Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Chocolate

14 posts in this topic

Other than Hersheys, what other kinds of mainstream chocolate is gluten free?  I am making up a shoe box of stuff for a Birthday present and I want to include some chocolates.  I have Hershey's kisses in there but I want something else too.

Thx

Ads by Google:

Thanks!

Harry and David's Dark Chocolate Mint Truffles.

Also, Lindt makes a 70% dark chocolate block which always used to be gluten free and soy free (if that is a concern, even though their other chocolates aren't.)

Mainstream may depend on where you live. Where do you live and shop?

By Mainstream I mean at my local Kroger chain and Walmart or Target.  :)

Thanks for all of the ideas.  My nephew will love this box of stuff.  

It still varies. I live in the Seattle area, and can get Theo chocolate (for example - a better chocolate than Hershey's or Dove) at many local resellers (grocery stores and drug stores) because it is local. But you might not find it in the middle of Alabama. ;)

I like Ghiradelli. I know their white chocolate bars are gluten-free, as well as their semi and milk chips. I would check their semi and milk bars.

See's Chocolates has some gluten-free chocolates. Don't know if you have them there.

Toblerone (plain) is gluten-free. Seriously. So are Snickers.

Fudge Fatale makes gluten free chocolate as well as a caramel and espresso that I love giving as gifts to my friends and family. You can find it at your local Whole Foods or off of their website.

Other than Hersheys, what other kinds of mainstream chocolate is gluten free?  I am making up a shoe box of stuff for a Birthday present and I want to include some chocolates.  I have Hershey's kisses in there but I want something else too.

Thx

Thx

The Equal Exchange brand is gluten-free, and that's some powerful chocolate for any "connoisseur!" Plus, Endangered Species chocolate bars are great, and have tons of variety in flavor.

I like Ghiradelli. I know their white chocolate bars are gluten-free, as well as their semi and milk chips. I would check their semi and milk bars.

See's Chocolates has some gluten-free chocolates. Don't know if you have them there.

Toblerone (plain) is gluten-free. Seriously. So are Snickers.

toblerone website states it has no gluten containing ingredients, but it does not say it is gluten free. to test i tried one small bar and got a fairly immediate gluten reaction unfortunately :/

toblerone website states it has no gluten containing ingredients, but it does not say it is gluten free. to test i tried one small bar and got a fairly immediate gluten reaction unfortunately :/

Toblerone has only one product which contains a wheat ingredient, which is the Honeycomb version. So, they are basically a shared facility with only one product that is non-gluten-free.  As so many Celiac's eat Toblerone without issue and it is listed on many gluten-free candy lists, it could very well be that you had a problem with another ingredient.  There is a lot of dairy and soy in their candy. Not all reactions are caused by gluten.  I do not eat Toblerone but know many who do and they are pretty sensitive......no issue with the candy.

The best way to determine if it could be gluten is to call the company and see what their manufacturing practices are. 

That's too bad that you had a reaction.  It is too bad that sometimes we have to find out the hard way what we react to.  Thanks for sharing.  I hope you feel better soon.