Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Weird Reaction To Unripe Pineapple. Wtf?

pineapple

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 pretty in paleo

pretty in paleo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

so yesterday I was feeling pretty bloated after lunch, I was mystified but just shrugged it off, I couldn't have eaten anything the least bit questionable. so I probably just had to take a #2. It went away after awhile. Today same thing after lunch but it was much worse. There was bloating, aches and I had to take a couple trips to the bathroom and it lasted longer than the day before! I did some research and found that pineapple, if its not totally ripe, is toxic!! I had no idea! I had been using up a pineapple that I accidentally cut before it was ripe but didn't want to waste. This is what I found "

Eating the fruit or drinking the juice of an unripe pineapple can be extremely dangerous. In fact, the Drugs.com website explains that it's quite toxic to humans, often causing excessive diarrhea and severe vomiting." Wtf! Just thought I would share this with you guys.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have always been quite careful with cutting my pineapples. Not because of any awareness of them being toxic if they aren't ripe, but because they are freakin expensive and taste bad if they aren't. I just drop them into a paper sack and roll it up and put them in a corner somewhere until they are beautiful and gold and smell like awesomeness. I haven't had any accidents with cutting an unripe one, but this is good to know. At least you found out pretty easily what was bothering you and it wasn't gluten! :D

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 pretty in paleo

pretty in paleo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have always been quite careful with cutting my pineapples. Not because of any awareness of them being toxic if they aren't ripe, but because they are freakin expensive and taste bad if they aren't. I just drop them into a paper sack and roll it up and put them in a corner somewhere until they are beautiful and gold and smell like awesomeness. I haven't had any accidents with cutting an unripe one, but this is good to know. At least you found out pretty easily what was bothering you and it wasn't gluten! :D

I agree they are heavenly when perfectly ripe. This was my first time buying a whole pineapple and cutting it myself, since I usually buy canned. and yea I'm glad it wasn't gluten too

#4 reinventedfoodie

reinventedfoodie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

This is the first I have heard about the unripe pineapple and I wonder if that is what happened to me! I have been so ggod and strict on my eating for over a year and for the past week I have been suffering so bad! My husband brought me home a pineapple that I cut up and pre-portioned in snack freezer bags. I have been eating them off and on for the last week or two. I even mentioned when I cut it how it was not ripe! WOW! I can't wait to NOT eat it and see if I feel better :-) Thanks for the info!

#5 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Huh, maybe that toxicity's why I heard about that folk remedy about eating only pineapple for a week will make you pass any hookworms/tapeworms you have.

It's damned hard to find a good pineapple. The bottom always ripens faster than the top, and I find that by the time it's ripe enough on top, the bottom has started to rot. I get around that a little by storing it on it's side instead of upright, but it doesn't always work. It's very hard to find one that's ripe right of the store shelf.

Actually, one of the best pineapples I've eaten in recent memory was when I cut it up, some of it not quite ripe as usual, but we left in the fridge for over a weak in a container. I was really worried when I remembered it, but it seemed to have ripened really nicely in the fridge during that time period.

I also think I'm allergic to pineapple. I'm definitely allergic to the pointy outside, it itches when it touches me, either on my lips or my fingers. But I never notice it once the outside's gone, so I still eat it. Maybe that's dumb, but I don't notice anything untopical from it ever, even if I eat it unripe.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: