it was even possible.....  it was behaving in it's pot and it was probably bored to death from not being able to take over other plants.  (actually, it rained for 4 straight days and then it didn't rain for 4 straight days.  4+4=dead.  i did the math...........)   :(

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#204 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

You killed a mint plant?!?! You will be revered and feared by all plant-kind as the goddess of death now.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#205 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Holycraponacracker!!. NO ONE has EVER KILLED a mint PLANT!!.... In the history of mint plants...I mean it.

This is a first. THOSE THINGS SURVIVED the ICE age and they will survive ARMAGEDDON. 

oh, the humanity.... :o

I am speechless (and THAT, in  itself , is a near-impossibility).

:lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#206 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

This is a first. THOSE THINGS SURVIVED the ICE age and they will survive ARMAGEDDON. 

oh, the humanity.... :o

:lol:

i know, right??!!  meanwhile, cockroaches are nudging each other and pointing at me in fear, thinking, "if she can kill mint, she might be worse than a nuclear war...."   :P   spreading a little 'arlene awareness' amongst themselves, making safety posters.......

goddess of death.  has a nice ring to it  ^_^

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#207 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Brilliant idea from Lisa. It's spring again!

I was out yesterday (or maybe the day before) and bought purple string bean seeds. Today we ordered ruby queen corn and purple dragon carrot seeds. I'll be checking my mint to see how it weathered the winter next week. And I'll be looking to buy some chocolate mint to add to my collection.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#208 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Lookie there...I ask and poof it appeared...thanks Addie!

I still have my big plans that took a back burner last spring/summer to Mom's and then my health...but I am still dreaming and if things keep on the right path healthwise -- I am ready to flip my yard into something Shroomie would be proud of.  If I don't get that far...my patio herbs will be very happy this year ;)

Happy Spring Gardening Peeps  :wub:

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#209 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Just came in from watering my tomatoes, cabbage, peas, spinach, Brussels sprouts and lettuce. I did not plant a garden in the fall because of my illness. Another sign of recovery! The tomatoes are volunteers from last year, but with our extremely mild winter, they are thriving. They are in awkward spots, but who cares? The garden was planted a little haphazardly but I had help from exuberant youngsters. Now, if I could only get them to pull weeds!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#210 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

i usually have a few things that survive through the winter - a giant rosemary bush, sage, thyme <supposed to die every year but i have had one or three that survives longer than that.  not this year - mean, old man winter kilt e'erything.  i have one tiny parsley plant (?)  (random) and the strawberries are still alive under all the dead ones.. otherwise, the weeds say, "hi."  time for mr rototiller to rototill.  ugh, last year he tilled up baby bunnies...  :(  i hope that mama rabbit is smarter this year.

anyways, i am itching to get me some plants.  maybe the kid and i will start some seeds  :)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: