Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

5 Yr Old Son Still Has High Ttg After 3 Yrs On gluten-free Diet...any Ideas?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 KCGully

KCGully

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

My son is going on 4 years on gluten-free diet after being very sick and being diagnosed at 2 yrs. He's been on the diet now for that entire time but is antibody test came back the last three years over 90. We do have gluten food in the house, but really pay attention to cross contamination.

Doctors aren't sure...anyone go through this and have any other ideas of why this can happen?

Thanks,

Scott

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

My son is going on 4 years on gluten-free diet after being very sick and being diagnosed at 2 yrs. He's been on the diet now for that entire time but is antibody test came back the last three years over 90. We do have gluten food in the house, but really pay attention to cross contamination.

Doctors aren't sure...anyone go through this and have any other ideas of why this can happen?

Thanks,

Scott

unless you lock up the gluten containing food.....take the house gluten free.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hello!

So your son is 6? 

Does he attend school? -- Are they careful in the classroom and at the lunch table?

Does he visit friends or family regularly?  -- again - how careful?

How many gluten eaters are in your home?  Does everyone wash their hands after handing gluten items?

Something is keeping the antibodies producing -- you need to find it. 

Has he had other positive antibodies?  EMA? DGP?

Has he had recent nutrient testing?

Hang in there -- you can figure this out :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks,

Scott

Other autoimmune diseases can keep tTg high so unless your doctor has repeated all of the Celiac tests in the panel, there is no way of knowing if he is being cc'd or if it's from another AI disease.  tTg should never be used alone for monitoring adherence to the gluten-free diet.  If your son's DGP or the AGA IgA is negative (low) then he is not being cc'd and should be tested for other AI diseases.  Thyroid disease is one of them and is very common with Celiac Disease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: