220 replies to this topic

#16 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

I was always chastised at the dinner table for not eating my boiled-to-a-slop veggies, while I had secretly been out all day sneaking the baby veg out of the garden (I wasn't even old enough then to call it thinning the rows :D )

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

My Mom overcooked everything - when I left home at 18 and taught myself to cook - I was amazed that everything tasted good!

Still love fresh peas off the vine - sure hope I get them back this year. My "garden" will be growing heirloom peas and tomatoes for trialing - can't wait :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Outside it is around 20 degrees I have a list of things planted in Plastic bins, (also known as little greenhouses) in South windows. 

Cabbage, broccoli, peppers, onions, swiss chard, collard greens, marigolds, Romaine, Iceburg lettuce, celery, Okra, tomatoes, brussel sprouts.  I plan on putting in melons, squash, peas, green beans, , and potatoes outside in late May or early June.

I think I will try a few new things this year, Sunberries (whatever they are.)

Jerusalem artichokes, Bok choy, and turnips.  How about artichokes? 

Hopefully, the asparagus will come up by itself when the snow melts!  Maybe I better think of more herbs then the peppermint and creeping thyme I have?

It all sounds good.

Diana

i have an artichoke plant that made it through the winter!  i am so excited, because i was reading that it should produce a 'flower' <aka artichoke this season!  woohooo!  i had 2 plants to begin with, but the giant rosemary bush kind of choked (lolz) it by taking up too much space.  if you plant the artichoke plant leave ALOT of space because it needs to get pretty big.  lesson learned :)

I cannot wait to get outside in the garden!  I find it very therapeutic and enjoy it very much.   We are going to do a veggie garden and I am so excited, this weather has been so weird hot then cold, rain then snow .... blah! ........... Love the birds and the Robins are crazy! .....

i'm with you, lola!  nothing relaxes me more - in the summertime, i come downstairs, get me some tea, and walk straight out the back door to the garden.  i hope winter ends for EVERYBODY soon - i know i was glad to see this winter leave.  finally..!  hang in there, spring is coming to a town you are in.  and it is *awesommmmmmme!*

I didn't have a single cherry tomato make it into the house last summer. Every last one got eaten like candy while I watered the plants. My Grammy will peel a tomato and slice it and just serve it with lunch that way. I learned to enjoy my veggies simply, there isn't much homemade tomato sauce making that goes on on my family farm.

i was/am the same way.  taught my kids that 'poppin' tomatoes are best eaten directly off the vine.  working on the grandkids - i loooove just sliced tomatoes.  in the summertime, i will just serve that as a vege sprinkled with a little salt.  or simple bruschetta or caprese yumsss can't wait :)  or my favorite:  grilled cheese with tomato...............samwich............................;) 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#19 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

I can't eat tomatoes either BUT, I grow them anyway.  They are fun to grow and I just give them away.

Does anyone know which veggies I can plant in containers?

#20 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

when i was at lowe's they had a ton of plants that were marked as "good for container/patio planters" but to be honest i didn't really see what variety of plants they had.  tomatoes, i'm sure, but you are already growing them :) pretty sure you could grow peppers?  next time i go, haha probably today, i'll take a peek.

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#21 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hey Adalaide,

I'm a tomatoe lover too,! And with multiple food allergies, along with celiac disease, I was sad to find that tomatoes and I don't get along so well. BUT... because I'm stubborn, and do ridiculous amounts of research about everything...and always have... I decided to do a little research and try a few "tests" ...which I often do, to broaden my "safe food" list. After some trial and error I found that I can tolerate quite well actually.... Roma tomatoes ... IF ... I cut out the fleshy center and rinse out the seeds, essentially leaving the outer tomatoe without all the "reproductive seeds and juices". Its amazing what a difference that has made! I can eat them with no problem if I do this little bit of prep work. Just take out the seeds and rinse .... and I'm good to go. 

Nobody was more surprised or happier than I, that I could still eat tomatoes!  I put them on sandwiches, and in salads daily...with no more issues.  I haven't tried this with other varieties...although I'm planting 3 different varieties and will try this with them, as well to see if I can tolerate them. :) Hope this helps you!

~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

tTg IgA IgG borderline 1/25/11 Posted Image
HLA DQ2.5 Positive 2/11/11
Biopsy 4/11/11
100% Lactose/Dairy Free 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11
Life is SO MUCH better gluten-free!

#22 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

That is actually quite interesting and I know a few people have tomato issues and may find that quite helpful. Sadly, my issue is not one that I can address with anything but avoidance at the moment. Until my condition is well under control, tomatoes and I can simply not be friends. I guess I am fortunate that none of my issues are allergies and once things are better I just have to find a comfort level for myself.

At this point though, I am counting down the two weeks until we start planting corn! And, there is nothing in the world stopping me from eating enough melons to turn into one. We saved seeds last year from an Israeli melon. It was so good! I'm thinking maybe some yellow watermelon and cantaloupe too, and we'll just pick up those starter plants down at the garden store.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

Florida does have its cold moments.

True, but those moments will not require the arsenal of parkas, boots, scarves, mittens, gloves, heavy sweaters, long johns and hats we own. :D 

One coat will suffice.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

. Until my condition is well under control, tomatoes and I can simply not be friends. I guess I am fortunate that none of my issues are allergies and once things are better I just have to find a comfort level for myself.

At this point though, I am counting down the two weeks until we start planting corn! And, there is nothing in the world stopping me from eating enough melons to turn into one. We saved seeds last year from an Israeli melon. It was so good! I'm thinking maybe some yellow watermelon and cantaloupe too, and we'll just pick up those starter plants down at the garden store.

Ditto on the toms.But we'll get them back.

I can't wait for the corn season here. July.

Ditto on the melons--all kinds. Love them! 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#25 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hey Adalaide,

I'm a tomatoe lover too,! And with multiple food allergies, along with celiac disease, I was sad to find that tomatoes and I don't get along so well. BUT... because I'm stubborn, and do ridiculous amounts of research about everything...and always have... I decided to do a little research and try a few "tests" ...which I often do, to broaden my "safe food" list. After some trial and error I found that I can tolerate quite well actually.... Roma tomatoes ... IF ... I cut out the fleshy center and rinse out the seeds, essentially leaving the outer tomatoe without all the "reproductive seeds and juices". Its amazing what a difference that has made! I can eat them with no problem if I do this little bit of prep work. Just take out the seeds and rinse .... and I'm good to go. 

Nobody was more surprised or happier than I, that I could still eat tomatoes!  I put them on sandwiches, and in salads daily...with no more issues.  I haven't tried this with other varieties...although I'm planting 3 different varieties and will try this with them, as well to see if I can tolerate them. :) Hope this helps you!

This is awesome -- I too cannot eat tomatoes -- trialing heirloom tomato was suggested to me and I did do a bit better than with regular tomato -- left them on my no-no list for awhile -- now growing three different heirloom plants -- I am excited just thinking about trialing them when they are ready -- now I will start by removing the seeds, etc....Thanks for the great tip!!!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#26 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Snowing heavily at this moment. WHY, WHY, WHY???????

Off to Croatia this week and will welcome the drastic change in weather.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Snowing heavily at this moment. WHY, WHY, WHY???????

Thank heavens you are emotionally stable. 

All that flippin; snow? oh man,  I'd have gone stark raving mad by now. :wacko:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thank heavens you are emotionally stable. 

All that flippin; snow? oh man,  I'd have gone stark raving mad by now. :wacko:

REDRUM

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

REDRUM

EXACTLY  :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

True, but those moments will not require the arsenal of parkas, boots, scarves, mittens, gloves, heavy sweaters, long johns and hats we own. :D

One coat will suffice.

indeed :)  i moved down here with all the winter stuff (snow pants!  lol!  and even ice skates) and promptly got rid of most of it.  now, all my clothes are made of tissue paper - i had to go north in december and my sister picked me up at the airport.  with a wool coat (and i needed it!  Brrrr!)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: