220 replies to this topic

#61 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

wow!  another northern magnolia tree!  i just asked my (trucker) husband if he ever saw *any* magnolia trees upstate - we both agreed we've never seen them north of virginia.  that is just impressive (or y'all have magic dirt lolz :D)

i think, of all the things we have grown, beets surprised me the most.  i have to be careful when we harvest them because as i am roasting them and peeling them, i eat every other one.  they are that sweet and delicious.  (and completely unnerving the next day if you get my drift....! )  easy to grow and so very good when they're fresh.  i put the greens into salads and whatnot.  my lettuce is going under the beans as a cover crop and so it won't bolt so easily from getting too much sun?  still working on that.  (IH <still adjusting a little, had no trouble up north growing all kinds of greens - down here i'm still learning)  

sweet potatoes!  we tried potatoes last year that actually lived.  the year before we put them next to the tomatoes which is a no-no i found out - so, they did absolutely nothing in 2011.  2012 we left them in until we tilled last month (we kept checking them and they were still reaallllly small) we dug them up and they were not even edible.  too small, some were green, some started to re-grow, and some were rotting.  i'm going to give it a rest this year :)  i would love to hear how your sweet potatoes turn out :)

the carrots we grew last year (they looked so puny above ground!)  were hi-lar-i-ous !  they were huge and they looked like pants hahahaaa i'll see if i can find a photo of them :)

happy growing!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Ooooh, a magnolia tree!  Sigh. I can barely grow cedars here!  LOL

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#63 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

There are lots of magnolia trees here in Rochester, NY.  They do get hit by frost sometimes.  Then it looks like there have been dogs up there or something as the flowers go from yellow to brown.

I grew sweet potatoes last year too and they worked well, except that we ate them up way too fast.  I also ate the greens for months.  I really like them, but they wilt quickly so I don't think that you will ever be able to get them in stores.

I'm doing potatoes for the first time on a large scale this year.  Previously I've only done a few pounds.  I got 20 this year.  They are growing fast.  I need to add compost soon.

#64 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I am not sure why I just recalled  a few gardening quotes (but if you'll bear with this old English Prof. for one second, I'd like to share ) :D

"My Garden, like my Life, seems to me every Year to want Correction and require attention."

---Alexander Pope, 1736.

but of course, this one is also lovely and was part of my Dad's eulogy that I wrote  and delivered

(master gardener that he was! :) )

"..the kiss of the sun for pardon,

The song of the birds for mirth,–
One is nearer God’s heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth".
--Dorothy Frances Gurney 

It's going to be difficult to leave these garden beds in November as the majority of the the transplants
are from his garden sigh.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#65 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

I am not sure why I just recalled  a few gardening quotes (but if you'll bear with this old English Prof. for one second, I'd like to share ) :D

"My Garden, like my Life, seems to me every Year to want Correction and require attention."

---Alexander Pope, 1736.

but of course, this one is also lovely and was part of my Dad's eulogy that I wrote  and delivered

--Dorothy Frances Gurney 

It's going to be difficult to leave these garden beds in November as the majority of the the transplants

Old - No

English Professor - Yes

Quotes - Rock!!!

Thanks Professor IH :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#66 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

---Alexander Pope, 1736.

--Dorothy Frances Gurney 

Always one of my Grammy's favorites. She spends time daily in her garden all spring, summer and fall.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#67 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

Always one of my Grammy's favorites. She spends time daily in her garden all spring, summer and fall.

This was my Dad. (And his Dad, too.) 

He spent all day out there, patiently working, tanned and happy.

It's funny, but people knew my Dad's tomatoes (even if they never met him) as his plants were prolific and so, he shared buckets of them with everyone who in turn, shared them with their peeps.

When he died, someone's comment reached my mother via the "grapevine" as "Oh no! the nice tomato man is gone!"

:)  

He would have laughed his butt off over that one. I gave out tomato seed packets at his funeral.

His secret? good old cow poop.  :lol: And it works for my toms, too. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#68 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

My kids were fascinated and a little disgusted when they first learned i was putting poop where their vegetable are supposed to grow.  LOL

We skipped spring and jumped to summer!  :D  Last week it snowed. Today it is supposed to hit 27C and break a 100 odd year old daytime high record. We actually have sunburns from this weekend!

Sigh, all this warmth has wakened my garden.  :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#69 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

do you have a good old cow nearby?

meanwhile here in sunny san diego we have had steady rain for over twelve hours -- awesome for this cool chasing gal and even better for my mini garden on the patio

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#70 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

do you have a good old cow nearby?

yes, about 125 of them.! there's a.farm on the east side of the property .sometimes, they wander over....

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#71 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

hmmm will have to go find a good old cow here -- they used to roam in the hills nearby -- God I am old -- there are 30 year old houses there now!

in santa barbara we did have cows over the back fence -- sadly those have moved a bit north last time i drove thru the old hood...to make room for mcmansions

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#72 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

take them with you!  once i admired a plant in my brother's neighbor's garden and she dug it up for me.  i put it in a wine box and it flew home with me in my suitcase  :)  (we drank the wine first - that woulda been one drunk a$$ plant lolz)

my daughter is majoring in english lit, minoring in psych.  kind of cancels each other out lolz  JUST KIDDING!  :)  i seriously can't wait til she is done.  pretty sure she can do the rest for her masters Closer to Home!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#73 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Having grown up on a cow farm, that has always been my Grammy's secret too! The first sign of spring is that the cows are moved out of the barn and we clean it. Then we spread everyone's gardens and all the fields.Then with the ground thawed deep enough we plow them all. We just use a tractor because all the gardens are huge.

My MIL's husband always brings mulch in the spring for on the gardens here and I knew as soon as I pulled up outside and he had the trailer outside that it was cow poop. I would know that smell anywhere. Some people (i.e. my husband) think I am absolutely insane, but it smells like home. :ph34r: We'll have beautiful corn!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#74 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

take them with you!  once i admired a plant in my brother's neighbor's garden and she dug it up for me.  

It's not practical ...as we will not be going directly from this house to that house. (long story) but yes, if had been easy, you bet

I would be taking most of them with me. That's how they all got here!  :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#75 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

For roses, i've heard that horse droppings are good for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: