arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Recently Diagnosed...

where to start good/poor foods affordable groceries weight loss coping helpful tips

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 casharp

casharp

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Please help!!

I have been recently diagnosed with a possible gluten intolerance, and was advised by my doctor to try a gluten-free diet.  It seems that there are thousands of websites on tips and tools of this problem, but where do I start? 

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jmryan83

jmryan83

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Please help!!

I have been recently diagnosed with a possible gluten intolerance, and was advised by my doctor to try a gluten-free diet.  It seems that there are thousands of websites on tips and tools of this problem, but where do I start? 

Thanks so much!!

First thing I did when I decided to try gluten free was sort the kitchen. I live with people who do not cook/eat gluten free. So separating everything was a big help. I have my own corner of the kitchen cabinets where I've looked over all the labels and I know anytime I go there the food is "safe". Start with the obvious foods, but using the websites and tools you have - identify what ingredients in your food labels may contain "hidden" gluten and take it from there.

I haven't gotten so far as separate toaster, pots, pans, although I do have separate cooking utensils. I will most likely finish the job once I'm completely off my gluten challenge. 

#3 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hi casharp,

Before you take gluten out of your diet, have you been blood tested for celiac or undergone an endoscopy?  You must be consuming gluten for both of these tests, and do NOT let the doctors tell you otherwise :)   If not, it would probably be a good idea to at least get the blood test done for it.  Your PCP can order this test.  A full celiac panel is:

DGP igA

DGP igG

ttg igA

ttg igG

EMA

Total igA serum- this test is a control to make sure you produce enough igA for the other igA results to be valid

Welcome to the forum!  

Please help!!

Thanks so much!!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, fat malabsorption, severe pancreatic insufficiency (taking Creon) and vitamin K and D deficiency

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

Hi and welcome!

Stay on gluten until your testing is done for the most accurate results.

Once you are finished with all that, may I suggest you start here:

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

To echo the others above...  

My previous doctor gave me the same bad advice as you got. :angry:

That was a big mistake for me to not be tested back when I was at my worst.

It's worth the money to do a Celiac panel    total IgA,   tTG-IgA,  DGP-IgA,  DGP-IgG  as you will get answers.

It's worse to be in a state of uncertainty. :wacko:  

Eat lots of bread and gluten and get tested to know once and for all. -_-

#6 Kelly777

Kelly777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Trust me you need to be tested prior to going gluten free. I have a long story about that. I was gluten free for a year and a half and then thought I wasn't Celiac. I never had a test one way or the other. I broke out in DH last month and tested highly positive for Celiac when they did the lab work. Make sure you get it right the first time. You don't ever want to have this rash.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: where to start, good/poor foods, affordable groceries, weight loss, coping, helpful tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: