This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bacon

Tiredsean

Tiredsean Explorer

I know normal bacon has no gluten,but for those avoiding MSG I keep reading its in bacon(under what name) ???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Pork.

Seriously, pork.

Glutamic acid is an amino acid which is a constituent of many proteins. The aging and curing of bacon allows some of the meat's proteins to begin breaking down. MSG is the sodium salt which forms when free glutamic acid encounters salt.

To a lesser degree this is also true of well aged beef.

Adalaide Mentor

MSG can be naturally occurring in many places, what is more concerning is the added MSG. I do not recall seeing this on any bacon labels.

I have an extreme sensitivity to MSG and react within minutes to it as an additive. I have never reacted to it in its naturally occurring state in meats and do not concern myself with this. As always, your mileage may vary.

IrishHeart Veteran

I cannot tolerate added MSG or large amounts of it. I have never been able to enjoy Chinese take out like other normal human beings.

It gives me a headache, makes me nauseous and I swell up like the Goodyear Blimp.

My hands look like baseball mitts (or Mickey Mouse's  hands). 

But, I eat bacon. No, the truth is, I love bacon and the natural-occurring MSG content is not an issue.

I am avoiding it now for other reasons. <_< but I expect to get it back shortly. :) whoohoo!

SensitiveMe Rookie

Applegate organics makes an uncured bacon called Sunday Bacon and it is labeled gluten and casein free and with no nitrites or nitrates added.

Two people in my family had reactions to what we believe must be MSG. My nephew got a pounding headache and collapsed after eating Chinese takeout. Someone here in the house with me suddenly had trouble breathing after eating Chinese takeout and I had to take him to the Emergency Room. The doctors told them to never eat Chinese food again.

My brother who had a refrigeration business and maintained them for restaurants and such told me a Chinese restaurant where he fixed the refrigeration keeps barrels of MSG and throws them by the handfuls on the food. And this is the restaurant where they both got reactions from. I no longer eat Chinese food but I do notice some restaurants advertise that they don't use MSG.

Archived