This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Hawaii (big Island) & Maui

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I am going on my honeymoon to Hawaii (the Big Island) & Maui in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for gluten-free eating. TIA.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Where on the Big Island? I'm from there, haven't been gluten-free there yet, but know people who run and work at restaraunts and hotels, etc so could help you research or point you to some people.

Elonwy

BTW- Congratulations!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Wow thanks so much for your help (and the well wishes)!!! We're staying at the Marriott but are renting a car so it doesn't have to be right by the hotel.

I heard Roy's is pretty accomodating and ate there once before on a trip to Florida. Other than that though I don't really know of any restaurants that would be good for me and figure I can only eat at Roy's so many times - lol!!

I really appreciate your help.

elonwy Enthusiast

Going to be on the Kohala coast - NICE resort. Kohala is gorgeous. I don't know anyone at the Marriott, though my mom had a friend who was a chef there and they had a very decent, well run kitchen, so my guess is the hotel itself would be a good bet.

If you go into Kailua, go to Huggos, its a bit upscale but its the best restaurant in Kona since Bobadill's closed. ( Dinner only) Ask for Island Bob, he's a waiter, he will take care of you. And the porch of the restaurant extends over the surf, which is very cool and romantic.

If you get over to Volcano ( which is where i grew up, complete opposite side from where you'll be staying but awe-inspiring and beautiful) go to the Kilauea Lodge. Do not go to the Volcano House! <shudder>

At the Kileaua Lodge, ask for Albert he's the owner. Theres also a chef there named Tony when Alberts not there. I'm working on them actually getting gluten-free things on the menu, but we'll see. The food is absolutely divine, and again they will take care of you.

If you like wine, the Volcano Winery is a little-known wonderful secret. Try the honey mead, its an amazing dessert wine.

A word on Hawaii - its the most beautiful place in the world, and where I'm from and I love it. It's also a couple decades behind the rest of the planet. I wouldn't expect anyone to know what gluten is, or anything about Celiac. Except perhaps in Volcano Village where my mom is, and in Cap'n Cook where my Grandma lives, cause they do nothing but talk about me to shop-keepers.

I would take some stuff to eat with you, if you feel you need it, because theres no Whole Foods or anything like it, there will not be a store where you can buy gluten-free stuff. The good news is, they eat alot of rice.

I hope you have a great time. If you are going to try to get to Volcano and the Lodge, let me know and I'll warn them so they'll know your coming.

Elonwy

jenvan Collaborator

I was in maui about 2 years ago. Gorgeous--enjoy! I wasn't diagnosed at the times, so can't help you there. But, a few things I can remember...there is a cheeseburger in paradise and a bubba gump shrimp on maui...you could probably get hamburgers/fish etc there. I'm sure some of the nicer restaurants will work with you. I did find these hawaii groups..you could try and e-mail them and see if they have ideas.

Resource Unit

City: Kaneohe (Oahu Island)

Contacts:

Charlotte R. White

44-021 Aumoana Way

Kaneohe, HI 96744

Internet:

Charlotte R. White, whitecha@hawaii.edu

Charlotte R. White, whitehaw@hula.net

Updated: 14 Jan 1998

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resource Unit

City: Kealakekua (Hawaii Island)

Contacts:

Kathryn Ogata

PO Box 93

Kealakekua, HI 96750

Internet:

Kathryn Ogata, keogata@ILHAWAII.NET

Updated: 14 Apr 1999

rmmadden Contributor

Maui has 2 health food stores that I know of. One is on the main road leading out of the airport heading toward the other side of the island. The other is in Lahaina. They have pre-made dishes for dine-in or carryout.

Also, there is a Kobe steak house in Lahaina as well as the places Jen mentioned. Over in Kahana there is an Outback Steak House and, I know there is an sushi place over in Kapalua.

Enjoy your trip!

Cleveland Bob B)

jenvan Collaborator

nice info Bob. Lahaina ! that's where we were--couldn't remember the name. i stayed at the embassy suites in maui. wish i was there now :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Another thing to watch out for is once you get out of the tourist areas, IF you get out of the tourist areas, where the Bubba Gumps and chain resatuarants are, that hawaiians put soy sauce on everything. They don't use salt, they use soy sauce. Well, I'm exagerrating, but it is everywhere.

You will probably have better luck with health food stores on Maui. It is possible they have something in Kohala now, its been a few years since I've been there, and that where all the money on the Big Island is.

You can also get steamed rice at any McDonalds there which will be just fine, if you're in a pinch.

Man I'm not going home til christmas, you're making me all homesick.

Of course I'm over here typing this thinking - its a honeymoon - the Marriott is really nice, ya'll aren't even gonna leave the hotel ;)

Elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

A word on Bubba Gump, cause theres one in Kailua Kona as well, on the Big Island. Unless it is labeled Local Catch on the menu, thier fish is flown to them frozen from the Mainland.

So you have a fish restaurant in Hawaii, selling fish caught in Alaska, frozen for however long and then shipping to Hawaii, I have problems with that.

If you have to choose between a place like Huggos and a place like Bubba's go with Huggos, you'll get better service anyway. The waiters at the local places have been there there whole lives, thats what they do, and the people working at Bubba's are teenagers ( no offense - but I was a dumb teenager ). But that place just irritates me.

Elonwy

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Wow thank you guys so much for all of this info!!! I really appreciate it. I am definately going to try and get to Huggo's and the Volcano one you mentioned.

As for Bubba Gump's, I know everyone talks about that being there but to be honest I live in NY and work in Times Square in Manhattan. There is a Bubba Gump's literally a block away from me and I've never even tried it so I wasn't really planning on trying it in beautiful Hawaii : )

Oh and I was also planning on sending myself a box of food to both hotels so that I have snacks and stuff.

I'm so glad to hear that the Marriott will be safe hotel for me. Do you happen to know anything about the Fairmont on Maui? That is where we are staying there.

elonwy Enthusiast

I've never been to the Fairmont, so don't really know about them.

Remember Volcano House BAD, Kilaeua Lodge GOOD. Open Original Shared Link

If you want to email me seperatey with your name and a vague or specifc timetable, I'll let the lodge know you're coming. I highly recommend reservations as well.

My mom's art hangs on thier walls, she was a chef there for 15 years before she quit to paint full-time.

You're gonna have so much fun!

Elonwy

jmark Newbie

I just got back from my honeymoon in Maui and the big island at the end of september. The good news- restaurants were very receptive to celiac disease and most had a clue what it was. I did not get sick once. Since most dinners seemed to feature fish and rice the only tricky part was seeing if the sauce was ok. The bad news restaurants on Hawaii were expensive!!!!

On both islands we basically ate breakfast at our hotels each day which was a typical breakfast buffet with omelet station and assorted breakfast foods. Although eating eggs potatoes and rice with fruit everyday got a little tiresome towards the end of the vacation, it worked out well. The only day we ate out for breakfast was on the way to Hana we stopped at a small place in Paia called Alexanders. The owner was really curious about celiac disease and was very accommodating.

Dinner was not much of a problem either. On Maui we ate at:

Mama's Fish House- very accommodating- alerted me to what I could/could not eat (surprised to hear their homemade ice cream had gluten!) and as a first actually offered me fresh fruit instead of a mini soup they give most people at the beginning of the meal

Roy's- very accommodating- waitress was great- made several trips to the chef to make sure what I could have- an outstanding place with an unbelievable souffle

Tommy Bahamas- no problems-chef altered a fish dish for me and the fried plantains were great

Maui tacos- has corn tortilla tacos

Big Island:

Browns Beach house- very helpful with selections(and a great restaurant)- ate there twice (it was at our hotel)

Mauna Kea luau- got to speak to the chef by phone before making reservation (i was told the only dish (other than the obvious) was the chicken teriyaki- there was a wide range of choices of things to eat

Outback Steakhouse- no problems as usual

jenvan Collaborator

forgot about Roy's...that may have been the best food we had on our trip. definitely go there!

HAPPY DOG SUZ Enthusiast

B) Aloha,

I live on the Big Island in Kona, there is an Outback Steak House in Kailua Kona

that has a gluten free menu and we have a health food store w/some gluten free items other than that I just do my best to order things that seem safe.

Hope you have a great time on your honey moon! God Bless, ><>SUZANNE<><

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Everyone has been so helpful - THANK YOU!!!!

Elonwy - I would love to e-mail you. What's your address? Or if you prefer not to put it in here mine is jilliankos@yahoo.com

hsd1203 Newbie

not sure if you already did a search but there is a thread from Feb of 2004 with some ideas (from me and some others) on maui, including names and addresses of health food stores and friendly restaurants.

my best advice, eat when it is not super busy... will leave your waitstaff and chefs time to take care of you (and not end up with a salad that has had the croutons picked off- happened to me on our last trip, argh!)

also, there is a safeway on maui and if you check their website you can get them to email you a list of all their gluten-free foods.

also, I went with my hubby to kauai this spring and I just brought extra lara and boomi bars (available at the health food stores if you want to buy them there) (nectar bars from clif are good too) and ate tons of really fresh yummy fruit and such... very nice.

have a great time!

Heather

Archived