• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

I've got a lot of bills too, but mine are the kind you have to pay. :lol:

probably why i'm always so broke!  :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I've got a lot of bills too, but mine are the kind you have to pay. :lol:

:lol:

probably why i'm always so broke!   :D

:lol:  too many bills...........hahahaha 

oh man, we are so off topic about "gardening", but none of us seem to care! hahahahaha :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#48 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

I just walked through a blizzard... on may 1st.... a stupid blizzard... I couldn't see beyond about 15 or so feet ahead of myself.

Poor plants, I hope they don't go due to shock :(

#49 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Sorry, kiddo. :unsure:

There was a famous blizzard in May, 1977 that I recall very well. I am thinking I was about your age (I was in  college)

http://localweatherj...bbered-new.html

http://www.farmersal...orm-remembered/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#50 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Kitty grass has sprouted in two planters on the patio -- one happy kitty kat :)

& poppy buds are popping out of the top of the soil of the heirloom tomato shopping bag planters -- can't wait until the flowers bloom

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#51 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

We're getting a hard freeze tonight. Last week I was leaving my plants out overnight a little. Not so much now, it has been too chilly overnight and certainly tonight will be too cold for anything alive.

Fortunately things like tulips and daffodils seem not to mind and survived the last hard freeze intact so I'm sure they'll be just as beautiful tomorrow still.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#52 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

oh man, we are so off topic about "gardening", but none of us seem to care! hahahahaha :lol:

lolz - it's *my* thread I DO WHAT I WANT!  bwhahahahahaaaa!!!!

my napa cabbage 'bolted' yesterday - i have never tried it before but evidently it is less hardy to extreme temp changes than regular cabbage.  all the advice i have gotten said to pull them out and try again at a later time.  howly wowly wants the extra space for another  row of tomatoes so he is chanting "kill them!  kill them!"  so i cut out the center stem while he rolled his eyes in the back of his head lolz leave me alone - i.  am.  experimenting!  (he will probably get his way in the end - most things i have read say that once they bolt, they wilt and die....)

oh, and, hey!  i have strawberries, finally!  this is my second year attempt - last year i brought home 2 plants and my grandson took a shovel to one of them while we weren't looking so i kind of gave up last year.  

the suspense is killing me.................zzzzzzzzzzzzz.................  ;)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#53 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

Two Ron's...LMBO :D

I still just have crocuses...but it rained last night instead of snowed...that's something, right? Right?

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#54 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

It is warm again here. Our completely neurotic weather hopefully took its last wintery turn and it will stay spring now. I'm practically holding my breath until we can start planting corn.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#55 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Two Ron's...LBBO :D

I still just have crocuses...but it rained last night instead of snowed...that's something, right? Right?

right!   :D

Okay, everything is bursting open this week. It's been in the 70's for 3 days. whoohoo!

Daffodils, tulips, the maples, the lilacs, the magnolia I was told I'd never get to grow in this zone (and it's now 50 ft. tall and full of white flowers, so :P ) and my peonies are in need of cleaning out, Those are spectacular when they open. I bring big bunches of them inside for the fragrance.

I am going to have to learn an entirely different planting zone in 6 months.  40 years of knowledge my Dad passed on to me

when I was young will have to be adapted to a new zone....this should be fun! I may have to enlist Squirmy's help.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#56 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Lilacs are the best. Probably the only good thing about being married to my ex was the 3 lilac bushes in the yard, and absolutely nothing can compare to the smell.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#57 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

the magnolia I was told I'd never get to grow in this zone (and it's now 50 ft. tall and full of white flowers, so :P ) 

I am going to have to learn an entirely different planting zone in 6 months.  40 years of knowledge my Dad passed on to me

when I was young will have to be adapted to a new zone....this should be fun! I may have to enlist Squirmy's help.

if you are growing magnolias up there, i bow down to you!  (bows down)  that's impressive!  you must have a pretty good green thumb. i never had too much luck up north, not for lack of trying.  down here, God truly helps me.  still can't keep a houseplant alive....

even though it's warmer here, and we have a longer season, if it gets too dry during the summer, you have to really watch them.  you might have more humidity down there.  although it gets pretty humid here.  i think you and squirmy will do fine :)

Lilacs are the best. Probably the only good thing about being married to my ex was the 3 lilac bushes in the yard, and absolutely nothing can compare to the smell.

i wish i had better luck with them down here.   they grew like wildfire in nj - down here they stay puny.  and the flowers are little.  the last one i bought, i couldn't decide where to put it so i gave it away.  i do miss lilacs.  you are right, addy, love the smell of lilacs, nothing like it

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#58 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

My rhubarb is up. No buds on the irises or tuplips yet but there are some really pretty flowering weeds in my yard. (My yard is mostly weeds with a few blades of grass in between. Only people who water their lawns around here have real grass.)

Anybody know what kind of weeds they might be? They grow about 4 to 7 inches tall and the flowers are in clusters that look and smell like miniature lilacs.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#59 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

.  i think you and squirmy will do fine :)

er, Squirmy is "squirmingitch" on here and she is a native Floridian and a master gardener.  

I think maybe you thought I meant the hubs.

I have lots of nicknames for him, but that's not one of them. :lol:  

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#60 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

I'm late to this thread, but can I join in?  My Elizabeth (yellow) magnolia is blooming.  I planted it as a baby and now it's full size.  I also have lots of daffodils.  I'm in NY, but by lake Ontario so I'm in zone 6 and not 5 like most of the state.  

I planted peas and fava beans last fall and over wintered them under garden fleece.  The fava beans are flowering, but the peas haven't yet.  I've been eating radishes planted last fall too, but they started bolting recently as it warmed up and I had to harvest the whole lot and cook them up and freeze them.  I got 24 cups.  

Yesterday I harvested the larger leaves of my collards that I planted as transplants a few weeks ago.  My son cooked those into a delicious meal.  I think he is a better cook than I am.  I planted tomatoes already, but I've got garden fleece ready to cover them if necessary.  I've also got beets, spices and salad greens, and potatoes started.  I think I'll check on the beets today.  Some I started indoors and those ones might be ready.  If not, it'll be kale or kohl rabi tonight.

I started squashes and melons indoors and they are ready to go in the garden, but they are supposed to take the place of the peas after they finish and those are a lot later this year than they were last year.  Ack!

Meanwhile I am making a new bed for something called chufa nuts that I am trying this year.  I have lots of seedlings hardening to transplant starting tomorrow and I am still making the bed.  It's a race against time.  I hope that we like them so that it will be worth the effort.

After that the sweet potatoes need to go in.  I've been rooting those indoors and I have some mini sweet potatoes already started.  Do I harvest and eat those as I plant, or let them keep growing?  This is my first year doing this.

This spring is beautiful.  I also have a pick flowering quince next to a redbud that makes a nice combination.

All the best in your efforts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: