18 replies to this topic

#16 Happy canary

Happy canary

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

I can relate to Nikki2777 After having no weight issues for years, I came across some yummy gluten-free and egg free muffins about a month ago and have been over indulging. I have out on 2kg and now doing a 3 day juice fast and getting back into daily exercise to get that weight off. My butt expanded and my jeans were getting tight.
Caffeine free since 2005
Gluten free since late 2007
Intolerant to soy, corn, any form of chocolate
Egg free, Almond free, Bell Pepper free, Brazil Nut free since mid 2012
Almost Alcohol free since Jan 2012
I have just recently started experiencing symptoms when eating fish (past month or so)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hi Shailluis and welcome to the forum!  Do note that the person who originally posted this thread hasn't been on in over a year and hopefully their issue has passed.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Dylanm,

Though I haven't read Wheat Belly, I know enough about its content to know that it talks a lot about the problems in our current food industry. I think it is great that you have found inspiration to start eating more carefully and it makes perfect sense that you would start to feel better if your body is getting more of the nutrients that it needs. 

But I'm afraid that if you look for advice on the celiac forum, you're going to get people who are talking about organ damage from their autoimmune responses to gluten, and problems with weight gains or losses that aren't related to caloric intake and exercise, but instead are caused by vitamin deficiencies or hormone imbalances. We have problems with things like thyroid disease, weird drops in blood sugar levels, and malabsorption issues, just to name a few. 

From your original question where you say that you sleep better and have more energy eating a gluten free diet that also includes more healthy foods than you were eating before, I would presume that you don't have celiac. Those responses to the changes in your diet could arise simply by eliminating toxins and increasing nutrients. And in that case, you need to count your calories and exercise in order to lose weight, the same as anyone else.

If you do have a whole bunch of other symptoms that went away when you went gluten free that you didn't mention, then, of course, I may be wrong in my assumption that gluten isn't a problem for you. But the only way to really know is to do a gluten challenge and get tested.

But either way, congratulations on making changes to your diet that will ultimately make you healthier. Look up the calorie counts on those nuts you like, and you probably won't like them so much anymore. 

Oh, and there really isn't a typical pattern for weight loss or gain for celiacs who go gluten free. Some start out underweight due to malabsorption and they tend to gain when the damage from gluten heals. Some were overweight before going gluten free, and they might lose weight if their organs start to function more normally again. And for others, weight issues weren't a problem either before or after going gluten free. But no matter what, a gluten-free diet is not a weight-loss diet. 

#19 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Naturechick, the OP hasn't been on and active for over a year.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: