4 replies to this topic

#1 Chippy28

Chippy28

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I have been using AG products for awhile now and just before I was diagnosed, I noticed that their packaging changed to indicate that their products are gluten free.  However, I was perusing their website and noticed the following in their FAQ:

"Q: Are all AG products gluten-free?

Yes AG products are completely gluten-free. You may notice some of our products contain wheat and oat protein. However, we use a process called hydrolysis to extract the amino acids from these proteins. Once they have been extracted, based upon FDA standards, they are considered gluten-free.

Having said this, we strongly suggest that individuals diagnosed with Celiac Disease or who have any concerns whatsoever to consult with their physician prior to using any cosmetic product."

(http://www.aghair.com/faq/)

Is this safe for celiacs or do I need to find new products?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Depends. Some react, some don't. You're going to get forty opinions here ...be prepared.

In short, a Celiac reaction shouldn't happen unless gluten hits a mucous membrane; however, some people react from cosmetics/beauty products for unknown reasons (allergy, etc.) and some people refuse to believe those people are having 1) a gluten reaction (Celiac or not) 2) or that a body product could work itself inside the body via hands on food, etc.

I was using a Devita eye product that was similarly labeled - for years. Shortly after going gluten-free I woke up with swollen eyes - to a level I've never seen before. Looked like I'd been punched. I stopped using that product and swelling went away.

I may risk it for hair products but I wouldn't risk it on lipstick - does that make sense? perhaps the best test is to try another product for a while, and if you notice a positive change in how you feel, perhaps you shouldn't go back?

Personally, I prescribe to the idea that gluten in beauty products is like cc in my kitchen. I don't want gluten on me in any form, because I don't want it to end up in my body.

There has been at least one small study feeding "de glutened" products to Celiacs. The result was that there was "no statistically significant negative result". Translation: some people reacted, some didn't, and some dropped out of the study because the reaction was so bad - and they weren't counted. So, like I said before, some people react and others don't.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Chippy28

Chippy28

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the info.  Now that I have had a few weeks to wrap my head around the diet portion of being gluten-free, I am beginning to look at all of the products that I use on myself.  My symptoms pre-dx were minimal, but I believe I was accidentally glutened earlier this week and well, I never want to do that again!! ;)   I figure that gluten is so prevalent that I am planning on replacing all of my products with gluten-free ones to try to avoid cross contamination as much as possible.  However, I am confused if hydrolyzed wheat and oat proteins are truly gluten-free or if this is just AG's way of saying that they are gluten free.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Now that I have had a few weeks to wrap my head around the diet portion of being gluten-free, I am beginning to look at all of the products that I use on myself. My symptoms pre-dx were minimal, but I believe I was accidentally glutened earlier this week and well, I never want to do that again!! ;) I figure that gluten is so prevalent that I am planning on replacing all of my products with gluten-free ones to try to avoid cross contamination as much as possible. However, I am confused if hydrolyzed wheat and oat proteins are truly gluten-free or if this is just AG's way of saying that they are gluten free.

This is a way that some businesses try to convince people their product has added value.

Some people will do ok with hydrolyzed products, others won't. Some will say its gluten-free, others will say it isn't. Since there isn't a gluten-free standard in the US for food or drugs - they can say whatever they want.

I wouldn't use it, but that's me.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Chippy28

Chippy28

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

This is a way that some businesses try to convince people their product has added value.

Some people will do ok with hydrolyzed products, others won't. Some will say its gluten-free, others will say it isn't. Since there isn't a gluten-free standard in the US for food or drugs - they can say whatever they want.

I wouldn't use it, but that's me.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know!:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: