14 replies to this topic

#1 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I was Vegan before finding out I was Celiac, I've given in on some dairy (not much) when need be to make my diet a little easier. I love to scope this forum for dinner ideas (you all have great ideas) but I have to alter most of them to make them work for me (kinda defeats the purpose of grabbing someone else's recipe to make life easier). So Im hoping there are more vegan/vegetarian GFers that frequent this page and that we could share our dinner ideas (crosses fingers) :)
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I was vegan as well. I did wind up giving in on eggs being in things to open up my options a little for things like bread and crackers. So now I am an ovo-vegetarian who doesn't like eggs...since I don't like eating them by themselves or in egg-like states, and never have. Just don't care for the taste/texture. Dairy doesn't agree with my belly either, so none of that here. I'm still mostly vegan, and I do not purchase eggs to use in my own cooking or baking.

I like the Happy Herbivore cookbooks and website/meal plans. Lots of gluten-free recipes in the cookbooks, even a gluten-free flour blend, and the meal plans are always gluten-free or with a gluten-free option.

For dinner tonight, we had mac & Teese, which is a cheddar sauce I bought at Whole Foods...comes in a tube and is with the other vegan cheeses. I just cooked 8 oz of Tinkyada elbows and then stirred in the cheddar sauce until it all melted. We had that with a side of steamed broccoli, and I had a Bob's Red Mill brownie for dessert (made with applesauce subbed for eggs).

#3 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for sharing :) I have on occasion given in to eggs in breads and things but don't buy them. When I bake I use EnerG egg replacer, it works amazingly! I am pretty much vegan but if I'm asked about my diet I usually say gluten-free veggie because I will give in if I have too, the dairy side effects are way more tolerable than being glutened!

For dinner I had fresh salad with olive oil and cilantro with fresh hummus and cucumber chips :) ill wake up around midnight starving! I was going to have brownies as well but was drained today and never got around to baking them :(

#4 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

For me the dairy side effects are pretty bad too, actually more painful, while being glutened is very itchy and then annoying from a bathroom standpoint for a few days, makes me tired/grouchy, etc. So I usually wind up telling restaurants gluten free vegan so they don't try to serve me a frittata or something. LOL But I don't eat out much anymore and mostly have a short list of safe places that haven't glutened me so far. One is a pizza place that I really like that also has vegan cheese, but I'm not sure the employees are too thrilled to have to get out a fresh sauce container or fresh toppings for me.

I'll try to remember to come in here and post on a regular basis what we do for dinner, so people can get ideas. I think tomorrow I am going to do a tofu chili in the Crock Pot. I'm increasing my strength training and trying to increase my protein intake, which is proving to be pretty difficult without consuming a lot of fat along with it (i.e. nuts).

I made those brownies a couple of months ago and cut them up, wrapped them individually in plastic wrap, and froze them in a larger freezer bag. Works great for portion control.

#5 pretty in paleo

pretty in paleo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Baked potato with coconut oil instead of butter and fresh chives, salt and pepper. Now I'm hungry lol thanks ;)

#6 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

I have to go out of town to find a restaurant I can safely eat at, so I do t eat out much either. I love mellow mushroom though I've never had a problem there, although I was super worried about it, being a pizza place and CC issues. I would like more crock pot recipes and I need more protein myself, I don't have a big problem with soy but when I make my tofu and potato tacos ( one meal I can successfully get my boys to eat) I do get a little gassy. I do appreciate any ideas, I love to come up with new recipes but sometimes I just don't wanna think about it ya know?

Mmm baked potato sounds yummy! I had coconut yogurt called so delicious (dairy, soy, and gluten free) with granola nuts and berries for breakfast yummo!

#7 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Mellow Mushroom does a GREAT job -- their gluten-free menu even outlines their procedure to prevent CC at the bottom. They wash up, change aprons, use separate toppings, and separate utensils, along with a screen that keeps the pizza from contacting the stone in the oven.

The tofu chili is a Whole Foods Market recipe...I'm just going to throw it in the Crock Pot instead of making it on the stove. :)

#8 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

Yes mellow mushroom is my favo restaurant hands down! I love the staff, they never make me feel alien for my diet needs. Asheville is where I have to go to get good safe food and a lot restaurants there have gluten-free menus I am thankful to have somewhere to go even if I have to drive 45mins to get there.

#9 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

Last night I made potato tacos (always a winner with the kids). Was a loooong day yesterday. Didn't get home till around 8p (oldest son had baseball his team won YAY!) So I didn't want to spend hours in the kitchen when I had baths to get through. This meal doesn't have me standing over the stove the whole time either so I can swap laundry around feed the bunny (Honey Bunnies (: <3 him! ) you know the usual nightly scramble. Its super easy and like I said the kids looove em! I chop potatoes super small brown them in the skillet in coconut or olive oil, add taco seasoning bam! Taco filling! :) I heat some hard corn taco shells in the oven and fill them with the yumminess, they boys put Mozzarella cheese on theirs I put cilantro, hummus, avacodo whatever I have and sounds good at the time, sometimes I make rice as a side but always have lots left over (the boys don't care for rice much). That was my yummy dinner, I had waaay to much of :) 

#10 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Dinner tonight will be BBQ chickpea wraps...super simple, brown rice tortilla, Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, and mashed chickpeas, with spinach.

#11 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Ooo that sounds yummy! We had spagitti (another kid favo) they finished the whole pot tonight! My oldest is gluten-free as well and this was the first night since he was 4 yrs old that he asked for seconds! Made my heart dance! He's feeling so much better! Proud Momma tonight folks :)

#12 lauraturnbull

lauraturnbull

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

I am gluten free and me and dh are both veggie. We eat a mostly vegan diet, with a little dairy thrown in from time to time. I occasionally eat eggs (ie. only in souffle!). I have a few go-to dinners that always go down well:

• red lentil dhal with brown rice
  • 'gardeners' pie (a shepheards pie with mushrooms and lentils in place of the meat)
  • hm gluten-free pizza (with or without cheese, depending on how healthy we're being)
  • vegetable curries
  • mixed bean chilli with brown rice
  • spag bol with boiled whole buckwheat and mushrooms in place of meat
  • Vegetable stir fry with rice noodles (this is ridiculously quick since rice vermicelli are almost instantly cooked when added to boiling water)
  • Risottos (using pretty much whatever veg I have in the house)

That's all I can think of for now but there is more! Let me know if you want info or recipes or anything. Hopefully it will get some ideas going :)

#13 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Oh those are great! Thanks for sharing! I too frequent the veggie stir fry w/rice or noodles!

Last night I made spring rolls stuffed with carrot, kale, lettuce, and bean spirits sooo good! If I do t have time I love to just throw some kale and apples in some olive oil with a shot of apple cider vinegar!

#14 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Made this the other night and it was delish...

"Meatball" Subs, serves 2

2 Schar sub rolls, baked and cut but not quite all the way through...like a hot dog bun

Franklin Farms Veggieballs

Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Spaghetti Sauce

Daiya mozzarella

Cook the veggieballs in the sauce (I did it in the microwave), then spoon some sauce into the split on each  bun. Place 3 veggieballs in each bun and cover with more sauce, then top with Daiya. Bake until cheese is melted and bread starts to toast a little on the edges.

I wound up with 3 leftover meatballs and sauce...you could use it to make spaghetti and meatballs for one. :)

#15 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Oooooo that sounds amazing!!! I'm going to have to try that! I haven't had a meatball sub in something like four years!!!! Definitely going on the shopping list! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: